Blount County Football Poll

32hammer

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, now how does BOTH Alcoa and Maryville go 'undefeated' when they play each other.  They going for a soccer draw this year?  LOL

Gov91 is correct.

The original post does not say that all these choices will happen.

The post is asking folks to rank the possibility that the choices will occur.

In my ranking I said Alcoa will likely win another championship, but I also said that an undefeated Alcoa championship was much less likely.

I also think the Govs will be ready to win a playoff game this year!

George Quarles and Gary Rankin take jobs in other states, and Tennessee's 3A and 6A classes become competitive again.

I promise you that Gary Rankin isn't hanging up his whistle for another 2 years (minimum). He has won 383 games overall which ranks #1 on the all-time list for high school football coaches in the state's history. Alcoa is about as close to a "lock" as it gets in saying that they'll win 13-15 games this upcoming season. That would put Coach Rankin in the 396-398 wins range. I've said for years that he won't quit coaching until he wins more than 400 games.

George Quarles has won 237 games as the head football coach at Maryville. Maryville has a much more challenging road to getting another 13-15 win season however should they do so then it puts him between 250-252 victories. He would need to average right around 13 wins per season for another dozen years to reach the 400 win plateau.

Quarles winning % as a head coach is unmatched however barring a 2011 type of scenario the fact of the matter is that Rankin will never lose multiple games (meaning 3+ in a season) at Alcoa. I just cannot see his overall wins mark being surpassed by anyone in the foreseeable future.

I promise you that Gary Rankin isn't hanging up his whistle for another 2 years (minimum). He has won 383 games overall which ranks #1 on the all-time list for high school football coaches in the state's history. Alcoa is about as close to a "lock" as it gets in saying that they'll win 13-15 games this upcoming season. That would put Coach Rankin in the 396-398 wins range. I've said for years that he won't quit coaching until he wins more than 400 games.

George Quarles has won 237 games as the head football coach at Maryville. Maryville has a much more challenging road to getting another 13-15 win season however should they do so then it puts him between 250-252 victories. He would need to average right around 13 wins per season for another dozen years to reach the 400 win plateau.

Quarles winning % as a head coach is unmatched however barring a 2011 type of scenario the fact of the matter is that Rankin will never lose multiple games (meaning 3+ in a season) at Alcoa. I just cannot see his overall wins mark being surpassed by anyone in the foreseeable future.

I see Rankin coaching for at least another five or six years and if he does he will never have to worry about the record being broken. I see G.Q. staying at least until his kids are through school but if he stays any longer it would be for the reason he still loves the game and not to chase a record. Him and Rankin are good friends and I don't see him wanting that record. G.Q. would be the only coach we would see in our lifetime that would even have a chance to break that but I just don't think that will happen. 

I see Rankin coaching for at least another five or six years and if he does he will never have to worry about the record being broken. I see G.Q. staying at least until his kids are through school but if he stays any longer it would be for the reason he still loves the game and not to chase a record. Him and Rankin are good friends and I don't see him wanting that record. G.Q. would be the only coach we would see in our lifetime that would even have a chance to break that but I just don't think that will happen.

Maryville has been to the State Championship Game in 17 of the last 19 years. They've been the model of excellence that every school in the state has tried to duplicate. Their coaches and kids just plain get it done. You do have to wonder how long their run of dominance will continue in the state's largest classification. They've looked "almost normal" at times in recent years.

Alcoa has been to the State Championship Game in 10 of the last 12 years. They too are a model of excellence however many of us see it in a more dominating fashion because they are a "big fish" in a "small pond" and will only continue to get bigger and bigger as the years pass. Their coaches and kids work hard and are very successful year in and out.

Maryville has been to the State Championship Game in 17 of the last 19 years. They've been the model of excellence that every school in the state has tried to duplicate. Their coaches and kids just plain get it done. You do have to wonder how long their run of dominance will continue in the state's largest classification. They've looked "almost normal" at times in recent years.

Alcoa has been to the State Championship Game in 10 of the last 12 years. They too are a model of excellence however many of us see it in a more dominating fashion because they are a "big fish" in a "small pond" and will only continue to get bigger and bigger as the years pass. Their coaches and kids work hard and are very successful year in and out.

hdik.....Eye wood say thait lookin' down tha pipeline fer Alcoee and Mairvul....Thay both ort two bee fairlee good...Att leest 2 orr moore winz a yeer imo.... :popcorneater:

Alcoa wins state championship will happen. 

Maryville will make it to final four

Heritage wins one game 

W.B. wins three games.

One coach will not be back next year.2ylsgu8.jpg

I might have to rethink the Heritage situation and might win 3 or 4 games this year. Starting to find out a big loss to the program may turn out to be a big gain.