Greenback Recruiting

OutlawJoseyWales

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of hardly any counties that aren't open enrollment. Trousdale isn't but we only have one school in the county so we never will be. Does anyone know any counties with multiple schools that aren't open enrollment. Sumner county may not be but I'm not even sure about that

The "catch" to this situation is...the closed zone systems are that way BY THEIR OWN CHOOSING. The public school system is run by the respective counties in which they reside, with no outside authority. If the open zone schools have an advantage ( some have a great one...some not at all) it's not controlled by the OZ's...it stems from the restrictions placed upon them by their own governing body. Don't look to the TSSAA to "fix" your problem...go see your representative on the school board.

The "catch" to this situation is...the closed zone systems are that way BY THEIR OWN CHOOSING. The public school system is run by the respective counties in which they reside, with no outside authority. If the open zone schools have an advantage ( some have a great one...some not at all) it's not controlled by the OZ's...it stems from the restrictions placed upon them by their own governing body. Don't look to the TSSAA to "fix" your problem...go see your representative on the school board.

no problems here my friend. With everyone talking about open enrollment I was just thinking most counties are so I don't see any way to level it out. The only solution is on each school. Get a better coach, build up your program so your kids want to stay instead of jumping ship. Not a easy thing to do. The powerhouse of the county will always get the kids. Not faulting the parents, anyone with an athlete would do the same if resources allowed it.

no problems here my friend. With everyone talking about open enrollment I was just thinking most counties are so I don't see any way to level it out. The only solution is on each school. Get a better coach, build up your program so your kids want to stay instead of jumping ship. Not a easy thing to do. The powerhouse of the county will always get the kids. Not faulting the parents, anyone with an athlete would do the same if resources allowed it.

Little misunderstanding...I didn't mean to imply that my post was directed at you, just tagged your post to continue your thoughts. I actually favor a rural/urban split...it would address the open zone systems with nearby populations large enough to be an advantage.

I'd like the ones that keep preaching for a urban/rural split would explain what would constitute a urban and rural school. I guess urban would be anything under a certain mile radius of a city of a certain size and/or has a Wal-Mart...haha...and rural would be determined based on the cow population you have. Also...you thought travel for certain regions and the old Z plans were bad...a urban/rural split would be even worse. IT WOULD NEVER WORK!!!

I'd like the ones that keep preaching for a urban/rural split would explain what would constitute a urban and rural school. I guess urban would be anything under a certain mile radius of a city of a certain size and/or has a Wal-Mart...haha...and rural would be determined based on the cow population you have. Also...you thought travel for certain regions and the old Z plans were bad...a urban/rural split would be even worse. IT WOULD NEVER WORK!!!

You guys don't even have a convenience store....I'd say that's "Rural" lol, but your comment about travel is on point.

Edited by gcapride

You guys don't even have a convenience store....I'd say that's "Rural" lol, but your comment about travel is on point.

Careful there now, Pride...we have one, plus a Dollar General and now an actual working red light...we're moving up, just give us some time. haha

Edited by cherokean

Exactly!! Which is why GB and all other open zoned schools should be moved in a division with the privates that are playing in public classification now. Can't be a hypocrit and just move the privates

TSSAA doesn't consider it open zoned if there is no bus service and enrollment isn't automatic i.e. a request has to be made.  Otherwise nearly every county in the state would be considered open enrollment. 

From page 6 of TSSAA bylaws

Territory
– For a public school, the “territory†of the school is the geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education. For a system-wide public school, the “territory†of the school is the geographic boundaries of the school system. For a non-public school, the “territory†of the school is the area within a twenty (20) mile
radius from the school
Edited by rlh

Greenback better load up with more recruits, because they got exposed at state. They had better talent than all the Class A team sin East Tennessee but didn't dominate at all. I'm still not sold on their coaching.

I thought the coaching was pretty good this year. Championship game was the exception. The better team won gold but GB should not have been waxed like they were. Tackling was awful and passing game out of sync all day. Played like a team that was content just to get there and expected to lose. Running game was abandoned long before the game became a blowout. Hard to find much else to fault on the season. A couple shaky games early but they got hot at the right time. Not many " recruits " come through Greenback. School is new but it was designed and approved by morons. While a big improvement over the previous building it lacks way too many basics to be a selling point. Building looks and feels like a middle school which is exactly what it will be if the Loudon County hacks get their way. 95% of the talent is home grown, check out the youth football program. Greenback always has been the #### stepchild of the county. Town would have been far better served as part of Blount , maybe even Monroe counties. Only thing that the small school offers over their big brothers in Blount is playing time if the athlete is decent. Nothing unique about that, all 1A schools offer the same thing. Congrats to Greenback and a great year !