Crockett football team not allowed to practice, Coach Sensabaugh under fire

blazer1set

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Maybe this is old news....  there are now 3 Crockett employees on leave

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Education/2017/10/11/Three-Crockett-employees-on-leave-accusation-keep-coming.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p

DAVID CROCKETT HIGH SCHOOL 

Three Crockett employees on leave, accusation keep coming

NATHAN BAKER • UPDATED OCT 11, 2017 AT 11:24 PM

With multiple employees on administrative leave and accusations still flying, Washington County Schools will hire an independent attorney to sort out a mess in the athletics department at David Crockett High School........

Somewhat news, I thought the money person had already been let go... at least GS posted that a few weeks ago.  Unless it was someone else.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Maybe this is old news....  there are now 3 Crockett employees on leave

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Education/2017/10/11/Three-Crockett-employees-on-leave-accusation-keep-coming.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p

DAVID CROCKETT HIGH SCHOOL 

Three Crockett employees on leave, accusation keep coming

NATHAN BAKER • UPDATED OCT 11, 2017 AT 11:24 PM

With multiple employees on administrative leave and accusations still flying, Washington County Schools will hire an independent attorney to sort out a mess in the athletics department at David Crockett High School........

GS said he got the money person fired on his Facebook.  I wonder who the other suspension is.  We have GS and the AD named, but the article doesn't say who the third person is.

This whole thing has gone beyond the realm of farce.  GS seems to be mentally ill at this point.  Telling his supporters he had the support of the school board and would be reinstated immediately, only for the the chairperson to publicly say that decision is out of the board's hands shows there is clearly something wrong with his mental state.

7 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

GS said he got the money person fired on his Facebook.  I wonder who the other suspension is.  We have GS and the AD named, but the article doesn't say who the third person is.

This whole thing has gone beyond the realm of farce.  GS seems to be mentally ill at this point.  Telling his supporters he had the support of the school board and would be reinstated immediately, only for the the chairperson to publicly say that decision is out of the board's hands shows there is clearly something wrong with his mental state.

I feel like there was a way that GS could have been looking a lot better had he handled things differently.  If he really wanted to destroy the good ol boy network, he could have started pointing out all the families in power who have buddies in power and then all the teachers who have been fired or lost their position to make a spot ready for a family or friend....I am apt to believe it was a farce in getting the indefinite suspension on the medical note.... but ONLY if that note said the athlete can not participate at all.  The combo of the cussing, note, social media, and then crazy behavior right before the pregame meal tells me that dude needs to go.  Forget about the "change" he was wanting to bring, I think it's just gotten lost in a whole bunch of drama.

Will be surprised if more heads aren't lost in this whole deal, including administrators.

7 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

It's all part of intimidating kids so they will not practice or play. The kids there are absolutely scared to death of him. I am ashamed of some of the parents that are turning a blind eye!? OK, say he had 100 kids supporting him and 200 parents. IMO if only ONE kid's safety is at stake then he should be gone! Don't understand the protest.

1 minute ago, Bucsback said:

It's all part of intimidating kids so they will not practice or play. The kids there are absolutely scared to death of him. I am ashamed of some of the parents that are turning a blind eye!? OK, say he had 100 kids supporting him and 200 parents. IMO if only ONE kid's safety is at stake then he should be gone! Don't understand the protest.

"The powers that be have rigged the system and are keeping you down, it's time for change"

Doesn't that sound familiar?  People love that line, it's like you could get a reality TV star elected president with that line.

I could understand them protesting a system that isn't working and it's easy to see they need some changes, but they are protesting for the guy who is in the wrong, but they love him saying "I'm fighting for positive change" when they really have no idea what that change is, they just like that he is going against their local school system.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

The school board will absolutely love to be given more money to be spread around the county.  They aren't in charge of getting more money, that is up to the county commission.  If they want a new Jonesborough Elementary, no prisoners free labor, brand new state of the art facilities, classrooms and schools that are equal to Johnson City, then everyone should just go ahead and say yes they want their taxes raised.  That's the only way that this will happen.  What will surprise people even more is that about 43% of the taxes increased that are allocated specifically for education will go to Johnson City, giving them even more money.  Sullivan County is the same way, so are all the counties that aren't a metro county.  The upgrades that he wants can't even be answered by the WCBoE, so he might as well be yelling into the sky because the county commission is the one that can vote for more funds more taxes.... but apparently a lot of people don't know how a school system operates.

