DB FOOTBALL=TIME FOR A CHANGE!

DBfaninthe37660

Uh, ok.... DB spent the last 6 years playing 70% local teams, then in 2015 started in the new 6A conference.     So you are equating Bearden, Bradley Central, Jeff Co, etc. with Volunteer, Central, Crockett, Boone, etc.?

Uh, Volunteer, Central, Crockett, & Boone were not in the Big East Conference. Come on man! Science Hill & DB were the only local teams in the Big East.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, Volunteer, Central, Crockett, & Boone were not in the Big East Conference. Come on man! Science Hill & DB were the only local teams in the Big East.

I know, but the point was that DB and SH have both played mostly local teams for the last several years.    In 2015 both had to start playing mostly 6A teams from out of the area.     Compared to local teams  the 6A teams of this year are definitely the "Big Boys".     Now comparing todays 6A's to the old Big East, your point is taken...

I know, but the point was that DB and SH have both played mostly local teams for the last several years.    In 2015 both had to start playing mostly 6A teams from out of the area.     Compared to local teams  the 6A teams of this year are definitely the "Big Boys".     Now comparing todays 6A's to the old Big East, your point is taken...

Ok, but still. Both DB and Science Hill also played some good teams. Pretty much all teams have 3 or 4 teams on their schedule that they only have to play the starters 2 or 3 quarters against. You named 4 weak teams that DB and Science Hill had on their schedule. The other six were pretty good teams. It's not like the two teams don't know what it's like to play good competition. What they don't know is how to play defense against a good team.

If I were DB and was looking for a good young head coach I would be going to Dresden ,TN and hire Derek Rang so fast it wouldn't be funny. Look what he did at Powell and now Dresden. Not only that he played for GQ at Maryville which would be the second reason I would go after him. This is the best young coach in the State of Tennessee.

Ok, but still. Both DB and Science Hill also played some good teams. Pretty much all teams have 3 or 4 teams on their schedule that they only have to play the starters 2 or 3 quarters against. You named 4 weak teams that DB and Science Hill had on their schedule. The other six were pretty good teams. It's not like the two teams don't know what it's like to play good competition. What they don't know is how to play defense against a good team.

How many starters you got coming back next year?

How many starters you got coming back next year?

Hard to say at this point but I'm hearing it's going to be less than what we thought unless there are some coaching changes. That great freshman team from last year is evaporating right before our very eyes. It's a shame that some coaches are putting their egos ahead of the school and football program.

If I were DB and was looking for a good young head coach I would be going to Dresden ,TN and hire Derek Rang so fast it wouldn't be funny. Look what he did at Powell and now Dresden. Not only that he played for GQ at Maryville which would be the second reason I would go after him. This is the best young coach in the State of Tennessee.

Is Rang on the market or was this just a suggestion for DB to go poaching?

DB will not make any coaching changes any time soon. About two more seasons like this year and the good ole boy network falls under it's own weight. Then changes will be made. The band can only take you so far.

You never know, DB may do ok next year.   You'll never beat Maryville but the rest are beatable on any given night.    Heck every team should be allowed to have a bad season every now and then, even Maryville went 3-5-1 once.    DB's losing seasons are very few and far between.

But I totally know what you mean about Kingsport's GOB network....

Everyone understands that the coaches are teachers first...right?  It's not like college, or professional sports where all parts of the coaches job is related to their sport.  These guys get to school no later than 7:30am for most of them and teach classes until 2:55 or 3:15pm.  Then during their lunch break they watch film, game plan, plan for practice.

Now, take the head coach out of this conversation, but if you count the number of hours these coaches put into film, weight room, game planning, practice, games, summer camps and divide that by the stipend they receive to actually coach you might come out to about $0.50 an hour.

It's not like people are beating down the door to coach high school athletics, and usually the people that do want to either are not qualified to teach-much less qualified to be around young people to help mentor. 

Yes, I'm disappointed that DB had a bad season, but Good Grief-put some things in perspective. 

So much talk about the great band that DB has.  Yes they are good, do you know what the band director does all day?  Yep, that's right he teaches his band students.  His job is revolved around the band.  The same cannot be said of all the high school coaches, they don't get to teach and coach their players all day long.

I'm not saying that some coaches might not be cut out to do the job, but think about everything they sacrifice To Do this job.  Everything the athletic coaches do is all after school and is monitored by the TSSAA.  To my knowledge the band does not have any organization that monitors their practice time, or amount of contact that the band director has with them during the "off season". 

Everyone understands that the coaches are teachers first...right?  It's not like college, or professional sports where all parts of the coaches job is related to their sport.  These guys get to school no later than 7:30am for most of them and teach classes until 2:55 or 3:15pm.  Then during their lunch break they watch film, game plan, plan for practice.

Now, take the head coach out of this conversation, but if you count the number of hours these coaches put into film, weight room, game planning, practice, games, summer camps and divide that by the stipend they receive to actually coach you might come out to about $0.50 an hour.

It's not like people are beating down the door to coach high school athletics, and usually the people that do want to either are not qualified to teach-much less qualified to be around young people to help mentor. 

Yes, I'm disappointed that DB had a bad season, but Good Grief-put some things in perspective. 

So much talk about the great band that DB has.  Yes they are good, do you know what the band director does all day?  Yep, that's right he teaches his band students.  His job is revolved around the band.  The same cannot be said of all the high school coaches, they don't get to teach and coach their players all day long.

I'm not saying that some coaches might not be cut out to do the job, but think about everything they sacrifice To Do this job.  Everything the athletic coaches do is all after school and is monitored by the TSSAA.  To my knowledge the band does not have any organization that monitors their practice time, or amount of contact that the band director has with them during the "off season". 

Good point about the band," but " the other 26,000 plus high schools not counting private schools have the same opportunity to practice and become good bands.DB just finished 3rd in the country in their class and 12th overall.I'd say DB is getting it's money's worth when it comes to the band program

We sure are pitiful,aren't we. ? Contrast a coach and an English teacher. If a football coach doesn't produce enough wins, He is out. Nobody pays any attention if an English teacher can't produce kids capable of getting on message boards without multitudes of spelling and grammar errors. Having said that , I too, can,t  wait for football season,and wonder why the coach can't see what's obvious to me. Pitiful,aren't we?