Next Giles County Coach?

rocketsrule

Didn't Blair leave the OC staff because he didn't like all the work?

Great point. Marshall County has now set the standard for this region. If the Blair guy didn't like all the work that OC and Osteen put in then what makes you think he would like it now? The whole staff at Marshall County are extremely hard workers, dedicated to the kids, and they put in tons of hours all year long. That by no means makes them God's gift to coaching, but it shows how hard you have to work if you want to be great. That combined with the talent that's there almost every year at Marshall County creates special seasons like the one that just ended. 

One frequent complaint of Giles fans when Walt was there was that he just didn't work nearly as hard as the previous coaching staff. Not sure if Blair will be any more appealing to them once the new wears off...

I think the more correct response is Coach Blair left because he did not agree with all the underhanded rule breaking policies of the previous staff. If practicing illegally is considered out working the oponnent then alot of coaches sure don't work as "hard" as the old staff. Coach Blair is a good man, good coach.As far as the his working "hard" mentality heard a Coach named Gary Rankin, won a few state titles and just got inducted into Coaches Hall of fame, say your wasting your time if you practice more than 2 and 1/2 hours. Said if you couldn't get it in in 2 and 1/2 hours then you doing too much. After that time you just spinning your wheels. I would tend to agree with him

I think the more correct response is Coach Blair left because he did not agree with all the underhanded rule breaking policies of the previous staff. If practicing illegally is considered out working the oponnent then alot of coaches sure don't work as "hard" as the old staff. Coach Blair is a good man, good coach.As far as the his working "hard" mentality heard a Coach named Gary Rankin, won a few state titles and just got inducted into Coaches Hall of fame, say your wasting your time if you practice more than 2 and 1/2 hours. Said if you couldn't get it in in 2 and 1/2 hours then you doing too much. After that time you just spinning your wheels. I would tend to agree with him

Coach you know the ins and outs at GC as someone that has been there, had success and got out at the perfect time! Who should GC go after to hire and have you been contacted to interview yet? Are you interested in the job at all?

Coach you know the ins and outs at GC as someone that has been there, had success and got out at the perfect time! Who should GC go after to hire and have you been contacted to interview yet? Are you interested in the job at all?

justagoodoleboy, not sure who GC is going to hire but from the info I have got they have some very good candidates including Blair and Flippo. My advice would be look for long term stability the program is about to have its 3 head coach in a 4 year period. 4 if you count interim time with Blair. For that to happen the good folks in GC, and there are many, must step back and let the new HC do his job and run the program the way the coach sees fit. OC had his ways and agree with how he did it or not he was very successful. Can't argue that. With that said there are more than one way to skin a cat and because a new coach may do it differently doesn't make it wrong or doesn't mean he can't be successful. Good luck to the bobcats great community with many great people there.

I have to go with Play the Game 150 on this one, your wasting time with Blair. He is not a bad assistant but he is NOT head coach material, he is firm believer in the good ole boy system which is not how you build a quality program.. Either you want to rebuild this system or not!! There is alot of good candidates out there, come on!!!

I have to go with Play the Game 150 on this one, your wasting time with Blair. He is not a bad assistant but he is NOT head coach material, he is firm believer in the good ole boy system which is not how you build a quality program.. Either you want to rebuild this system or not!! There is alot of good candidates out there, come on!!!

I have to agree. With all due respect, I think he is a great guy...BUT...he was our DC this year and we were absolutely terrible on D. Maybe down the road he would be a good candidate, but not now.

We really need to go after a defensive minded head coach. I think that is still greatly overlooked when you go back and look at those great teams we had, to include our championship team. Sure we had a couple of great quarterbacks, but our defensive guys helped us win a lot of those games during that stretch.

Well I heard they finished interviews Saturday and will decide on the finalist this week. I heard this from a friend that knows one of our Tipton co coaches that interviewed.

If what i have heard is true, they are leaning toward a coach that runs the Wing-T.  If that is what we get, there won't be any more trips to the title game for a very long time.  Teams that win titles in 4A and up don't run this.  It will be boring to watch.   It will also pretty much guarantee we won't be beating Marshall County anytime soon as long as Osteen is there.   Unless we are totally dominant on offense and defense, we'll probably never make it past the quarterfinals of the playoffs.  Sad.  

It's amazing to me that many of those on the selection committee have seen what it takes to win big and be competitive with Fulton, Greenville, etc. (not talking about anything underhanded) but, would consider hiring a coach that runs an offense that will likely never yield more than 7 or 8 wins a year.  In my opinion, and admittedly limited football knowledge, the Wing-T is for 1A, 2A and 3A.   So, if this is what we get, be prepared to maybe have a nice team most years, a good one occasionally, but probably never a great one that brings home the gold ball.    

Apparently the same logic that brought us Coach 1A Walt Smith is bringing us another coach and scheme that will not deliver what parents, players, and fans want.  Yes, do I hear some of the players are not happy with the direction the coaching search is going either.  We can say goodbye to the days of quarterbacks like Bo Wallace, Al Cobb, and Trevor Holder.  Receivers like Zack Bailey and Kenton Baker who were among the top in the state, as well as those like Lucas Harrison who was a solid receiver, and could have been top tier with better coaching.   I wish Coach Flippo could have been here to coach Trevor Holder at QB.  

I may be wrong, but I think mediocrity is on the way.  I would give Coach Flippo a shot before going to a run oriented offense.  At least we would have a more traditional offense that was run/pass balanced.  You know, like any good high school, college, or pro team is.  

My .02.  Feel free to bash me.  I'm so sick over it right now, piling on won't make a difference. 

Edited by LCgrad

If what i have heard is true, they are leaning toward a coach that runs the Wing-T. If that is what we get, there won't be any more trips to the title game for a very long time. Teams that win titles in 4A and up don't run this. It will be boring to watch. It will also pretty much guarantee we won't be beating Marshall County anytime soon as long as Osteen is there. Unless we are totally dominant on offense and defense, we'll probably never make it past the quarterfinals of the playoffs. Sad.

It's amazing to me that many of those on the selection committee have seen what it takes to win big and be competitive with Fulton, Greenville, etc. (not talking about anything underhanded) but, would consider hiring a coach that runs an offense that will likely never yield more than 7 or 8 wins a year. In my opinion, and admittedly limited football knowledge, the Wing-T is for 1A, 2A and 3A. So, if this is what we get, be prepared to maybe have a nice team most years, a good one occasionally, but probably never a great one that brings home the gold ball.

Apparently the same logic that brought us Coach 1A Walt Smith is bringing us another coach and scheme that will not deliver what parents, players, and fans want. Yes, do I hear some of the players are not happy with the direction the coaching search is going either. We can say goodbye to the days of quarterbacks like Bo Wallace, Al Cobb, and Trevor Holder. Receivers like Zack Bailey and Kenton Baker who were among the top in the state, as well as those like Lucas Harrison who was a solid receiver, and could have been top tier with better coaching. I wish Coach Flippo could have been here to coach Trevor Holder at QB.

I may be wrong, but I think mediocrity is on the way. I would give Coach Flippo a shot before going to a run oriented offense. At least we would have a more traditional offense that was run/pass balanced. You know, like any good high school, college, or pro team is.

My .02. Feel free to bash me. I'm so sick over it right now, piling on won't make a difference.

tell Oakland the wing t doesn't work at a higher level