Who will be the next coach at GCA?

Raven52

I don't fault the GCA decision makers one bit for having a process and sticking to it. I would imagine that process involves calling not only the references each candidate provides, but also others who might be good sources of feedback about the candidate but who weren't the "references" listed by the candidate himself. I would imagine it would include calling people who are more familiar with the candidate than the casual observer based upon having worked with the guy for some time, coached with him, or having had some kids play for him.

When the decision makers do those things, they might get a different picture of the candidate than the casual observer on CoachT might have based upon what they read in the newspapers and on CoachT. Every coach has pros and cons...the people who have the keenest appreciation for the pros and the cons are the people who've had the most interaction with the coach over a period of time.

For those of you who think CRB would have been a slam-dunk, knock it out of the park hire for GCA, I would be interested in what your perception or understanding is regarding some questions:

1. What is your understanding of why CRB left CAK? Was it his choice, or the school's, or both? If it was his decision, why did he leave and do those reasons seem valid? If it was CAK's, what were the reasons (as you understand them--surely among the GCA fan base that is excited about CRB as a candidate there's some general narrative about this topic).

2. Why do you think he now wants to leave USJ after only one year, when that job was touted as being a great opportunity for him? If it's mostly about getting back to Knoxville, why did he leave in the first place--see question one above.

3. If he has taken himself out of consideration (which is the inference I'm drawing from a couple of the recent posts on here), why did he do so? If he's really excited about the job, why not let the school take its time and make sure IT is equally comfortable with him being the best candidate for the job? In other words, what's the hurry?

This is a very interesting topic, and I strongly suspect there's more to it than just the GCA search committee being idiots and either intentionally or carelessly making the totally wrong decision when the "obvious" choice is right in front of them.

I agree with you, this is a very interesting topic. I also know the answers to all 3 of your questions (both pros and cons), as I'm not just a casual observer. This isn't something we need to get into on here. You seem to have issues with CRB and I feel it's best that we leave it at that. I appreciate a good discussion, but I also don't like to run a man down that's no longer considering the position at Grace Christian Academy. I hope you can understand my reluctance to discuss certain things in this forum.

Agreed.  If he's removed himself from contention, it really is a moot subject.  Hopefully that will cause folks to also turn down the heat some on the members of the hiring committee too.  I'm sure they're doing the best they can to find the right man for the job.

I agree with you, this is a very interesting topic. I also know the answers to all 3 of your questions (both pros and cons), as I'm not just a casual observer. This isn't something we need to get into on here. You seem to have issues with CRB and I feel it's best that we leave it at that. I appreciate a good discussion, but I also don't like to run a man down that's no longer considering the position at Grace Christian Academy. I hope you can understand my reluctance to discuss certain things in this forum.

I see trouble in paridise. Just what kind of deal are you all running at Grace Baptist, sorry I mean Grace Christian. Maybe this is the cows coming home after all of your celebrations of Jesus loves us this we know, watch us go something and 0 or something like that. SOME PEOPLE HAVE LONG, GOOD MEMORIES!

Well... it looks like a sore loser got redirected from the DI 1A and 2A board by accident. Don't worry about us we'll be fine. Go back to watching Hee-Haw re-runs on Netflix.

Is Hee Has really on Netflix?

I had to wait to get home to look, but no Hee-Haw on Netflix. Have to watch it on YouTube. DI A&AA thread reference wasn't for GHS, but for schools who like to sling mud and make light of a Christian education. Not everyone who goes to a Christian school is a Christian, but they shouldn't be judged any different than secular schools. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I've never seen it in the bible where it says if thou art a Christian school, thou must putteth the JV in after a 14 pt lead. It's not wrong to want to win. God is a winner. Girly Guy needs to let it go

Back to the topic at hand, I keep hearing talk about somebody from FL being considered.

I do a lot of reading on here (I can't find Hee-Haw on Netflix!) and little typing. I'm bored on a conference call that I shouldn't be on. And, I'm bored with all the back and forth on here, so here goes nothing. I think if you look at every post I've ever made, it supports GCA, one way or another. This will be no different.....in case you want to waste the next 5 min reading something else.  

First, I am curious why you care, unless, maybe it would make you look bad (AD?) or the program look bad at CAK, if your old coach came back and succeeded at our little school. A CAK person could have a lot to lose if that happened. Or, maybe you're friends with someone that has other plans? I thought God was driving this hire! I hope He is! It is hard for me to understand why you seem to be so against a guy that I know little about, but have heard only positive things from all accounts, CAK players, parents, other coaches. The committee/admin will do what is right. I believe that!

Though, I'm not as well informed as many, I have also heard a coach from FL is interested.

I'm sure he's probably a great guy, who is a head coach of a program similar to ours. I do wonder how we found him, what the connection could be. How do you find a diamond in the rough like that? Maybe he called us? Again, I must have faith in our admin/committee (don't even know who they all are, but if admin picked them, they must be good folks.) I'm sure the committee has picked out a bunch of good guys. I heard today they are interviewing this week, so we are getting closer. That is good for the boys. They are the ones suffering all the anxiety through this process.

Our Ath Dir did talk about a couple of steps in the process that must have been completed by now. One promised/agreed upon step was to make sure, at the request of everyone who spoke at the meeting, that the assistant coaches stayed intimately involved in the process. They are the only ones left the kids trust. They are crucial in getting the buy-in from the kids and helping with a smooth transition into spring after this is completed. I suppose that happened, and surely one or more of those guys are on the actual committee. That would only make sense.

Another step was for each committee member to cull through the resumes individually and rank the top five or six, I believe. As a parent I would be very interested in knowing what those rankings looked like. I'd like to think we would be appreciated enough to at least know who those guys are from 1 to 5 or 6.

Then, I believe they were to approach the list of candidates and do interviews, with a hiring offer to come very shortly thereafter. Those must be the two steps left. And, if what I heard today is true, interviews start today. We're getting close!

At the end of the day, I would surely like to think that our administration thinks enough of our players, parents (many of whom give their lives/careers to GCA,) & the current coaching staff, to bring in someone who is currently at least a somewhat successful HEAD COACH! These upperclassmen, most have spent their entire school careers at GCA, deserve at least that much consideration. Not to mention, there are a handful of them that have legitimate college ball potential. The HC needs to get to work helping the class of '18 at least reach out to colleges in the area and surrounding states NOW, not in April/May. This may seem trivial or selfish to some, but it means a lot ($$,$$$.$$/yr) to some that have given much in return.                                               

I'll end with this..... I know, I know....thank The Lord!  Through the end of this, I have to trust our committee and admin to do what is right for these kids. That is the process......

I love Grace Christian Academy, always have! Things are looking bright this year with the hire of an incredible new Head of Upper School. Here's hoping we can hit another homerun soon that everyone supports from day one. Time is ticking on these upper-classmen. They deserve it as much as the younger ones! GO RAMS!!!!