Metro Rankings

bleacher

I have seen that also. I have seen bad coaches with good players win over very good coaches with less talent also.

I have seen bad to mediocre programs get a good coach and do very well. Good coaches have to have good players but good coaches can make adequate players better. Players make the plays but coaches prepare, motivate, call the play, make you believe, etc.

I'll take the Burros in that one. PC's defense was athletic and aggressive but offensively they were very vanilla.

Man I tried not to respond to this but I couldn't help it. You do know Pearl Cohn dominated them in 03! So you want the people on here to think Hillsboro could've beat ONE of the best teams TN have ever seen. COME ON NOW!!! Edited by FIREBIRD80

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2017 at 7:48 PM, FIREBIRD80 said:

Man I tried not to respond to this but I couldn't help it. You do know Pearl Cohn dominated them in 03! So you want the people on here to think Hillsboro could've beat ONE of the best teams TN have ever seen. COME ON NOW!!!

That 97 team was not one of the best teams the state has ever seen. Their defense was completely dominant but the offense was vanilla. They had bigger, faster and stronger players than everyone else. Thats why they were able to be so vanilla. I got to break down game film against them that year. Whites Creek and Springfield gave them a battle because of the offense. I think, but could be wrong, they scored on defense against WC. That being the deciding score. I also went to 3 of their playoff games. Defense was unreal but its hard to line up in the "I" formation run the toss sweep, counter and ISO against an athletic disciplined team like the '03 Burros. The same reason Stratford got beat by CPA this past season. Obviously a great team but One of the best in the state?? COME ON NOW!!!

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, howdoitknow said:

How did everyone in Metro fare in the first week of the preseason?  I know Hillwood scrimmaged Creek Wood.  I know Pearl Cohn scrimmaged Station Camp.  I know Whites Creek scrimmaged Sycamore.  Who did everyone else test themselves against?

Let's see:

PC had their way with Station Camp

McGavock looked very good against Dickson Co.

Hillsboro also looked good against LaVergne

3 hours ago, buckeyeball said:

That 97 team was not one of the best teams the state has ever seen. Their defense was completely dominant but the offense was vanilla. They had bigger, faster and stronger players than everyone else. Thats why they were able to be so vanilla. I got to break down game film against them that year. Whites Creek and Springfield gave them a battle because of the offense. I think, but could be wrong, they scored on defense against WC. That being the deciding score. I also went to 3 of their playoff games. Defense was unreal but its hard to line up in the "I" formation run the toss sweep, counter and ISO against an athletic disciplined team like the '03 Burros. The same reason Stratford got beat by CPA this past season. Obviously a great team but One of the best in the state?? COME ON NOW!!!

Springfield was good that year, whites creek that was our rivalry, played them both again beat SF 28-0 and WC 30-0!! Far as Hillsboro that 03 PC team did exactly what you said is hard to do. You do know in 03 that PC ran I formation, and toss sweep, and counter ,and ISO against them, and ran it down their throats!! PC didnt even attempt a passing play so you loss me on that one. Far as 97 PC team I didn't say the best I said one of!! Find a team who had more shutout games as we did think we had 9 out of 15 games. From week 9 til championship game we put up 290 points to our opponent's 16. Maryville put them 16 on us in championship game. So yes 97 PEARL COHN TEAM IS ONE OF STATES BEST TEAMS EVER. 

Edited by FIREBIRD80

1 hour ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Springfield was good that year, whites creek that was our rivalry, played them both again beat SF 28-0 and WC 30-0!! Far as Hillsboro that 03 PC team did exactly what you said is hard to do. You do know in 03 that PC ran I formation, and toss sweep, and counter ,and ISO against them, and ran it down their throats!! PC didnt even attempt a passing play so you loss me on that one. Far as 97 PC team I didn't say the best I said one of!! Find a team who had more shutout games as we did think we had 9 out of 15 games. From week 9 til championship game we put up 290 points to our opponent's 16. Maryville put them 16 on us in championship game. So yes 97 PEARL COHN TEAM IS ONE OF STATES BEST TEAMS EVER. 

The Springfield regular season game in 1997 was 12-7.  The playoff score was 28-0 in the quarterfinals.  I remember being at the Cheatham County game and the score was 16-8 at halftime if memory serves me correctly.