Alcoa 2016

AlcoaBasketball

I was also somewhat confused to see some Maryville players at the Alcoa scrimmage in street clothes ?? Somethings up!? 

You should be confused especially since Maryville was on a Bus half the way to Cookeville to play Ensworth at Tennessee Tech. We saw a couple of Alcoa players last night at McDonalds around 10 p.m. in street clothes but I also wasn't expecting them to have their uniforms on.

Edited by BarneySox2007

Yep both teams looked pretty good for a first scrimmage. Lots of speed on the field for both teams.

I thought the Alcoa defense played real good for as many players they lost from last season. The offense looked a little out of sink at first. Plus, the starting QB Myers got hurt playing defense and never threw the ball well. QB Russell took over for the first team. Kind of silly to put a senior QB on 1st team kick off AND start in the 1st team defensive secondary. Alcoa's freshman was moving the ball well at the end as the scrimmage was called for lighting. Had they got their full offensive series like West, IMO, they would has scored in a few more plays to the even the freshman team scores at 1 each.

Special teams...especially the kicking and field goal units looks the best I have ever seen at Alcoa. 40 yards and in Money!! Kick offs.....through the back of the end zone. Punts brought rain.

I was also somewhat confused to see some Maryville players at the Alcoa scrimmage in street clothes ?? Somethings up!?

The player you saw is out right now with a pulled hamstring. Nothing is up, we had three that didn't go to the scrimmage because of injuries.

Ones: even at 1 to 1. Twos: even at 1 to 1. Threes: West 1 to 0. Scrimmage called at that point due to storms. Ones only had two series each. West looked good with lots of speed. Alcoa ones were slow starting as usual but began moving the ball well on the ground on their TD drive.

West has Big play potential and should compete for the 5A gold ball, at least top 5 or 6 teams in that class.

Two explosive playmakers, lots of other athletes and the DT #78 is a load. The A gap blitz gave the Tornadoes some trouble at first.

When Alcoa lined up in the triple I, they ran down hill and in chunks. Alcoa D looked pretty good except for giving up a couple of big plays and the took a couple of bad angles ( I think they underestimated West's speed) Alcoa D also missed a couple of picks they should have had. Russell looked very composed in the pocket. Lots of positives and plenty of time to correct the mistakes. Beneficial scrimmage for both teams.

Yep both teams looked pretty good for a first scrimmage. Lots of speed on the field for both teams.

I thought the Alcoa defense played real good for as many players they lost from last season. The offense looked a little out of sink at first. Plus, the starting QB Myers got hurt playing defense and never threw the ball well. QB Russell took over for the first team. Kind of silly to put a senior QB on 1st team kick off AND start in the 1st team defensive secondary. Alcoa's freshman was moving the ball well at the end as the scrimmage was called for lighting. Had they got their full offensive series like West, IMO, they would has scored in a few more plays to the even the freshman team scores at 1 each.

Special teams...especially the kicking and field goal units looks the best I have ever seen at Alcoa. 40 yards and in Money!! Kick offs.....through the back of the end zone. Punts brought rain.

I agree.  Alcoa's kicking really impressed me.  They put on a clinic in that regard.  West as lots of work to do in that area.  I thought Alcoa looked big on the "O" line.  The way I see it, Alcoa is Alcoa and Maryville is Maryville.  Both of those teams set the bar pretty high for the rest of the state, IMHO.  I was proud of West being able to play with Alcoa like they did.  Last year Alcoa cleaned West's clock.  We don't see Alcoa or Maryville in the regular season so scrimmages are the only way to get that kind of exposure.  I look for Alcoa to have another strong year after they get all the kinks worked out.

Alcoa 28

Knox Central 10

All scrimmages done....Webb Up!

Ok, lets be honest. The REAL final was Alcoa's Varsity 14 to Central's 10. Where you came up with 28 is when the JV's came in. We didn't do well on Offense but we had some players out and Alcoa's defense is VERY good. Alcoa's offense didn't do much on our Defense but when you can't score TD's on offense its almost impossible to win. Its all good tho, just a scrimmage.