6 classes in basketball

dmm88

There isn't really a good way to do it and life isn't fair as we all know however there is ways of leveling the playing field.

For instance if a private school wants to play ball in Div 1 then they play at the highest classification there is.  In football that is 6A in basketball and other sports that is 3A.  I guarantee you if that happens all the privates move to Div II or as T$$AA fears they form their own league.  

Then you take schools that are in a metropolitan area that have "open enrollment" and you make them play at the highest classification.  At least then the number of good of athletes per team would be closer.  Having Class A schools in Memphis to compete against small county schools is ridiculous.  No way county schools are ever going to have that many athletes coming in every year.  The same goes for football schools like Alcoa that have open enrollment.  You make them play at the 6A level where the competition is equal.  You won't see 11 state championships in a row then.  School like these take advantage of the system but T$$AA allows it so you can't blame them.  

You take the schools that are left and divide them up into their proper classifications and you'll have a much more competitive field.  

I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this so i'll go ahead and say you're welcome... :popcorneater:

There isn't really a good way to do it and life isn't fair as we all know however there is ways of leveling the playing field.

For instance if a private school wants to play ball in Div 1 then they play at the highest classification there is.  In football that is 6A in basketball and other sports that is 3A.  I guarantee you if that happens all the privates move to Div II or as T$$AA fears they form their own league.  

People always make this argument of private schools being required to play at a higher classification.  But I say having them play at the classification level that their actual enrollment shows might be a long-term better deterrent. Here's my point. Generally speaking, most people see teams at a higher classification as being better than teams at a lower classification. This is true in DII classes. People also thought the same thing about Maryville when they were in 4A before they were moved up to 6A in football. 

Real competitive players want to play at the highest level.  Had there not been a split and had the TSSAA had not utilized a multiplier and just had private schools play to their exact enrollment they wouldn't have looked so attractive and option. Most private schools wouldn't have been any higher than 2A in football. And winning a 6A championship looks more impressive than winning a 2A, or 1A championship.

Now the smaller  schools might be locked of championships initially, but I think sooner rather than later some of the student-athlete will opt to attend a larger public school for the gerater prestige for a AAA championship in basketball; or, a 6A or 5A championship in football. .  Then again, that's my counter-intuitive theory. 

I counted 337 girls basketball teams in Division I, not counting a few that were listed but did not appear to play any games yet or may have played jv only. 121 were in Class A with a bunch of new schools in Memphis. 109 in Class AA, 107 in AAA. Before any moves to Division II, you'd have about 85 teams in four classes, about 5.3 teams in 16 classes. You could manage it better with two teams coming out of each district into the region instead of four. First round games in Murfreesboro might not be played at MTSU, or rotate each year which class(es) begin there and which play first round at Blackman, for example. It could work.

People always make this argument of private schools being required to play at a higher classification.  But I say having them play at the classification level that their actual enrollment shows might be a long-term better deterrent. Here's my point. Generally speaking, most people see teams at a higher classification as being better than teams at a lower classification. This is true in DII classes. People also thought the same thing about Maryville when they were in 4A before they were moved up to 6A in football. 

Real competitive players want to play at the highest level.  Had there not been a split and had the TSSAA had not utilized a multiplier and just had private schools play to their exact enrollment they wouldn't have looked so attractive and option. Most private schools wouldn't have been any higher than 2A in football. And winning a 6A championship looks more impressive than winning a 2A, or 1A championship.

Now the smaller  schools might be locked of championships initially, but I think sooner rather than later some of the student-athlete will opt to attend a larger public school for the gerater prestige for a AAA championship in basketball; or, a 6A or 5A championship in football. .  Then again, that's my counter-intuitive theory. 

You're forgetting that privates are able to manipulate their enrollment to compete at whatever level that they wish, and that they have the option of deciding to play DI or DII. Webb plays up because they can generally compete with larger schools, but the small D1 private schools still use them in their argument against a private/public split..."no way that we could compete with Webb if..." , so most of them opt to play in the public division, and restrict enrollment to play with the small publics. If your theory were correct there wouldn't be a TCA, JCS, Sacred Heart, or St. Mary's in Jackson (all of which will say that they just can't attract more kids)...There would only be USJ, and they would play DII AA (large division) with Webb, or that the kids would opt to play at one of the larger public schools there. Funny how each small private can't​ recruit (oops) attract more kids than would be allowed to play in the 1A public (AA football with 1.8 multiplier) division, yet every 7 or 8 years another small private manages to enroll around 300 kids, just enough to remain in the smallest public division possible. The object is a state championship...the path of least resistance is 1A public division, and in West Tn. that's where the privates are fighting to stay placed.

