Hendersonville @ Gallatin

Wave16

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Hendersonville still Gallatin's biggest rival?

It is close with Station Camp. I figure a few more games and Station Camp will pass Hendersonville. Gallatin and Hendersonville just do not like each other period. Station Camp still has step brother status but the kids are mostly friends. It is not uncommon to see Station Camp kids at games and at the high school. The lines are drawn so erratic on the west side of town.

It is close with Station Camp. I figure a few more games and Station Camp will pass Hendersonville. Gallatin and Hendersonville just do not like each other period. Station Camp still has step brother status but the kids are mostly friends. It is not uncommon to see Station Camp kids at games and at the high school. The lines are drawn so erratic on the west side of town.

I would say as far as how close the games are, and overall competitiveness, it would have to be Mount Juliet. Year in year out that game is a nail biter.

Depends on who you ask who Hville's biggest rival is. The over 40 crowd might say Gallatin. Under 40 Beech by a wide margin. I don't buy the "they just don't like each other" statement. My son grew up playing ball with and against Beech kids, SC kids, and a few Gallatin kids. Of course he wants to win in every sport against all of them but has no dislike against any. I grew up in West TN and remember Gallatin's epic battles with Jackson Central Merry in the mid 70's and have always believed they are one of the storied programs in this state. When I moved to Hville in the mid 80's Gallatin was the program everybody wanted to be. Coach Robert Lassiter got Hville going in the mid 90's and then Coach Hatfield has taken us to the

next level since. A lot of respect for the Wave from Hville fans but I don't sense a lot of dislike. Looking forward to competing with the Wave and their sensational RB Ponchez Mason tonight. Should be a good one.

Depends on who you ask who Hville's biggest rival is. The over 40 crowd might say Gallatin. Under 40 Beech by a wide margin. I don't buy the "they just don't like each other" statement. My son grew up playing ball with and against Beech kids, SC kids, and a few Gallatin kids. Of course he wants to win in every sport against all of them but has no dislike against any. I grew up in West TN and remember Gallatin's epic battles with Jackson Central Merry in the mid 70's and have always believed they are one of the storied programs in this state. When I moved to Hville in the mid 80's Gallatin was the program everybody wanted to be. Coach Robert Lassiter got Hville going in the mid 90's and then Coach Hatfield has taken us to the

next level since. A lot of respect for the Wave from Hville fans but I don't sense a lot of dislike. Looking forward to competing with the Wave and their sensational RB Ponchez Mason tonight. Should be a good one.

I guess that is one perspective. Having grown up all my life in Gallatin, I can honestly say that beating Hendersonville has always been a priority when it comes to sports. Gallatin has had such huge success against Hendersonville that it became common place to beat them. Gallatin being the county seat and Hendersonville being the town that everyone considered rich, on the lake and had the better restaurants. It seemed like Gallatin was the poor country school that had a large portion of minority's living in it to be nice. We were always looked down upon. Until Hatfield came this was not much of a rivalry but that changed. Gallatin holds a sizable lead overall 45-17-1 and most of Hendersonville's wins have been in the Hatfield era. Hendersonville has had the better teams many times but Gallatin seemed to always best them. Not the case anymore. Ask Tommy Stamps about that. Hendersonville has painted the press box in the early 80's, taunted the fans when we had wins taken away, both sides talked so much trash that there have been fights, beaten Gallatin multiple times to knock Gallatin out of the playoffs and here of late just beat Gallatin like a drum. So to say this is not much of a dislike in my view is inaccurate. Granted there is respect but I assure you MANY want nothing more than to beat Hendersonville at football,basketball, baseball, tennis, bowling, math competitions whatever. I guess that is what is fueling some of this rivalry. But make no doubt that even though these teams respect the other they do not like each other. From where and others see it.

I would say as far as how close the games are, and overall competitiveness, it would have to be Mount Juliet. Year in year out that game is a nail biter.

Not that close actually. Maybe if they were in the same region again but this game has lost a lot of its luster over the years.

1 thing that will happen tonight regardless of the winner. After the game I always meet at the 50 yd line with one of your biggest supporters to shake hands, discuss the game briefly, talk about upcoming games, etc. We do this at football, baseball, and basketball games every year between the Wave and the Commandos. Good luck tonight and for the rest of the season.

1 more thing for Hville. Big shout out to the freshman coaching staff and players on their win last win last night over Gallatin and their overall season this year. Finished 5-2 with wins over Gallatin, Beech, Smyrna, Blackman, and Republic. Not the biggest, fastest, or most athletic but showed a lot of Commando pride all year. Good job guys!