Trezevant at Ensworth

kwc

Spartan4Life:

On paper Ensworth should be the favorite. They are a large private school that has the ability to offer financial aid for students to attend. They will have a large roster with potential D-1 players on it. Since they are a large private school with a big budget for sports, they will have a stable full of coaches where some are hired just to coach and nothing else. Not to mention the disparity between the facilities for the teams to train and work out and the full nine. 

I understand the thinking behind most D-2 fans and the like. Everything that is done on the D-2 level is usually superior to those who compete on the D-1 level, if for nothing else, the D-2 programs have so many advantages in ancillary systems that support the team.

That being said ... I think Trezevant can compete with any team in the state regardless of classification or division. However, I'm leaning towards Ensworth just because of the advantages I mentioned plus they have added motivation because last year Trezevant waltzed into Ensworth's stadium and handed them an L. Not only was D-2 Ensworth expected to beat them ... then you add the insult that they lost to a little bitty ole 2A team. So Ensworth has the pressure of living up to expectations. It's just purely unacceptable for a Division 2 program of Ensworth's recent history to lose to a Division 1 school. Especially a Division 1, 2A school, regardless if they were the eventual state champions in that classification. Losing to Trezevant is beneath them. So, then there is that. On paper, Ensworth should OUT platoon Trezevant. Ensworth should OUT athlete them with their robust roster. Ensworth should OUT train them with superior facilities and the like. Ensworth should OUT coach them because ... simply put ... D-2 programs have better coaching staffs and support then D-1 programs. Ensworth is suppose to win this game for all of those reasons.

Quite frankly, nobody has told any of this to coach Teli White and his players over at Trezevant. It's a reason why Trezevant plays and scrimmages against the biggest and baddest teams that he can line his boys up against non-district. He's a no nonsense coach who just doesn't take any excuses from his players. You line up and play and beat the man lined up across from you. That's his philosophy. His players play like it. They compete. Coach Telli White runs off those potential players who don't buy in or won't compete. All of his guys are ride or die type of guys. 

Ensworth is suppose to win this game. It won't be an easy victory if they do win it. I don't think Trezevant loses to Ensworth by two TDs. This will be a very tough hard fought game between two programs that have players that will hit you in the mouth. 

Trezevant isn't your ordinary Div. 1, 2A team. 

Great post and info I just hope its another Trezevant win...Ensworth didnt look really imposing from the game I watched on Friday..I think Trezevant has a chance. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spartan4Life:

On paper Ensworth should be the favorite. They are a large private school that has the ability to offer financial aid for students to attend. They will have a large roster with potential D-1 players on it. Since they are a large private school with a big budget for sports, they will have a stable full of coaches where some are hired just to coach and nothing else. Not to mention the disparity between the facilities for the teams to train and work out and the full nine.

I understand the thinking behind most D-2 fans and the like. Everything that is done on the D-2 level is usually superior to those who compete on the D-1 level, if for nothing else, the D-2 programs have so many advantages in ancillary systems that support the team.

That being said ... I think Trezevant can compete with any team in the state regardless of classification or division. However, I'm leaning towards Ensworth just because of the advantages I mentioned plus they have added motivation because last year Trezevant waltzed into Ensworth's stadium and handed them an L. Not only was D-2 Ensworth expected to beat them ... then you add the insult that they lost to a little bitty ole 2A team. So Ensworth has the pressure of living up to expectations. It's just purely unacceptable for a Division 2 program of Ensworth's recent history to lose to a Division 1 school. Especially a Division 1, 2A school, regardless if they were the eventual state champions in that classification. Losing to Trezevant is beneath them. So, then there is that. On paper, Ensworth should OUT platoon Trezevant. Ensworth should OUT athlete them with their robust roster. Ensworth should OUT train them with superior facilities and the like. Ensworth should OUT coach them because ... simply put ... D-2 programs have better coaching staffs and support then D-1 programs. Ensworth is suppose to win this game for all of those reasons.

Quite frankly, nobody has told any of this to coach Teli White and his players over at Trezevant. It's a reason why Trezevant plays and scrimmages against the biggest and baddest teams that he can line his boys up against non-district. He's a no nonsense coach who just doesn't take any excuses from his players. You line up and play and beat the man lined up across from you. That's his philosophy. His players play like it. They compete. Coach Telli White runs off those potential players who don't buy in or won't compete. All of his guys are ride or die type of guys.

Ensworth is suppose to win this game. It won't be an easy victory if they do win it. I don't think Trezevant loses to Ensworth by two TDs. This will be a very tough hard fought game between two programs that have players that will hit you in the mouth.

Trezevant isn't your ordinary Div. 1, 2A team.