For instance if a private school wants to play ball in Div 1 then they play at the highest classification there is. In football that is 6A in basketball and other sports that is 3A. I guarantee you if that happens all the privates move to Div II or as T$$AA fears they form their own league.

Then you take schools that are in a metropolitan area that have "open enrollment" and you make them play at the highest classification. At least then the number of good of athletes per team would be closer. Having Class A schools in Memphis to compete against small county schools is ridiculous. No way county schools are ever going to have that many athletes coming in every year. The same goes for football schools like Alcoa that have open enrollment. You make them play at the 6A level where the competition is equal. You won't see 11 state championships in a row then. School like these take advantage of the system but T$$AA allows it so you can't blame them.

You take the schools that are left and divide them up into their proper classifications and you'll have a much more competitive field.

I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this so i'll go ahead and say you're welcome... :popcorneater:

The majority of open enrollment schools such as Alcoa are mediocre at best in football. Why punish them when they struggle to compete in the class they are in already?? There are more open zone schools in TN than closed zone. And for everyone one you can name that excels in football I can name two that don't. What you are saying would indeed benefit some but would hurt far more. Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

You're forgetting that privates are able to manipulate their enrollment to compete at whatever level that they wish, and that they have the option of deciding to play DI or DII. Webb plays up because they can generally compete with larger schools, but the small D1 private schools still use them in their argument against a private/public split..."no way that we could compete with Webb if..." , so most of them opt to play in the public division, and restrict enrollment to play with the small publics. If your theory were correct there wouldn't be a TCA, JCS, Sacred Heart, or St. Mary's in Jackson (all of which will say that they just can't attract more kids)...There would only be USJ, and they would play DII AA (large division) with Webb, or that the kids would opt to play at one of the larger public schools there. Funny how each small private can't​ recruit (oops) attract more kids than would be allowed to play in the 1A public (AA football with 1.8 multiplier) division, yet every 7 or 8 years another small private manages to enroll around 300 kids, just enough to remain in the smallest public division possible. The object is a state championship...the path of least resistance is 1A public division, and in West Tn. that's where the privates are fighting to stay placed.

I think you may have missed the part of about me postulating had their not been a split, and no multiplier, and playing to a school's actual enrollment (not playing up a classification). I may not have made that clear.  The genie is sort of out of the bottle now, and all the manipulation you speak of can be employed.

The majority of open enrollment schools such as Alcoa are mediocre at best in football. Why punish them when they struggle to compete in the class they are in already?? There are more open zone schools in TN than closed zone. And for everyone one you can name that excels in football I can name two that don't. What you are saying would indeed benefit some but would hurt far more.

I definitely agree with you here BPM. In the county were i grew up (Greene) is all openzone and even though Greeneville is good in football but West Greene, South Greene, North Greene, and chuckey doak are not. I couldn't image those 4 schools trying to compete in 6a when they struggle in 2a and 3a.

Webb actually plays in DII-A not the larger AA and St Mary's is in Memphis.  If USJ went to AA, they would play the Memphis schools of St Benedict, Briarcrest, MUS, CBHS, St. Agnes and Hutchison and then eventually Brentwood Academy and Ensworth.

Trader, I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you.  If the president/head master/principle of a private school could have 2000 students, they would enroll them and play in the highest classification allowed by the school's financial aide guidelines.

Webb actually plays in DII-A not the larger AA and St Mary's is in Memphis.  If USJ went to AA, they would play the Memphis schools of St Benedict, Briarcrest, MUS, CBHS, St. Agnes and Hutchison and then eventually Brentwood Academy and Ensworth.

Trader, I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you.  If the president/head master/principle of a private school could have 2000 students, they would enroll them and play in the highest classification allowed by the school's financial aide guidelines.

