Alcoa travels to Indian Country

BCsportsfan

13 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

I feel pretty good about Greeneville making it too Cookeville this year.

The thing that concerns me is keeping people healthy.One or two players can make a big difference and depth is something I'll preach until the season ends.There are some strong teams out there and if you don't show up to play,just ask the VOLS what could happen.Today didn't change my mind about Butch,that's for sure.

Funny how things have changed in the past five years in Kingsport. Talk around town after losing to Alcoa has been "hey we almost beat Alcoa" or along those lines. Five years ago fans would of been disappointed, angry, upset etc. They would of expected to win that game. Now they get excited about almost winning. Every single person I've heard talking about the game has brought up the "interference call". Looks like people are in the denial stages right now. Give it five more years (if football is still allowed to be played in America) and our football program will mirror Volunteer's. We'll expect to lose and be okay with it. 

Alcoa fans, don't think this is a dig against you or your program. Everybody knows Alcoa is not your everyday 3A program and can play with and beat just about any 5A OR 6A team (well except Maryville).  But lets put things in perspective. This year Alcoa is considered to be down a little and has a very young team. Also I thought Alcoa didn't play their best ball Friday night and DB had their best game of the season. On the other hand DB is a mostly senior team with a lot of very good players. As 9th graders most people "in the know" though this group would be a state contender. Can't blame it on the talent anymore. The obvious is obvious. We're going to have give our coaching staff a big raise and build a brand new stadium.

17 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Funny how things have changed in the past five years in Kingsport. Talk around town after losing to Alcoa has been "hey we almost beat Alcoa" or along those lines. Five years ago fans would of been disappointed, angry, upset etc. They would of expected to win that game. Now they get excited about almost winning. Every single person I've heard talking about the game has brought up the "interference call". Looks like people are in the denial stages right now. Give it five more years (if football is still allowed to be played in America) and our football program will mirror Volunteer's. We'll expect to lose and be okay with it. 

Alcoa fans, don't think this is a dig against you or your program. Everybody knows Alcoa is not your everyday 3A program and can play with and beat just about any 5A OR 6A team (well except Maryville).  But lets put things in perspective. This year Alcoa is considered to be down a little and has a very young team. Also I thought Alcoa didn't play their best ball Friday night and DB had their best game of the season. On the other hand DB is a mostly senior team with a lot of very good players. As 9th graders most people "in the know" though this group would be a state contender. Can't blame it on the talent anymore. The obvious is obvious. We're going to have give our coaching staff a big raise and build a brand new stadium.

I think I've said it before, but until ticket sales or season ticket sales start going way down, DB won't be making any coaching changes.  I'd say that if a coaching change did happen, instead of looking way out and about for a legitimate coach that could change a program, they'll go with young blood home grown, just need to steal him away from Crockett. Is that the right decision?  I'm sure you'll tell us.

So I heard this rumor from the SH fans.  If Clark calls it a day, S. Witten is who DB would really like to come over and take over the program.

Just now, formerblazer said:

I think I've said it before, but until ticket sales or season ticket sales start going way down, DB won't be making any coaching changes.  I'd say that if a coaching change did happen, instead of looking way out and about for a legitimate coach that could change a program, they'll go with young blood home grown, just need to steal him away from Crockett. Is that the right decision?  I'm sure you'll tell us.

So I heard this rumor from the SH fans.  If Clark calls it a day, S. Witten is who DB would really like to come over and take over the program.

My opinion.  No way does the "Good ole Boy" network bring in a outsider, S. Witten or any other. If Clark ever calls it a day.......we've been talking about this for ten years. "If" Clark ever does retire and they bring on Sensabaugh, most likely everyone on the staff stays. And that would be to the liking of the "Good ole Boys".  The coaching on the offensive side is not bad. The coaching on the defensive side is as bad as it gets. "My opinion" is Clark will probably cast the deciding vote on who his successor is. Sensabaugh can not be successful keeping the current staff on defense, but just like anyone else he would except that situation to become head coach at DB. 

So there........I told you.

Well,the people I taked to were more like UT fans last night,they were pssd about the loss.Nothing about the call ,just pssd about how DB had the better team and  f ing blew it again.Pretty much all I heard.Even the ones that had said over the last  year or two, DB just don't have the talent and they do the best with what they have.That always gets me started about why this and why that and that's just a Dumas thing to say.Myself,I've beat that  horse about strength and all that and think as for this year and that's all that counts for the seniors,let's get behind them and if they can play like friday night,their going to win some big games.Like Tennesse ,when the year is over ,drop back and punt or keep on keeping on,but in the time being hope this cluster can end greatly

2 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Well,the people I taked to were more like UT fans last night,they were pssd about the loss.Nothing about the call ,just pssd about how DB had the better team and  f ing blew it again.Pretty much all I heard.Even the ones that had said over the last  year or two, DB just don't have the talent and they do the best with what they have.That always gets me started about why this and why that and that's just a Dumas thing to say.Myself,I've beat that  horse about strength and all that and think as for this year and that's all that counts for the seniors,let's get behind them and if they can play like friday night,their going to win some big games.Like Tennesse ,when the year is over ,drop back and punt or keep on keeping on,but in the time being hope this cluster can end greatly

Rather than DB blowing it, Alcoa TOOK it. It's a 4 qtr game. That is all. Good luck to DB with the rest of your season. 

4 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

Rather than DB blowing it, Alcoa TOOK it. It's a 4 qtr game. That is all. Good luck to DB with the rest of your season. 

I agree.Yes Alcoa did and so did my Devils and SH to bigger extent.If you can't adjust when big "mo" turns on you ,your going to be in trouble most of the time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BatmanDevil said:

I agree.Yes Alcoa did and so did my Devils and SH to bigger extent.If you can't adjust when big "mo" turns on you ,your going to be in trouble most of the time.

No defense. I'll keep saying it until the cows come home.  Clark can't coach in a tight game 99.9% of the time. He has to have a good defense to bail him out. That's what Watson did. Watson made Clark.  Every body knows it. Until they hire a decent/good defensive coordinator DB will continue to have .500 seasons. That's just the truth. Sorry if I offended any blue hairs.

5 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Honestly, Clark has the entire backfield and several linemen coming back.  I would expect him to stay one more year, and see that group through, and then step down.  But who knows.  I know Witten threw a tantrum during the scrimmage this year at DB, and it culminated in he and GClark having words.  That didn't help his chances for the future.  One of the Sevier County posters made reference a few months ago to missing the boat when they did not hire SWitten.  Evidently , he was an option there.  Must be open to leaving the Cyclone city.   Also, Wittens Junior group is his best, so that may be a good time for him to exit.  The Greenville, Eliz, SH, and DB junior classes have battled since the fourth grade.  Big drop off after that I would expect....

Edited by johndeere