GCA 2016

Raven52

Not pointing fingers or making accusations, but the reality is that the perception of how some students end up at GCA has a lot to do with their difficulty in scheduling publics in their own classification and nearby 2A/3A/4A and even near by 5A schools.  

And it is the same for Knoxville Catholic and CAK.  

And again, not an accusation and I am all for parental choice in education for their children.  It's simply the perception that is out there, true or not.  

Last year was the first year I really got to see how all the private schools were run. I think for the most a lot of people moving into Knoxville that can afford to send their kids to a private school do so because of the bad rap most public schools as a whole have and afraid of sending their kids into the unknown. I can understand why some people don't like private schools but I am against any private school that offers reduced fees to let their children play sports and those are the ones that should be in a much higher classification.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was the first year I really got to see how all the private schools were run. I think for the most a lot of people moving into Knoxville that can afford to send their kids to a private school do so because of the bad rap most public schools as a whole have and afraid of sending their kids into the unknown. I can understand why some people don't like private schools but I am against any private school that offers reduced fees to let their children play sports and those are the ones that should be in a much higher classification.

And I think that is the big issue that most public schools have with the privates, the fact that they play in D1 instead of in D2 with the other privates come playoff time.  Like I said, I am all for parental choice in education, but to play the charade that there aren't advantages at most privates over smaller publics is just not even reasonable nor rational to believe.  The privates need to compete for state championships withlike privates, and publics need to compete for state championships with like publics. 

And in East Tennessee the issue with privates is travel, and not necessarily for football.  In football with only 5 regular season road games, it means a couple of trips to middle Tennessee in the regular season for the Knoxville area privates, which is doable.  The real issue is with other sports who play more games and would have to travel to Chattanooga or middle Tennessee more often and for mid week district games.  And I see that point.  

And during the football playoffs, with the way it is set up now, everybody travels - even for first round games, unless one is in a region in a major metro area like Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville.  

What I hear from the pubic school coaches I talk to, and given my involvement in broadcasting high school football in this area are quite a few, is that although they would obviously rather have the kids in their zone stay at their school they don't begrudge parents sending their kids to private/parochial schools.  They simply want those privates to play against like privates come playoff time.  

The new rules are the reason all will be moving to d2, most offer some sorta aid. Private schools have a different situation and it surely has its advantages.I'll be glad when they compete with schools that has the ability to operate the same way. But City schools and open enrollment schools can have HUGE advantages as well. Don't think there is anyway to ever deal with all the unique situations. 1a schools in a City the size of Memphis is a pretty big hurdle for small rural schools.

But City schools and open enrollment schools can have HUGE advantages as well. 

Don't disagree with that what so ever and that is an issue that needs to be addressed, as well.  

But the fact that the TSSAA is taking this first step with the public/private issue at least indicates that they realize now that issues do need to be addressed.  Let's get this one dealt with, and then the open zone/magnet issue can be tackled.  

Edited by HTV

Don't disagree with that what so ever and that is an issue that needs to be addressed, as well.  

But the fact that the TSSAA is taking this first step with the public/private issue at least indicates that they realize now that issues to need to be addressed.  Let's get this one dealt with, and then the open zone/magnet issue can be tackled.  

Rome wasn't built in a day. Just glad they are looking at things. You can look at about all the state Champions and see the advantages they have over lots of other schools. Kids flocking to strong programs is the deal.

The new rules are the reason all will be moving to d2, most offer some sorta aid. Private schools have a different situation and it surely has its advantages.I'll be glad when they compete with schools that has the ability to operate the same way. But City schools and open enrollment schools can have HUGE advantages as well. Don't think there is anyway to ever deal with all the unique situations. 1a schools in a City the size of Memphis is a pretty big hurdle for small rural schools.

I agree with both comments.Very hard to compete in 1A against schools with 60 or better players,very hard!

You guys need to take this to the public vs private thread. This is a GCA 2016 Football Thread. You, as a moderator, don't need to continue encouraging this debate that you brought into this thread. Take it elsewhere.

My apologies,you are correct.Any new things going with the football program??Let's talk little feller!LOL.