2,000 probably, but 15-20 over the classification cutoff they don't. West Tennessee (outside Memphis) seems to be different from the rest of the state in the fact that there are zero privates in any classification other than 1A...there are several small privates who might or might not be able to attain a larger student population in smaller towns (Fayette Academy for example), but those in Jackson absolutely could. I could give examples of student athletes being bused 50 miles to attend three of the Jackson schools to play sports, and in one instance in the same year that I know of personally, two excellent students from Jackson were denied admission who needed no financial aid. Big decision...100 mile roundtrip for a baseball player (won state with him), or admit a straight A student from the neighborhood.

I was confusing Webb with Ensworth in my earlier post...they choose to play up with roughly the same student population as USJ in Jackson, and most of the DI private supporters from this area fear that with a complete split that they would have to compete against them for a state title...shouldn't matter if it were more attractive for the kids to play against better competition.

Edited by tradertwo

Here is my guessing for a four-class system. It's a long list. Some of the schools didn't have enrollments listed on the TSSAA site yet, so I looked on their website, on school reviews, etc, and still had to estimate on some. All of these except Nolensville in Class AAA played during the 2015-2016 school year. A few listed on the TSSAA site didn't play this season, either don't have a team at all, starting with JV, or whatever, so I didn't include them like I did Nolensville which will certainly have a team.

This could work, as I said, but it would take a lot of backing even to get it looked at seriously. About 86 teams in each class, about 5.5 average in each district. It wouldn't have to be just two making it to the region, four still could, which would make it fairer in districts which might have up to six teams.

Also, these enrollments are already 2-3 years old in some cases, it would help if reclassification would take place every 2 years instead of every 4. As quickly as information can be gathered, there's no reason enrollment numbers should be 5 years old at the end of a classification period.

Class A

Clinch High School 27

Carroll Academy 49

Tennessee School for the Deaf 79

Richard Hardy Memorial School 88

-Knoxville Berean Christian 100 (guessing for 9-12)

Big Sandy High School 105

Hampshire High School 121

Clarksburg High School 128

Bradford High School 135

Nashville LEAD Academy 138

-Waverly Natchez Trace 72 x 2 = 144 (boys only)

-Franklin Grace Christian guessing 150 (130 in 9-12 when joined TSSAA)

