East Nashville vs Upperman

bob77

That is only partially true. Most are picked by lottery but x amount have to go to minority kids. More to this story than people realize.

This is not true. At least not in the way I believe you are presenting it. East Nashville and Pearl-Cohn are actually zoned for students in the local area. Now, they both happen to be in areas with a high percentage of minorities. So students who are within walking distance of the schools, and have maintained a minimum academic level BEFORE being admitted to the schools, may attend.  Hume-Fogg  and MLK are not zoned, but they have feeder schools. Prospective students for the high schools at the feeder schools are not automatically admitted. They also have to maintain a minimum academic standard. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to say this then I'm done. Nobody said a word about MLK last year until they won. Then it was we need to separate the magnet schools. MLK is a top academic school in TN and the US. Nobody said a word about EN this year. In fact most had already crowned elizabethton. If they hadn't crowned elizabethton it was Westview. Now East wins and oh well we need to separate magnets again. EN has had a 100% graduation rate for several years or very close to it. It's the third top magnet school in metro behind HF and MLK. And there is no history with this girls program. It was their first region and state championship. Why not congratulate the girls and coach.

People have talked about Magnet schools since Doc Shelton was getting top talent and winning.

Magent schools getting great talent is not a new thing. Congrats to the kids and good luck next year!!!!

The girls basketball program at East has had limited success until now, to say the least!

In twenty years the girls team has made the Region semis 3 times until this year. Last year's team could have made it to the state if not for MLK being upset in the district semis and ending up in the same bracket with East in the Region.

Funny, nobody complained about the magnet school that lost every game for two straight years....

These girls did a great job! They are talented and hard working and deserve all the credit!

The Levy girl is awesome! I didn't think she played as well as she could have (east girls had something to do with that) and she still ended up with 19. She is going to be great! I could see East and Upperman squaring off in the state tourney again next year! Great year for both teams!

The girls basketball program at East has had limited success until now, to say the least!

In twenty years the girls team has made the Region semis 3 times until this year. Last year's team could have made it to the state if not for MLK being upset in the district semis and ending up in the same bracket with East in the Region.

Funny, nobody complained about the magnet school that lost every game for two straight years....

These girls did a great job! They are talented and hard working and deserve all the credit!

The Levy girl is awesome! I didn't think she played as well as she could have (east girls had something to do with that) and she still ended up with 19. She is going to be great! I could see East and Upperman squaring off in the state tourney again next year! Great year for both teams!

Upperman might want to play a little "zone" next year if they want to beat East..just sayin :popcorneater:

100% agree! The Levy girl is a true talent. East did a great job making things hard for her.  That's probably the hardest 19 points she's scored all season. East has a great team and coaching staff.  They have fun while playing.

It's a blessing to see two District 10AA school win the AA state tourney back to back. Great for the city of Nashville  

• Upvote 1

with 5 of the top 8 players being Sophomores, including Levy, I don't think this will be the last time we see the Bee's in the state finals. They will be hard to stop next year.  

Only 2 of the top 8 were sophomores.  Levy and Hurst.  3 were Juniors.  Maynord, Greenwood, and Strickland