Quarles leaving Maryville

GC_Quincy

That depends.  I don't really think that Maryville gets that many kids "not from Maryville."  Yes, they have some kids who are tuition kids and they get some transfers from time to time, but most of the tuition kids are tuition kids from kindergarten on and are doing that because Maryville is an excellent education system that prepares kids for college.  In terms of transfers, it once again depends on why the parents are moving that kid.  I think most are moving their child to be in an entirely better school system, and part of that is football.  I don't think, but I could be wrong, many parents are moving their children to Maryville simply because of football/Quarles.

Still, just to play the game, it all depends on how the next coach does.  If there are parents planning to move their kids in 2017 then they may have pause and might not do so.  However, if the new coach has an excellent season in 2017 and seems to be a good person then I don't see why any parents would not want their kid to go to Maryville to continue to play at a high competitive level and to get an excellent education.

I understand. But, OR was recently rated the 3rd best public HS in TN, and I think Maryville was in the 20's range, so you have to figure it's more than just the great school system lol...

I understand. But, OR was recently rated the 3rd best public HS in TN, and I think Maryville was in the 20's range, so you have to figure it's more than just the great school system lol...

OR is a fantastic school, but Maryville is no slouch. Some families have the ability to move to the zone of their choice, while others can't. Why would a family that lives in Walland or Friendsville pay tuition and drive all the way to Oak Ridge when they could pay tuition and take a much shorter drive to Maryville?

OR is a fantastic school, but Maryville is no slouch. Some families have the ability to move to the zone of their choice, while others can't. Why would a family that lives in Walland or Friendsville pay tuition and drive all the way to Oak Ridge when they could pay tuition and take a much shorter drive to Maryville?

What I'm saying is we have probably the best school system in East TN arguably, and we aren't getting players from all over Anderson Co. That's my point. So, obviously a lot of that has to do with football. But, we aren't winning crazily like Maryville either. But, my point is if it was merely academics we'd be getting a lot of transfers in throughout Anderson Co which isn't the case.

Edited by SweetScience

What I'm saying is we have probably the best school system in East TN arguably, and we aren't getting players from all over Anderson Co. That's my point. So, obviously a lot of that has to do with football. But, we aren't winning crazily like Maryville either. But, my point is if it was merely academics we'd be getting a lot of transfers in throughout Anderson Co which isn't the case.

Win a championship or two and that might change........

Hey boyz!  :rolleyes:

It is with great sadness that I have to confirm what broke this morning.  We talked about it as a family last night and Suzette and I gave it our best shot, but it was very apparent GQ's heart was no longer in our relationship.

Even the best things have to come to an end.  I hope Mike White is considered, he is as quiet and unassuming as GQ.  I wish GQ nothing but the best, he has served our community well and continued the tradition that me, Ted and several others started.

This hurts but I am confident with Stars receiving a "stipend" for his recruiting efforts and me and Suzette still on the recruiting trail we can keep the dynasty moving forward!

Love you boyz! :rolleyes:

I don't know the numbers, so I don't know whether Maryville gets any more or any less transfers than OR does.  Even so, how many of these transfers over the years have been significant contributors at Maryville as opposed to the transfers to OR?  Again, I don't know the numbers.  You also then have to compare whether Maryville was getting a similar number of transfers before Quarles or if it increased with our success, and how did that relate to Maryville's growth rate.  

From 2000-2009 (which largely coincided with the beginning of GQ's success) Blount County had one of the largest increases of population in the state.  So, I don't think that the draw of the county is or has been football, but I think if you have a son who plays football and you're choosing a house you may very well decide to be in the Maryville or Alcoa school districts rather than the county.