District 4-A 2016-2017

VFL44

District Match-ups this week........... Monday- Jellico @ Wartburg; Tuesday- Oakdale @ Oliver Springs & Oneida @ Coalfield; Friday- Sunbright @ Oakdale, Wartburg @ Oliver Springs & Jellico at Coalfield........... Oakdale & Wartburg better not sleep on Oliver Springs as playing in the Land of OZ is a difficult envirnoment.........If Coalfield wins out this week they will secure the #3 seed unless Jellico knocks off Wartburg then they will secure the #3 seed barring they hold serve at Sunbright which they should. Wartburg & Oakdale have to win out this week to keep pace for #1 seed.    Should be some interesting games.

Really shouldn't make a ton of difference.  All four very likely will match up after play-in games. I could see any of the four making the finals. I don't really see how 5 -7 pull an upset in play-in games. It's at WB... that'll will make them a slight favorite... whether they're #1 or #2 to start. 2, 3,4 after tourney are very likely done 1st round of region....gotta win tourney to feel like you have a chance to advance at all in region play.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the tournament is at Wartburg every year. What's up with that?

gym size requirements. I think the MC schools want to keep it there. CF, OD and SB aren't big enough. Keeps it more central in district as well. Not sure about Jellico & Oneida....Just looking at gyms, they look as big(or bigger) than WB....? And OS...well, it's a tad rough...wouldn't want to play there for sure regardless of size.

Edited by CAH09

gym size requirements. I think the MC schools want to keep it there. CF, OD and SB aren't big enough. Keeps it more central in district as well. Not sure about Jellico & Oneida....Just looking at gyms, they look as big(or bigger) than WB....? And OS...well, it's a tad rough...wouldn't want to play there for sure regardless of size.

I believe jellico, Oneida and wartburg are the only 3 big enough to host so the Morgan county teams always make sure it's at WB

I believe jellico, Oneida and wartburg are the only 3 big enough to host so the Morgan county teams always make sure it's at WB

That is correct Jellico, OZ, and Oneida are always left out on the short end of the vote.  The four Morgan County schools always vote to keep it at Wartburg.  I'm not even sure they have a meeting anymore to determine where it is played.  I think Jellico, OZ, & Oneida just waved the white towel and accepted they were never gonna get it moved out of Wartburg.  No other district I know of operates this way........... they all use rotation of sites or neutral site selection.   This topic is talked about every year so this is nothing new to District 4 teams.

Edited by ZOA9

They tried to move it to Anderson county one year. I am sure Wartburg would be glad to  move it  They are a lot of work that go’s in to a it and the money is divided up between the teams that make the final 4.  Just my 2 cents  but I think the gate would go way down if the tournament was at Oneida or Jellico it would be a long drive for all , and most fans would not make the trip Everyone is about 15-20 minutes from Wartburg except Oneida and  Jellico

Oneida is not big enough, only WB and Jellico. Wartburg AD and assistant boys bball coach voted to move it to Anderson County last year when a motion was made. The teams that play on each night split the money brought in that night. WB makes no more than anyone else and puts in more work by my observation. If you don't want the schools to make any money and only have 75 people in the gym then move it to Jellico. This wont be an issue after this year with the new district there will be more schools able to host after this year. Its not WB fault they are the only school close by that has a gym big enough to host. WB doesnt have any advantage, have played in title game 7 or 8 times in last ten years and have only one 2. OZ girls bball Coach Christopher has won more titles there than Joe Layne.

Title Games:

2007 Wb vs OS- OS won

2008 WB vs SUN- WB won

2009 satellite games that year. WB vs OS at OS- OS won

2010 Jellico vs OS- Jellico won

2011 Jellico vs WB- Jellico won

2012 WB vs Oneida- WB won

2013 WB vs SUN- Sun won

2014 WB vs COAL- Coal won

2015 COAL vs Oak- game got snowed out and OAK was given title by default by being 1 seed

2016 WB vs Oak- Oak won

2010 OS beat Jellico.......

Title Games:

2007 Wb vs OS- OS won

2008 WB vs SUN- WB won

2009 satellite games that year. WB vs OS at OS- OS won

2010 Jellico vs OS- OS Won

2011 Jellico vs WB- Jellico won

2012 WB vs Oneida- WB won

2013 WB vs SUN- Sun won

2014 WB vs COAL- Coal won

2015 COAL vs Oak- game got snowed out and OAK was given title by default by being 1 seed

2016 WB vs Oak- Oak won

You are correct cookevegas3, that was my mistake. However that proves my no advantage point even more that OS has won as many there as WB. In past 10 years 6 out of 7 boys district teams have won a title at WB with Oneida being the only exception and they should have won it with that loaded team in 2012. The 5 teams besides WB that have won a title in last 10 years all beat WB to do so. As much fussing that goes on over this these stats show that there is really no argument. It is as cut and dry as it can possibly be. I bet there are very few districts in single A where 90% of the district has won a title in past 10 years.

Good win for the jackets over Farragut last night. The district tournament should be a dandy.

yes, CF played well. It was never even close. They're better than Farragut, but not that much better. Farragut plays Maryville tonight...I think maybe they played a larger rotation to rest some kids more. Curious to see if Thursday's game a FHS looks quite a bit different... I don't think losing at home by that margin again would go over very well. Edited by CAH09

It's almost district tourney time and I was just wanting to get people's thoughts and opinions on how it'll go and who will come out as the district champ. I personally am going to go with the best player in the district in Parker Mckinney to make it to the championship game vs Oakdale and ruin their chances of going back to back. (Not counting it as a three-peat considering the championship game was never played even though oakdale swept CF in the Reg. Season.)