Washburn High School 158

Gleason High School Gleason 161

Sunbright High School Sunbright 173

--W.E.B. Dubois High School Memphis 180

Coalfield High School Coalfield 182

--Memphis School of Excellence 184

Oakdale High School Oakdale 188

-Concord Christian School 106 x 1.8 = 191

Cloudland High School Roan Mountain 193

Moore Co. High School Lynchburg 197

Red Boiling Springs High School Red Boiling Springs 200

Lookout Valley High School Chattanooga 204

Greenback High School Greenback 209

Hollow Rock-Bruceton Central High School Bruceton 209

Greenfield High School Greenfield 210

Santa Fe High School 212

Huntland High School Huntland 214

Copper Basin High School Copperhill 227

--Memphis Middle College 233

Hendersonville Merrol Hyde Magnet School 239

--Memphis Academy of Science & Engineering 241

Lake Co. High School Tiptonville 243

Van Buren Co. High School 244

South Pittsburg High School South Pittsburg 245

South Fulton High School South Fulton 245

Pickett Co. High School Byrdstown 248

George Washington Carver High School Memphis 255

Culleoka High School 260

Humboldt High School Humboldt 263

Clay Co. High School Celina 264

University School-Johnson City 267

Collinwood High School Collinwood 278

Memphis Northside High School Memphis 282

Hancock Co. High School Sneedville 286

Chattanooga Grace Baptist Academy 160 x 1.8 = 288

Midway High School Kingston 289

Unaka High School Elizabethton 290

Cornersville High School Cornersville 293

West Carroll High School Atwood 295

Clarkrange High School 299

Sale Creek School Sale Creek 306

McEwen High School Mcewen 308

Gordonsville High School Gordonsville 318

Fayetteville High School Fayetteville 318

Wayne Co. High School Waynesboro 319

--Memphis City University School 320

--Soulsville Charter School 325

Monterey High School Monterey 339

-Nashville Christian School 192 x 1.8 = 346

Harriman High School Harriman 347

-Clarksville Academy 194 x 1.8 = 349

Middleton High School Middleton 350

Richland High School Lynnville 351

Huntingdon High School Huntingdon 354

Perry Co. High School Linden 363

Mt. Pleasant High School Mt. Pleasant 365

Jo Byrns High School Cedar Hill 355

--Memphis Business 356

Whitwell High School Whitwell 371

Dresden High School Dresden 375

Trousdale Co. High School Hartsville 380

-Columbia Academy 211 x 1.8 = 380

--KIPP Memphis Collegiate School Memphis 381

Jellico High School Jellico 384

-Middle Tennessee Christian School 214 x 1.8 = 385

Oneida High School Oneida 393

Peabody High School Trenton 395

Union City High School Union City 397

Summertown Summertown 398

Houston Co. High School Erin 399

Summertown High School 398

B. T. Washington High School Memphis 399

Memphis Academy of Health Sciences Memphis 402

Oliver Springs High School Oliver Springs 402

Class AA

Hampton High School Hampton 405

Cosby High School Cosby 405

Oakhaven High School Memphis 408

McKenzie High School Mckenzie 410

Watertown High School Watertown 411

Westwood High School Memphis 413

Eagleville High School Eagleville 414

Halls High School Halls 416

Wartburg Central High School Wartburg 416

North Greene High School Greeneville 418

Chatt. School for the Arts & Sciences 417

East Robertson High School Cross Plains 423

-Jackson Christian School 239 x 1.8 = 430

Decatur Co. Riverside High School Decaturville 434

-Trinity Christian Academy Jackson 245 x 1.8 = 441

Manassas High School Memphis 450

Jackson Co. High School Gainesboro 454

Tellico Plains High School Tellico Plains 455

Gibson Co. High School Dyer 458

Rockwood High School Rockwood 459

Loretto High School Loretto 470

Community High School Unionville 485

-Boyd Buchanan High School 271 x 1.8 = 488

Scotts Hill High School Reagan 490

South Greene High School Greeneville 497

Madison Academic Magnet High School 502

Hillcrest High School Memphis 505

Westmoreland High School Westmoreland 509

Meigs Co. High School Decatur 516

Marion Co. High School Jasper 518

Forrest High School Chapel Hill 522

Sullivan North High School Kingsport 531

-Silverdale Baptist Academy 295 x 1.8 = 531

Cascade High School Wartrace 535

Adamsville High School Adamsville 541

Hickman Co. High School Centerville 542

-Goodpasture Christian School 301 x 1.8 = 542

-Grace Christian Academy Knoxville 303 x 1.8 = 545

Frederick Douglass High School Memphis 553

Waverly Central High School Waverly 553

--Power Center Academy High School 549

Mitchell High School Memphis 554

Lewis Co. High School Hohenwald 555

Gatlinburg-Pittman High School Gatlinburg 562

Austin-East High School Knoxville 564

Cumberland Gap High School Cumberland Gap 566

Alcoa High School Alcoa 566

Trezevant High School Memphis 568

Happy Valley High School Elizabethton 568

Bledsoe Co. High School Pikeville 568

Polk Co. High School Benton 570

Martin Luther King, Jr. Preparatory High School Memphis 577