I can and will agree with everything you just said. Except I am still taking Ensworth by a couple scores. But well said. It was shocking they won last year even with Ensworth being down.

Not sure. Ensworths has some D1 athletes. But even if he is I got a question for you.

True or false it take a team to win big games against tough opponents?

I'd like to look at this kid from Trez highlights. Do you have a link?

First let me rebut by saying ... you don't win a state championship without playing as a TEAM against tough competition, regardless of the classification. Trezevant's recent playoff history is as follows:

2010 - Silver Ball, 4A

2012 - 4A Quarterfinals

2013 - 4A Semifinals

2014 - Silver Ball, 4A

2015 - Gold Ball 2A

Do you think any school can have that kind of consistent post season success by being a bunch of athletes? Or, do you think that it take a team, year in and year out, to achieve those types of results in a team sport such as football?

Trezevant has two players on this current roster that have already given verbal commitments to play football  collegiality. The biggest recruit is Cordarrian Richardson, a 6'-0", 225 lb. RB. (No. 5 on the Tennessee 247 list .. his 247 profile has a highlight video) He has committed to play at Clemson next season. The other D-1 commit is Tijuan Mason who is a 6'-6", 210 lb. DE. (No. 41 on the Tennessee 247 list .. his 247 profile does not have a video) He has committed to play at Purdue next season.  

Edited by kwc

Great post and info I just hope its another Trezevant win...Ensworth didnt look really imposing from the game I watched on Friday..I think Trezevant has a chance.

All that tells me is you have no idea how good Baylor is this year. When two big boys play each other they don't look as big until you actually are on the field playing them yourself.

First let me rebut by saying ... you don't win a state championship without playing as a TEAM against tough competition, regardless of the classification. Trezevant's recent playoff history is as follows:

2010 - Silver Ball, 4A

2012 - 4A Quarterfinals

2013 - 4A Semifinals

2014 - Silver Ball, 4A

2015 - Gold Ball 2A

You think any school can have that kind of consistent post season success by being a bunch of athletes. Or does it take a team, year in and year out, to achieve those types of results in a team sport such as football?

Trezevant has two players on this current roster that have already given verbal commitments to play football collegiality. The biggest recruit is Cordarrian Richardson, a 6'-225 lb. RB. (No. 5 on the Tennessee 247 list .. his 247 profile has a highlight video) He has committed to play at Clemson next season. The other D-1 commit is Tijuan Mason who is a 6'-6", 210 lb. DE. (No. 41 on the Tennessee 247 list .. his 247 profile does not have a video) He has committed to play at Purdue next season.

I don't even like Ensworth but their recent history before last year is even more impressive.

Why in the world are y'all in 2A then? Especially when you were in 4A two years ago? So basically this is a 4A school?

I don't even like Ensworth but their recent history before last year is even more impressive.

Why in the world are y'all in 2A then? Especially when you were in 4A two years ago? So basically this is a 4A school?

LOLOLOLOL ... just imagine all of the 2A programs that thought like that when Trezevant was moved down to 2A.

1st ... I'm a Whitehaven guy ... but I also pull for schools from the City of Memphis, ergo, my commenting and creating this thread.

2nd ... Trezevant, like a lot of schools from the City of Memphis, usually play UP a classification, if they think they can compete. (Memphis East, Ridgeway, Trezevant, to name a few) When Trezevant played in 4A, they were actually classified as a 3A school at that time.  When the TSSAA recently reclassified the schools, Trezevant was classified as a 2A school. They just decided to stay in the classification that they were put in this time.

Edited by kwc

LOLOLOLOL ... just imagine all of the 2A programs that thought like that when Trezevant was moved down to 2A.

1st ... I'm a Whitehaven guy ... but I also pull for schools from the City of Memphis, ergo, my commenting and creating this thread.

2nd ... Trezevant, like a lot of schools from the City of Memphis, usually play UP a classification, if they think they can compete. (Memphis East, Ridgeway, Trezevant, to name a few) When Trezevant played in 4A, they were actually classified as a 3A school at that time. When the TSSAA recently reclassified the schools, Trezevant was classified as a 2A school. They just decided to stay in the classification that they were put in this time.

I see I see. Well now that I know it's a 4A talent school playing and not a typical 2A school I will give them a little more respect than at first. I still like Ensworth to win this one however.

As I figured, massive assumptions being made about the Memphis team... Since you don't know wassup with the opponent you shouldn't say that a team that lost will win by 3 TDs... I mean Ensworth may win but I doubt it simply because Teli White ain't goin

Not assumption on a Memphis team. Just knowing the level Ensworth plays with and against.

We will see on Friday.