I agree with most of this. Although I would argue that GS could call for a BoE audit, if they really wanted to create some financial transparency. If we looked at school board budgets from the 1990s and compared them directly to 2017, you'd see a substantial increase in funding, but how/where were those dollars distributed and did it actually improve the quality of education? Throwing gobs of money at something like public education isn't a cure all. It only works if the money is allocated properly, and the "good ol' boy" network can certainly make that challenging.

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bucsback said:

They're star struck by the NFL pedigree and the "drain the swamp" posturing.

Parents and kids really think "playing for an NFL player will lead to becoming an NFL player.

"Drain the swamp" is always a great line.  It works every time.  You don't even need to really know what you're talking about because it just sounds true and people like someone who's fighting for them.

His first "letter of guidance" has been released where GS is quoted as screaming at his director of schools and principal that "Crockett is full of neanderthals."  He also had Facebook posts where he talked about how the people in Jonesborough were stupid and "just don't know anything."

People need to see that he's just using them and their kids to feed his own ego, but they're swept up in the drama now, too.

Next week's school board meeting will be circus.  They were going to talk about a new school for Jonesborough even as they're talking about shutting down some of the smaller community schools due to declining enrollment.  GS's tirades can only push those numbers down further.

2 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I agree with most of this. Although I would argue that GS could call for a BoE audit, if they really wanted to create some financial transparency. If we looked at school board budgets from the 1990s and compared them directly to 2017, you'd see a substantial increase in funding, but how/where were those dollars distributed and did it actually improve the quality of education? Throwing gobs of money at something like public education isn't a cure all. It only works if the money is allocated properly, and the "good ol' boy" network can certainly make that challenging.

Most of those funding increases have gone to technology and testing/test prep programs.

In the 90s, the internet was just getting started and schools were lucky to have one computer in a classroom.  Now the push is to install massive labs and provide each kid with a computer to use throughout the day, as well as expensive educational software for it.  That eats up a ton of cash.

The standardized testing focus has been part of that, too, as many of them are now done online.  Then there are all the rest prep materials fo buy, instructional coaches to hire to try to raise test scores, expensive consultants to hire to do workshops to raise scores, etc.  Testing is a behemoth that siphons finding away from textbooks and pulls class time away from extracurriculars and arts classes.  Much of the "corruption" you find in education is related to the test industry at the state and federal level in some way.

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

You can go and get a fairly detailed budget right now from any Central Office.  It is a government entity.  You won't get an itemized one, but you can see how pay is based, how much is set aside for things like insurance, building maintenance, technology purposes, general athletic funds, bus and transportation, etc.  It may already be on the Washington County website somewhere, but this is information anyone can get.  Biggest chunk of a school systems budget is personnel.

2 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Most of those funding increases have gone to technology and testing/test prep programs.

In the 90s, the internet was just getting started and schools were lucky to have one computer in a classroom.  Now the push is to install massive labs and provide each kid with a computer to use throughout the day, as well as expensive educational software for it.  That eats up a ton of cash.

The standardized testing focus has been part of that, too, as many of them are now done online.  Then there are all the rest prep materials fo buy, instructional coaches to hire to try to raise test scores, expensive consultants to hire to do workshops to raise scores, etc.  Testing is a behemoth that siphons finding away from textbooks and pulls class time away from extracurriculars and arts classes.  Much of the "corruption" you find in education is related to the test industry at the state and federal level in some way.

Totally agree. I get that school systems needed to invest in technology, to some degree, but how much is really needed? My wife has taught in an elementary school classroom for about a decade, and after years of smartboards, computers, tablets, etc, she would much rather stick to textbooks, pencils, and paper. In her experience, technology has added very little to the quality of our education system. It's just a big distraction.

The testing behemoth is definitely a giant racket. But that's a story for another day.