Fairley High School Memphis 578

Tyner Academy Chattanooga 587

Sweetwater High School Sweetwater 591

Brainerd High School Chattanooga 593

Harpeth High School Kingston Springs 595

Camden Central High School Camden 597

Smith Co. High School Carthage 599

Alvin C. York Institute Jamestown 612

Westview High School Martin 613

Milan High School Milan 616

Memphis East High School Memphis 617

Cannon Co. High School Woodbury 618

East Hickman High School Lyles 621

Cheatham Co. Central High School Ashland City 627

The Howard School Chattanooga 643

Chuckey-Doak High School Afton 643

--Memphis GRAD Academy, about 650? when 9-12 enrolled

Stewart Co. High School Dover 651

White House Heritage High School White House 652

Stratford High School Nashville 660

Fairview High School Fairview 660

West Greene High School Mosheim 671

Johnson Co. High School Mountain City 675

Sequatchie Co. High School Dunlap 691

Pigeon Forge High School Pigeon Forge 697

Signal Mountain High School Signal Mountain 699

McMinn Central High School Englewood 700

East Nashville Magnet School Nashville 705

Grundy Co. High School Coalmont 708

Hamilton High School Memphis 710

South Gibson Co. High School Medina 711

Raleigh Egypt High School Memphis 725

Kingston High School Kingston 735

Loudon High School Loudon 736

Class AAA

Upperman High School Baxter 740

Sycamore High School Pleasant View 745

Whites Creek High School Whites Creek 751

McNairy Central High School Selmer 751

-Notre Dame High School 417 x 1.8 = 751

Melrose High School Memphis 752

Jackson South Side High School Jackson 754

-Christ Presbyterian Academy 419 x 1.8 = 754

Red Bank High School Chattanooga 759

-Christian Academy of Knoxville 426 x 1.8 = 766

Scott High School Huntsville 779

Liberty Technology Magnet High School Jackson 779

Covington High School Covington 781

Fayette-Ware Comprehensive High School Somerville 782

Dyersburg High School Dyersburg 787

Northview Academy Kodak 788

Unicoi Co. High School Erwin 789

-Chattanooga Christian School 439 x 1.8 = 790

Murfreesboro Central Magnet School 791

Elizabethton High School Elizabethton 792

Sheffield High School Memphis 793

Claiborne High School New Tazewell 800

DeKalb Co. High School Smithville 803

East Ridge High School Chattanooga 810

Bolivar Central High School Bolivar 819

Greenbrier High School Greenbrier 824

Union Co. High School Maynardville 825

Crockett Co. High School Alamo 842

Marshall Co. High School Lewisburg 845

Pearl Cohn High School Nashville 853

Fulton High School Knoxville 856

Chester Co. High School Henderson 861

Giles Co. High School Pulaski 863

Haywood High School Brownsville 876

Hixson High School Hixson 880

Creek Wood High School Charlotte 881

White House High School White House 882

Greeneville High School Greeneville 887

Livingston Academy Livingston 888

Carter High School Strawberry Plains 890

Grainger High School Rutledge 892

Sullivan South High School Kingsport 899

Ripley High School Ripley 901

Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet 908

Sullivan East High School Bluff City 913

Martin Luther King High School 916

-Lipscomb Academy 509 x 1.8 = 916

Chattanooga Central High School Harrison 925

Macon Co. High School Lafayette 935

Page High School Franklin 936

Lexington High School Lexington 941

Millington Central High School Millington 943

Obion Co. Central High School Troy 947

Sullivan Central High School Blountville 961

Spring Hill High School Columbia 979

Maplewood Comprehensive High School Nashville 997

Craigmont High School Memphis 1003

Jackson North Side High School Jackson 1007

Sequoyah High School - Madisonville Madisonville 1018

Montgomery Central High School Cunningham 1039

East Hamilton High School Ooltewah 1045

Cumberland Co. High School Crossville 1051

Tullahoma High School Tullahoma 1053

Kirby High School Memphis 1058

Anderson Co. High School Clinton 1064

Stone Memorial High School Crossville 1065

Gibbs High School Corryton 1085

Knoxville Central High School Knoxville 1088

Seymour High School Seymour 1093

Kenwood High School Clarksville 1093

Volunteer High School Church Hill 1096

Hillwood High School Nashville 1113

Kingsbury High School Memphis 1114

Clinton High School Clinton 1114

Lawrence Co. High School Lawrenceburg 1123

Hardin Co. High School Savannah 1129

Portland High School Portland 1135

Springfield High School Springfield 1145

Cherokee High School Rogersville 1160

Dyer Co. High School Newbern 1168

-Knoxville Catholic High School 650 x 1.8 = 1170

Northwest High School Clarksville 1173

Ridgeway High School Memphis 1187

Hillsboro High School Nashville 1188

White Co. High School Sparta 1195

Karns High School Knoxville 1195

Class AAAA

Wooddale High School Memphis 1196

Tennessee High School Bristol 1196

Cocke Co. High School Newport 1201

