Wb and Heritage not scheduling Alcoa. Thoughts?

32hammer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for Heritage, but imo the only reason WB put Alcoa on the schedule is because non-conference games do not matter for 6A teams. Playoff seeding is ranked on region records only. In the past, non-region games could mean the difference between going to the playoffs and staying home. I dont know all the details of the new 6A setup, but I am guessing that non-region games count towards playoff seeding and thus WB is dropping Alcoa. Also, with road trips to schools like Science Hill and DB it made sense to have a game with Alcoa for gate money.

I can't speak for Heritage, but imo the only reason WB put Alcoa on the schedule is because non-conference games do not matter for 6A teams. Playoff seeding is ranked on region records only. In the past, non-region games could mean the difference between going to the playoffs and staying home. I dont know all the details of the new 6A setup, but I am guessing that non-region games count towards playoff seeding and thus WB is dropping Alcoa. Also, with road trips to schools like Science Hill and DB it made sense to have a game with Alcoa for gate money.

Non conference games do matter in the other classifications this year.  It becomes a tie breaker if you have more than 2 teams tied and one did not beat both. It may actually come into play in several regions in 5A depending upon games this week.

I think G91 is right about why WB put them on the schedule.  I can see both sides of the situation, and I personally would have thought of the future possibilities of things going away from the Super 32 and back to the normal scenario and if I were not comfortable having them on the schedule under the normal scenario, then I never would have put them back on the schedule to begin with.  All they have done now is open up the old wounds again.  But I don't make that decision and I am sure that the powers that be could care less what my opinion is on the situation.

To be honest, WB is probably looking for a schedule where they can get some wins.  The only way for them to keep some kids is to start winning. 

This didn't surprise me at all after the losing their potential best player during the off season to Alcoa and all the Eagleton kids deciding to attend there as well. I realize the parents of those kids make those decisions and not the kids but the kids pay the price for it being ridiculed by their former team mates and friends. I personally don't know how many WB loses to the city schools but being closer to the Heritage program I do realize exactly who they have lost to each school which could of made a difference maybe not in those two games but against other schools in their district. I knew the blood was bad at Heritage and fully expected this move and I also have expected Alcoa to have to take forfeits to district games in the near future as did Oak Ridge some thirty years ago so they would have to go hunt for teams to play them. That is the reason I see Alcoa has not got much of an option but to move up to 4A which will actually be a big plus for their program and the attendance. Face it Red Bank brought 30 fans to the game last Thursday Night so how do you not go into a financial hole pulling such nonsense. I truly believe Alcoa will be just as good in 4A as they were in 3A but the bottom line will see the benefit of making more money for the program.