2a AP poll

Redrage1990

8 hours ago, wildcat89 said:

I like watching UC play when they're on top of their game but I think they got a little rebuilding going on this year. I have no dog in this race but I like what I've seen out of Waverly 

No rebuilding going on. Just one of those games where a lot went wrong and all you could do is hold on. The performance we had against Haywood Co in the Jamboree the week before and the Mayfield game was night and day difference. I'm starting to think our new friends from Mayfield brought some weird Graves Co mojo with them. Hope they took it back with them. 

Much respect to the Cardinals. If anyone out there loves high school football, go see them play if you ever have a chance. 

2 hours ago, fallguy17 said:

Unless you've seen Mayfield operate then you don't get it. I use the word operate for a reason, they're a finely tuned machine. No excuses from us (UC). We played poorly and made a lot of mistakes at critical times and still managed 300+ yards of offense. So, we'll correct our issues and be ready for whom ever comes calling.

300 yards of offense and no points. Never heard of anything like it. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, PurplePower68 said:

This is how a sportswriter from the Jackson Sun voted. 

1. Trousdale County 

2. Columbia Academy

3. Union City

4. Meigs County

5. Tyner

6. Adamsville

7. Marion County

8. Waverly

9. McKenzie

10. Peabody

Mckenzie was shut out by the Mustangs. I don't agree with that and it tells me 2A is not very strong across the state. No offense to Mckenzie a team that was shut out 34-0 by a good 1A school. Besides the Jackson Sun is a joke period!

1 hour ago, JungleJim125 said:

Mckenzie was shut out by the Mustangs. I don't agree with that and it tells me 2A is not very strong across the state. No offense to Mckenzie a team that was shut out 34-0 by a good 1A school. Besides the Jackson Sun is a joke period!

Both the lower classes are so watered down now it's pitiful. T$$AA is making that money though. Thats all that matters.

I guess my explanations are getting lost on you TN folk. I will break it down for you a bit. The reason UC looked night and day different was due to the talent on the other side. I tried explaining this earlier. Our goal isn't necessarily to stop an offense cold turkey. If we do, that's nice but, we will bend. The idea is that we make the team work down the field over a long series. If it takes 10-12 plays for a high school team to complete a drive, the chances are very high that along the way they will commit a costly penalty or turnover. We have the speed and all other aspects to allow us to do just that. In most games, the other team will have more penalty yardage and turnovers. This is a staple of Catdinal football. The way you can tell if a team is good after playing us, in most instances, is if they were close in yardage. That may not ever equate to points though. UC is good. I just think TN small school football needs to catch up as a whole. 

25 minutes ago, Mysonis55 said:

I guess my explanations are getting lost on you TN folk. I will break it down for you a bit. The reason UC looked night and day different was due to the talent on the other side. I tried explaining this earlier. Our goal isn't necessarily to stop an offense cold turkey. If we do, that's nice but, we will bend. The idea is that we make the team work down the field over a long series. If it takes 10-12 plays for a high school team to complete a drive, the chances are very high that along the way they will commit a costly penalty or turnover. We have the speed and all other aspects to allow us to do just that. In most games, the other team will have more penalty yardage and turnovers. This is a staple of Catdinal football. The way you can tell if a team is good after playing us, in most instances, is if they were close in yardage. That may not ever equate to points though. UC is good. I just think TN small school football needs to catch up as a whole. 

Sounds like you need a piece of Alcoa. They are a pretty small school. BTW Tennessee has had a lot of small teams through the years that were very good.  Just in the 90's and 2000's alone. South Pittsburg in 93,94,98,99,2007. Trousdale County in 93,94,97,98,99,2005,2009. CPA in 2000, Union City in 2014, Dresden in 2016.  There have been some really good teams. Alcoa has been 2A a lot of that time as well. That doesn't even include them. 

1 hour ago, Mysonis55 said:

Y'all "bend don't break" is a very good philosophical defense for the regular season, but is it a very good strategy on defense come playoff time? 300 yards on defense, but gave up 0 points? Give yourself a pat on the back, but what happened if UC scored four touchdowns? Sometimes, teams get lucky and teams don't. Sometimes, the "bend don't break" defense doesn't bend on a Friday night, it just breaks. And if that happens in a playoff game, that stinks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

Sounds like you need a piece of Alcoa. They are a pretty small school. BTW Tennessee has had a lot of small teams through the years that were very good.  Just in the 90's and 2000's alone. South Pittsburg in 93,94,98,99,2007. Trousdale County in 93,94,97,98,99,2005,2009. CPA in 2000, Union City in 2014, Dresden in 2016.  There have been some really good teams. Alcoa has been 2A a lot of that time as well. That doesn't even include them. 

I thought you might just chime in Ambassador .  How about +1

5 hours ago, Mysonis55 said:

If the Cardinals defense was forcing the UC mistakes I would agree with your position wholeheartedly. Mayfield did adjust on defense in a way that UC didn't react to  but even then the ball moved. Bend but don't break usually only works when the other team is complicit in their own destruction. 

Edited by toinemac

3 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Y'all "bend don't break" is a very good philosophical defense for the regular season, but is it a very good strategy on defense come playoff time? 300 yards on defense, but gave up 0 points? Give yourself a pat on the back, but what happened if UC scored four touchdowns? Sometimes, teams get lucky and teams don't. Sometimes, the "bend don't break" defense doesn't bend on a Friday night, it just breaks. And if that happens in a playoff game, that stinks. 

Ok well if you think uc should had beat us or scored why dont you just tell your teams coach to add us to a schedule we wont back down and when our young me hear of this it might just double 41 we respect other teams once a running clock is in play we play to win not to embarrass. This pole isnt even about mayfield but if any team thinks there better than uc and think they can stop a team that put up 300 plus yards and keep them scoreless then prove it I bet you will be on the side line wanting it to end uc is a good team and they will not stop until final whistle. And if your team is all that why are you not on grid iron glory until you play uc they will win the state title mark my words down. It kills me to see fans and polls put down a team cause of one game that don't matter pride was the only thing won or lost in this game. Some say ky football is weak well play the team that they played and you will have a different opinion also. Hands in the air shakes my head stop looking at the score look at the yardage first downs and other stats before you think you can beat UNION CITY TORNADOES 

Ambassador, thanks for further helping my belief. That 2009 Trousdale team you mentioned. Look on their schedule and see who they were beaten by. That was a year that we didn't even win state. Plus, there has been several years where Milan played for a state title after getting pushed around by the Cards in their scrimmages. 

The statement about the the bend but not break defense working in playoffs shows you haven't been reading. I noted 3 instances in state championships since 2010 in which it did just that. One of those games the Cards were out gained even and still won. That's at the highest level of the playoffs.