South Doyle High School Knoxville 1210

Lenoir City High School Lenoir City 1226

Knoxville Halls High School Knoxville 1243

Shelbyville Central High School Shelbyville 1248

Soddy-Daisy High School Soddy-daisy 1249

Overton High School Memphis 1252

Northeast High School Clarksville 1271

Beech Senior High School Hendersonville 1275

Lincoln Co. High School Fayetteville 1282

West Creek High School Clarksville 1305

David Crockett High School Jonesborough 1306

Campbell Co. High School Jacksboro 1320

Munford High School Munford 1324

Summit High School Spring Hill 1329

Powell High School Powell 1334

West High School Knoxville 1338

Clarksville High School Clarksville 1338

Daniel Boone High School Gray 1348

Henry Co. High School Paris 1349

Columbia Central High School Columbia 1353

Independence High School Thompson''s Station 1378

Brighton High School Brighton 1417

Morristown-Hamblen High School East Morristown 1418

Oak Ridge High School Oak Ridge 1419

Cleveland High School Cleveland 1420

Glencliff High School Nashville 1433

Sevier Co. High School Sevierville 1451

Ooltewah High School Ooltewah 1452

Morristown-Hamblen High School West Morristown 1461

Dickson Co. High School Dickson 1466

Franklin Co. High School Winchester 1486

Gallatin High School Gallatin 1495

Rossview High School Clarksville 1497

* Nolensville 1500

McMinn Co. High School Athens 1504

Bolton High School Arlington 1505

Hendersonville High School Hendersonville 1510

Rhea County High School Evensville 1521

Station Camp High School Gallatin 1537

Walker Valley High School Cleveland 1539

Heritage High School Maryville 1600

Maryville High School Maryville 1604

Memphis Central High School Memphis 1631

Hunters Lane High School Nashville 1640

Cane Ridge High School Antioch 1660

Southwind High School Memphis 1674

Farragut High School Knoxville 1685

Stewarts Creek High School Smyrna 1691

Brentwood High School Brentwood 1698

Centennial High School Franklin 1712

LaVergne High School Lavergne 1723

Riverdale High School Murfreesboro 1724

Coffee Co. Central High School Manchester 1730

William Blount High School Maryville 1741

Franklin High School Franklin 1751

Siegel High School Murfreesboro 1758

Smyrna High School Smyrna 1774

Warren Co. High School Mcminnville 1787

Bradley Central High School Cleveland 1790

Lebanon High School Lebanon 1807

Bartlett High School Bartlett 1818

John Overton High School Nashville 1830

Wilson Central High School Lebanon 1834

Whitehaven High School Memphis 1838

Blackman High School Murfreesboro 1839

Germantown High School Germantown 1900

Hardin Valley Academy Knoxville 1903

Cordova High School Cordova 1911

Oakland High School Murfreesboro 1933

Houston High School Germantown 1937

Bearden High School Knoxville 1938

Mt. Juliet High School Mt. Juliet 1999

Antioch High School Antioch 2036

Ravenwood High School Brentwood 2037

Arlington High School Arlington 2044

Dobyns Bennett High School Kingsport 2072

Science Hill High School Johnson City 2080

Collierville High School Collierville 2136

Cookeville High School Cookeville 2201

Jefferson Co. High School Dandridge 2273

McGavock High School Nashville 2280

White Station High School Memphis 2289

2,000 probably, but 15-20 over the classification cutoff they don't. West Tennessee (outside Memphis) seems to be different from the rest of the state in the fact that there are zero privates in any classification other than 1A...there are several small privates who might or might not be able to attain a larger student population in smaller towns (Fayette Academy for example), but those in Jackson absolutely could. I could give examples of student athletes being bused 50 miles to attend three of the Jackson schools to play sports, and in one instance in the same year that I know of personally, two excellent students from Jackson were denied admission who needed no financial aid. Big decision...100 mile roundtrip for a baseball player (won state with him), or admit a straight A student from the neighborhood.

I was confusing Webb with Ensworth in my earlier post...they choose to play up with roughly the same student population as USJ in Jackson, and most of the DI private supporters from this area fear that with a complete split that they would have to compete against them for a state title...shouldn't matter if it were more attractive for the kids to play against better competition.

good points  I agree.  

Why would the complete split mean USJ will have to play up to DII-AA?  TCA and JCS would be added to the current DII-A West.

If USJ played up, they would make the throw off the apple cart by being the 5th team in the  MUS / CBHS / Briarcrest, St Benedict for Boys and St Agnes, Hutchison, Briarcrest, SBA for girls. where now all 4 respective teams go straight to State playoffs each year.