William Blount hosts Bradley Central

Governm

[quote name="BcAlumni1982" post="3600731" timestamp="1478016079

But I hate it for the kids. I dont know how many times over the years ive seen kids make it to high school and don't have the success that many projected for them. sometimes its coaches get in the way of that and sometimes just bad timing and bad luck.

Sometimes they physically mature in middle school and everyone else catches up with them in high school.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say about the 2016 Govs is they had all their goals in front of them and dropped the ball, period. They went up to DB and played darn near a perfect game and then it was right back to halfhearted effort. If it's not effort, what is it? How else do you explain beating DB,giving HVA all they could handle, losing to Jeff Co and Bearden, and giving up 50 to Science Hill all in the same season? There's no other explanation for it. The game against Bradley was still a meaningful game in regards to region standings and playoff seeding but the team as a whole did not play like it. The Govs as a whole did not play with the same effort and intensity every week and that is why they have another 2-9 season staring them in the face.

Edited by Governors91

I believe he did a time or two....but, it is too late now.

Just making sure Stars isn't letting opportunity slip through his hands. He has been focusing in other regions and states and I wanted to make sure he is not overlooking the locals.

Your son had a nice career. Regardless of the team results, he will be a better person for it with few regrets. Congrats on raising a great young man. 

All I can say about the 2016 Govs is they had all their goals in front of them and dropped the ball, period. They went up to DB and played darn near a perfect game and then it was right back to halfhearted effort. If it's not effort, what is it? How else do you explain beating DB,giving HVA all they could handle, losing to Jeff Co and Bearden, and giving up 50 to Science Hill all in the same season? There's no other explanation for it. The game against Bradley was still a meaningful game in regards to region standings and playoff seeding but the team as a whole did not play like it. The Govs as a whole did not play with the same effort and intensity every week and that is why they have another 2-9 season staring them in the face.

#shaddaddy

Just making sure Stars isn't letting opportunity slip through his hands. He has been focusing in other regions and states and I wanted to make sure he is not overlooking the locals.

Your son had a nice career. Regardless of the team results, he will be a better person for it with few regrets. Congrats on raising a great young man. 

No, Stars isn't slipping, he made his rounds in the Carpenters Campground area.  I appreciate the kind words.

I think more played into it than just effort, but I could be wrong...I have been wrong more than I have been right.  In any case, it doesn't matter now. 

Hope it turns out better for them if they make that decision.  For this old dad it has been a four year nightmare....but, it is almost over and we can get on with the rest of our lives.  They say what don't kill you will make you stronger.  I had some of the players over at the house last night and it is sad to see some kids that once loved the game and now are almost to the point that they hate the game.

Jake,

First of all, I hope you realize how much it has meant to our community that Austin (and mom & dad) did make the decision to keep him at WB.  The same for all those graduating seniors that have stuck with us through thick and thin.  While Austin didn't enjoy as much success on the football field as we would have loved to have seen, I don't suspect that that is going to impede the great successes that he is going to experience as he moves on to the next leg of his journey into adulthood.  He is a quality young man that reflects our school and community well.

I honestly believe that good groundwork is being put down that will result in our football program gaining more respectability in the coming years.  I believe we have an upper tier head coach, who is on his way to building a quality staff.  I also believe we are doing really, really good things at the middle school level--beginning with the leadership--that are going to pay dividends.

I spent a little time today researching the past 38 seasons of WB football to try to find any trends or variables that might explain where we are right now.  It's tough to make any sense out of our past.  Our most successful run was an 11-year period between 1997 & 2007.  During that time we won 66 and lost 57.  We only had one losing season. We made the play-offs 9 out of 11 years.  Locally, we were 11-0 vs Heritage; 5 - 3 vs Alcoa; & 1 - 10 vs Maryville (some things never change).  And so I'm thinking ... coaching stability.  But then I realize, we had five different head coaches (Fickert, McMahan, Reid, Phelps, and Meadows) in those 11 seasons. Hmmmmm .....

By the way--and some of you are thinking I have way too much time on my hands ... in 38 years, Blount has had 11 head coaches.  Two of the 11 won more games than they lost while at WB -- Scott Meadows and Earl McMahan.

It's hard to make any sense out of it sometimes.

Well,

Your son was one of the ones who gave 110%. I hate it for the kids like him who played to win.

Gov91....That is really kind and I appreciate it.  As I said in an earlier post, you are a true fan. One of the players at my house last night was talking about you so evidently he has visited this site before, he was telling Austin how you were WB's biggest fan.  Austin told him that he was going to use "Gov91" as one of his audibles Friday night, much the same way Peyton use to use "Omaha".  Thought you would get a kick out of that.

Gov91....That is really kind and I appreciate it.  As I said in an earlier post, you are a true fan. One of the players at my house last night was talking about you so evidently he has visited this site before, he was telling Austin how you were WB's biggest fan.  Austin told him that he was going to use "Gov91" as one of his audibles Friday night, much the same way Peyton use to use "Omaha".  Thought you would get a kick out of that.

You made his day on this one! He told me Saturday he didn't think he could make it to the Boro. I bet he's changed his mind!