Greenback football 2016

orngnblk

Cherokean if you have any GB stats over the years of TDs, Rushing yards, passing yards, leading tackles etc. of former players please post to share with our friends. I think it would be good for some to know a little bit more of GB history and just how many good players have set foot on that field. GB football goes back many years! We have been successful for the most part for many years! It didn't just start the last two years people. Many an All State, many great unselfish players who were All State on the field with the stats to back it up but just didn't get that official piece of paper and pic on the wall but we all know who they have been over the years. It's funny my husband transferred in from WB Sophomore year, one heck of a running back, DE, and LB and earned his All State award. Made a lot of great friends, became a GB boy, and never wanted anybody to put himself over his teammates. Something tells me that's how most this GB team would like it to be now if we would just leave it alone.

I have been to GB football games for more than 50 yrs. - so needless to say I have seen several teams - over those years there have been some outstanding players - but by far the best team that has ever stepped on Cooper Field has been the '87 State Championship team - I say that because those kids were good at every position - there were no "stars" or wanna be "stars" - they were 11 kids that played like a well-oiled machine - they were tuff and selfless - they knew nothing but team - if one player got out of line, even during school, there would be a teammate in his face pushing him back in line - Coach Satterfield's greatest strength was his strength of motivation and those boys bought in to his plan and it took them to Cookeville and they won it all. I know this is a long post, but I just want our current team to know that the '87 team set the bar! I WISH THIS YEAR'S TEAM THE BEST - STAY HUMBLE, WORK HARD, RESPECT ONE ANOTHER, AND ENJOY THE RIDE!

I have been to GB football games for more than 50 yrs. - so needless to say I have seen several teams - over those years there have been some outstanding players - but by far the best team that has ever stepped on Cooper Field has been the '87 State Championship team - I say that because those kids were good at every position - there were no "stars" or wanna be "stars" - they were 11 kids that played like a well-oiled machine - they were tuff and selfless - they knew nothing but team - if one player got out of line, even during school, there would be a teammate in his face pushing him back in line - Coach Satterfield's greatest strength was his strength of motivation and those boys bought in to his plan and it took them to NASHVILLE and they won it all. I know this is a long post, but I just want our current team to know that the '87 team set the bar! I WISH THIS YEAR'S TEAM THE BEST - STAY HUMBLE, WORK HARD, RESPECT ONE ANOTHER, AND ENJOY THE RIDE!

What a great season that was,just remembering how the community rallied around the team was awesome.Some of the best memories i will ever have,you guys were great also fueled our fire!Great post!The last part is so true,its over way to fast! Edited by orngnblk

Cherokean if you have any GB stats over the years of TDs, Rushing yards, passing yards, leading tackles etc. of former players please post to share with our friends. I think it would be good for some to know a little bit more of GB history and just how many good players have set foot on that field. GB football goes back many years! We have been successful for the most part for many years! It didn't just start the last two years people. Many an All State, many great unselfish players who were All State on the field with the stats to back it up but just didn't get that official piece of paper and pic on the wall but we all know who they have been over the years. It's funny my husband transferred in from WB Sophomore year, one heck of a running back, DE, and LB and earned his All State award. Made a lot of great friends, became a GB boy, and never wanted anybody to put himself over his teammates. Something tells me that's how most this GB team would like it to be now if we would just leave it alone.

The only stat I know right off is Greg Ryan's career passing yards...7,709

I remember in a school newspaper from '93 that I have, had a small list of stats up to a certain point during that season...I'd be hard pressed to even find it...I've wanted to try to get some of the old stats, like I did with the scores a few years ago.

Speaking of stats...back probably 20 years ago I came across some old basketball stat books in vice principal's office that went as far back as to when my uncle and your dad and uncle played. Hard telling what happened to them.

Edited by cherokean

What a great season that was,just remembering how the community rallied around the team was awesome.Some of the best memories i will ever have,you guys were great also fueled our fire!Great post!The last part is so true,its over way to fast!

I believe in a past post I said the scrimmage Fri. was @6:30...I was close it's @6:00...

Pigskinplayer you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I know who you are. Here is a picture of Alcoa in 1961 and your on the front row. Don't worry I would never mention your name. I'm sure glad you told us and I didn't doubt you at all but I was right on the time I thought you were talking about. You played for a real good coach back then, Bailey. We both know a few people in common from those day's.34ysqdg.jpg

That's the wrong Naders...

sorry i have you scratching your heads.Of course,you're trying to make me a liar.Steve Sloan played for 'Bama 62-65.I was a freshman QB for the Naders during the 61  season.They beat us 28-7.Since you seem to want my history here goes.I know it's not as amazing as all yours .I was 2 time All-County as a 6'3" Quarterback in HS.I was All-Conference and All-Tri State.I was recruited  by UT,Miss. State, Tennessee Tech,The  Citadel,3 Military Schools and several smaller schools   and prep schools.Wasn't that good but did throw for 2750 yds. my sr. year.Back then QB's avg.about 5'10' tall so colleges gobbled up a kid that could see over the line.Early injury to my right rotator cuff and knee brought my 10.98 100 yd. dash speed and any college chances to a halt.The question about All-State is yes they had the award then but the big schools had dibbs on them because there were no classes then.Schools with 250 kids were in the same "class" with the Kingsports,Maryvilles,Bradleys and on and on.Sorry you were confused and had to try so hard to make me out a liar.

If it was the 'Naders the school colors had to be YELLOW and BLACK and were located just south of them Blue Devils...If that's the case you only played GB twice, or three times if you played as an 8th grader.

And here is GB's records from 1957-1964(since you say your freshman year was 1961)

1964 (0-8-1)

Midway T 6-6

Madisonville L 6-20

Gatlinburg-Pittman L 0-25

Friendsville L 0-33

Porter L 7-13

Lanier L 13-52

Walland L 6-42

Townsend L 6-31

Knox. Halls L 0-20

1963 (4-6)

Friendsville L 6-20