Crockett football team not allowed to practice, Coach Sensabaugh under fire

blazer1set

6 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Most of those funding increases have gone to technology and testing/test prep programs.

In the 90s, the internet was just getting started and schools were lucky to have one computer in a classroom.  Now the push is to install massive labs and provide each kid with a computer to use throughout the day, as well as expensive educational software for it.  That eats up a ton of cash.

The standardized testing focus has been part of that, too, as many of them are now done online.  Then there are all the rest prep materials fo buy, instructional coaches to hire to try to raise test scores, expensive consultants to hire to do workshops to raise scores, etc.  Testing is a behemoth that siphons finding away from textbooks and pulls class time away from extracurriculars and arts classes.  Much of the "corruption" you find in education is related to the test industry at the state and federal level in some way.

Teachers, staff, and administrator pay has also gone up since the 90's.  Beginning pay has probably increased by 6k per person, which means every teacher in the county is getting paid 6000 more per year, which probably takes up most of the 20%

1 minute ago, formerblazer said:

You can go and get a fairly detailed budget right now from any Central Office.  It is a government entity.  You won't get an itemized one, but you can see how pay is based, how much is set aside for things like insurance, building maintenance, technology purposes, general athletic funds, bus and transportation, etc.  It may already be on the Washington County website somewhere, but this is information anyone can get.  Biggest chunk of a school systems budget is personnel.

You can't get an itemized budget, and that is where the audit comes in. Knox County obviously publicizes their annual budget, but they don't itemize, which has led to some audits in the past few years.

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

Totally agree. I get that school systems needed to invest in technology, to some degree, but how much is really needed? My wife has taught in an elementary school classroom for about a decade, and after years of smartboards, computers, tablets, etc, she would much rather stick to textbooks, pencils, and paper. In her experience, technology has added very little to the quality of our education system. It's just a big distraction.

The testing behemoth is definitely a giant racket. But that's a story for another day.

Depends on how a school system is going to do invest and use the technology.  It sounds like your wife's county bought it just to buy it, which I agree with you.  But I'll disagree in that a true 1:1 county that is using it to enhance education beyond what everyone is used to and making true 24/7 learning environments are what places like Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol are pushing towards.

How much technology?  Enough technology so that you can figure out how 1400 students need to take computerized tests twice a year at Boone and Crockett.  Oh and sometimes it is just one test per student, sometimes two...etc.  7 Subjects.

Oh and you have 15 school days to do it.

Answer.  Lots

3 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

You can't get an itemized budget, and that is where the audit comes in. Knox County obviously publicizes their annual budget, but they don't itemize, which has led to some audits in the past few years.

I mean there is an itemized end of the year budget everywhere...oh it's there.  But yes with the audits and such.  Some budgets will get a little more detailed, but that won't tell you all the interesting things like 50 cans of paint for a football field or 50 packs of AAA batteries or 6000 to pay someone to teach an inservice.... fun things like that.

Just received horrible news! The almost full team practice yesterday is not so much today. There has been a lot of threats and idle threats go out toward the kids and the parents are in fear for their child's safety playing ball. I knew with the silly statement GS put out yesterday that he is just 24 hours from having the board reinstating him would scare the players. It did just that! Now all his intent is to completely ruin this season for them boys. He knows he will not get rehired and he is done. So, he's trying to drag everything and everyone down with him! What can we do for this team? My heart is broke right now for these kids.

21 minutes ago, Bucsback said:

Just received horrible news! The almost full team practice yesterday is not so much today. There has been a lot of threats and idle threats go out toward the kids and the parents are in fear for their child's safety playing ball. I knew with the silly statement GS put out yesterday that he is just 24 hours from having the board reinstating him would scare the players. It did just that! Now all his intent is to completely ruin this season for them boys. He knows he will not get rehired and he is done. So, he's trying to drag everything and everyone down with him! What can we do for this team? My heart is broke right now for these kids.

A community and student body threatening, public spotlight, drama, all lead by a rallying cry of "For the Community"

If all is true as you say, this is pretty pitiful not only on him but also the Jonesborough community is really a piece of crap.  This is why you aren't getting a new school first.

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

Depends on how a school system is going to do invest and use the technology.  It sounds like your wife's county bought it just to buy it, which I agree with you.  But I'll disagree in that a true 1:1 county that is using it to enhance education beyond what everyone is used to and making true 24/7 learning environments are what places like Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol are pushing towards.

How much technology?  Enough technology so that you can figure out how 1400 students need to take computerized tests twice a year at Boone and Crockett.  Oh and sometimes it is just one test per student, sometimes two...etc.  7 Subjects.

Oh and you have 15 school days to do it.

Answer.  Lots

She teaches in west Knoxville. KCS has invested tons of money in technology upgrades over the past two decades, for a variety of reasons; an insane amount of testing/benchmarking is definitely one of those reasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennyPowers55 said:

Did I hear correctly that they only had 30 kids go to Cherokee last Friday before all this got started? If so, that should tell everyone something about how "loved" GS is. A school that size with only 30 kids on the sideline? Cloudland has 180 kids in the entire school and has over 40 kids on their team. 

I wonder if he is old school and only dresses 10-12?  Could be a reason.  Even as down as Crockett and Boone have been in years past, I can always remember 60-70 kids in the entire program.

15 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I wonder if he is old school and only dresses 10-12?  Could be a reason.  Even as down as Crockett and Boone have been in years past, I can always remember 60-70 kids in the entire program.

They had close to 60 if not over 60 at the first of fall practice. Kids just started quitting all the way up to 4 weeks ago. I think they had 34 dressed on the sideline at Cherokee. I seen one of there more well known players at Micky D's a little while ago. Bless his heart, he said as along as they got 11 they are playing Friday. He says that their offense is intact and will have to make a lot of adjustments on D. But he plans on winning Friday. Felt good to hear a young man with a direction and goal during all of this BS. He said he is a Football Player not an activist!  Maybe we all on Coach T should show up to support the players on the field Friday!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bucsback said:

They had close to 60 if not over 60 at the first of fall practice. Kids just started quitting all the way up to 4 weeks ago. I think they had 34 dressed on the sideline at Cherokee. I seen one of there more well known players at Micky D's a little while ago. Bless his heart, he said as along as they got 11 they are playing Friday. He says that their offense is intact and will have to make a lot of adjustments on D. But he plans on winning Friday. Felt good to hear a young man with a direction and goal during all of this BS. He said he is a Football Player not an activist!  Maybe we all on Coach T should show up to support the players on the field Friday!

I want them to play.  I hate for any kid to miss out on the 40  (hopefully more) games they will get in high school.  I think like only 13% of all high school athletes go on to the next level, so for almost everyone, this is their show.  

After doing a little reading on WCYB, the interim coach stated they had 20 odd people still ready to roll, but if we have even less than that now, idk what will happen Friday.  Tough situation for the kids.