Top 10 Teams 2018

ObserverW

12 hours ago, durdon said:

Most years the 106 big school champion including last year has been previous years TNAAU state champion usually the 100p chsmpion..  TJ was the exception to that for 2 years.   Braxton has a ton of national experience, and had done well nationally.  He placed 3rd at TOC.  He is a kid that has never cut at all either.  He will be one of the favorites at 106 this year..  I was talking to several coaches not from East TN yesterday at the Super32 qualifier in Ga and we were talking about different weights this year and they all said that Braxton will make the finals at 6 this year.  6 is pretty wide open this year, and there not a lot of returning guys at that weight.   Who do u think will be on the medal stand if not Braxton.  

Bradley  and Cleveland both will have a couple of 106 this year that will make noise. If Devaney doesn't stay at 106, Eathon Wilson should be there and contending. Possibly being a medal place from the get go.

Cleveland has a feller named McDaniel (spelling).  Could possibly win state his 1st year. 

That is if both makes it to 106 with weight. Wilson wrestled in 106 last year weighing in at 101-103 on all JV matches. Only had a 1 loss record. It will be fun seeing these 2 all year.

11 hours ago, topperpride11 said:

I'm still a little unclear on Wysong's eligibility at Cleveland but after what I've heard surrounding the transfer, I don't think he will be eligible this season.  Given that, and at the risk of sounding like a homer, I think Science Hill is the clear front runner for a state title.  With Nate, I think Cleveland makes it a battle.  Otherwise The Hill has too many returning weapons along with adding a few freshman and sophomores that have been mentioned before.  

We have 8 potential medalist, probably at least 4 finalist and maybe 5 if we have a great tournament.  

• Mann
  • Seeley*
  • Story*
  • James*
  • Diehl*
  • Kalogeros
  • Brown
  • Medina

In addition, we have a few just sitting outside a medal and will score real points.  This is the year that we bring a gold trophy back to East Tennessee!

No one will come close to beating Cleveland this year. Not gonna happen. 

I thought that to claim us as a clear front runner was most definitely overzealous, but I also think to say no one will come close to Cleveland is also overzealous. I agree that Cleveland is the team to beat for sure. They have earned that. But I think there will be a couple teams right on their heels and working hard to make up the small difference. 

17 hours ago, hawks11 said:

There's been a lot of good discussions about 106. How are some of the other weight classes looking, and who are we thinking those favorites are? I know it might be early, but I'm curious where it is looking like kids are going to end up at. I'm sure a lot of kids have grown over the summer. 

Arlington will have a few that will be in contention for medals:

Michael Cannon - 113 (returning medalist)

Harrison Phillips - 145 (returning medalist)

Dalton Cockman - 152

Austin Antcliffe - 170

Jack Lewis - 182

12 hours ago, KingGreene said:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Javier Salvador at 220 and Kramer at HWT are safe bets. Wherever Kyle Smith is (170 or 182) he should be the favorite.

Beech has multiple other favorites: Palmer and Hoarst to repeat at 113 and 120.

Rippy is most likely a favorite at 160 if that is where he is, but Chase Diehl will be the only returning medalist from 160 and I would imagine those two would have a heck of a battle if they meet up! Landon Fowler could also end up at 160 making 160 a very interesting weight. 

If Jack Hicks is at 195, he should be a favorite there. I would like to see Hicks and Smith wrestle. They could possibly both be at 182  

I know I am bias, but I would think the returning finalist at 182lbs should be in the mix as well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KingGreene said:

No doubt about that! Christian looked great the couple times I saw him this summer. Slick and confident!... A lot of talent returning from that 182 bracket in fact. 4 of the 6 medalist return along with Hicks. 

Salter medaled at Pan Ams in both styles and has wrestled a ton this summer probably more than the other 4 guys in that weight class combined plus he really developing physically.  As deep as that weight class is Salter is the HEAVY favorite at that weight. 

I don't know much about the other three, but I'd say you're probably right that he is a heavy favorite among those returning from 182 and as long as Smith and Hicks are in different weight classes. If any of those 3 are in the same weight, that should be interesting. I know Salter has been putting in the work for sure. Smith was recovering from injury. I didn't see much of Hicks this offseason. 

6 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Arlington will have a few that will be in contention for medals:

Michael Cannon - 113 (returning medalist)

Harrison Phillips - 145 (returning medalist)

Dalton Cockman - 152

Austin Antcliffe - 170

Jack Lewis - 182

I saw Antcliff was wrestling 182 this past weekend! Must have put on a lot of weight during the offseason.... And Dalton Cockman? Another big transfer? He will benefit a lot from being in that room.

1 hour ago, WrestlingGod said:

Christian Brothers, Father Ryan, Cleveland/Bradley

I could easily see Christian Brothers, Cleveland, Arlington, McCallie and Beech all being very solid.  Unless Simpson pulls another Harry Houdini at the end of the season I don't see Father Ryan being in the mix due to their youth and inexperience.  

• Upvote 1