Boone vs. Crockett - The Musket Bowl

formerblazer

1 hour ago, Tribal said:

Pretty funny interview with the Lingerfelt guy on the news last night.  Acted like he had no idea who appointed him interim coach or whether it was even official, and as far as the controversy GS had stoked he said something somewhat positive about GS and then said, "well, I've got to put food on my table, and I know who signs my paycheck, so that's my stance on that."  It was pretty obvious he has zero interest in coaching the football team, so I'm not sure how that's going to work, but it's only two games I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's really going to be Kent Green and some of his old assistants, plus one holdover from the GS staff, actually handling the coaching.  Lingerfelt's role is to be a non-controversial figurehead who's in the building with the kids and can smooth things over for the next couple of weeks.

It's going to be interesting how they manage things the rest of the year.  Only one of the new coaches actually knows the systems they were running on either side of the ball, but you can't just put a new offense or defense in with 2-3 games left.

Things seem to be settling down a little.  The comments ripping Green and his buddies on Twitter don't seem to have gotten any traction.  People must just be fed up with the drama.  The more GS rants and raves and throws people under the bus, the more he alienates the kids and parents who supported him.

18 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

The director of schools personally fired the last interim guy for telling players they might have won if a bunch of them hadn't skipped practice to protest, which upset a bunch of people and nearly started a riot.

Wow, must really suck getting canned for being truthful and telling it like it is.

Well JC Press picks Boone to win by 10, which is a pretty safe bet.  Boone can score and has a pretty tough D against conference teams (we won't discuss Science Hill) but Crockett can score... but has been really weak on D against conference teams.  A few stops and take advantages by Boone should put them in the drivers seat on Friday.

22 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Boone vs Crockett?  Dan killed a bear when he was three and Dave got killed by Mexicans. 

No prediction just wanted to post some random thoughts that mean positively absolutely totally nothing. Now you all know what Oak Ridge posters have to deal with.

Look forward to this same message next season.

Crockett or Boone could potentially meet you guys in the playoffs.    We need to play out the games this week to get a better idea of the playoff picture

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Boone vs Crockett?  Dan killed a bear when he was three and Dave got killed by Mexicans. 

No prediction just wanted to post some random thoughts that mean positively absolutely totally nothing. Now you all know what Oak Ridge posters have to deal with.

Look forward to this same message next season.

You know what..... this may be the most meaningful post over the past week.

we salute you good sir, and wish you luck in the Manhattan project in defeating the nazis 

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

It's funny that the comments on the TMZ story are mostly anti-GS.  I actually listened and looked at every bit of the "evidence" that he posted to make sure that I was being fair to him and had the whole story.

In some ways, it makes me feel more sympathetic towards the guy, which is what his "leaks" were designed to do.  Crockett is a tough place to coach, and it looks like he was led to believe he'd get certain things that he didn't and had to deal with more BS than would normally be expected of a HS coach.  That's part of coaching (or teaching) in a rural school like DCHS, but it's a very unpleasant part.  I think that he really did have his heart in the right place on some of the things he was speaking out about.

However, that same material still shows me that he just doesn't understand a lot of very basic legal issues regarding education, school funding, school zoning, and school employment.  Just because other teachers, who could check permission slips, posted pics of kids doesn't mean he had permission to do so for all the ones there.  It's possible one single kid in those photos might not have had a permission slip (or if it was a Special Ed. class and posting those pics reveals which kids are in Special Ed, that's another issue), so if one parent got upset about one single kid's face in those pics, that's a lawsuit.  If GS had went and covered or blurred the faces of the kids in those pics, he'd have a stronger case, but he didn't.

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt he has a leg to stand on in any lawsuit since he was an at-will employee who could be suspended and/or fired by the director at any time for any reason, per his contract.  Hiring a law firm to investigate is a lot more than a typical non-faculty coach would get, and GS's admitted and demonstrated insubordination would serve as plenty of cause to can him.

GS might hope to go after them for slander or libel, but that will be exceptionally hard to prove based on everything I've seen.  The school district may actually wind up suing him for the same thing and they'd have a lot more stuff to point at as evidence.  I can't see a lawyer taking this case unless he's just trying to use it for publicity.

The texts he leaked showed the trainer was worried and disagreed with GS having that kid run cone drills.  GS might not consider that "practice," but legally if there's a note from a doctor or trainer saying he needs to avoid activity like that, legally he has to.  The whole dispute is over what "practice" means (or at least what that note said he could and could not do) and whether cone drills and sprints count.  A case could be made that they do.

Just because the principal and director were respectful to him via text right up until he got suspended doesn't mean they didn't get on him, but his supporters don't seem to get that.  If anything, it seems like the director was trying to keep him in the fold for publicity and political reasons right up until he torched his bridges beyond repair.

Then he released a video of the kid who said GS made him practice in violation of the doctor's note dunking a basketball, which is going after the kid and identifying him to GS's legion of irate fans on facebook.  The kid's parents may now have a legal case against GS, too.

As bad as this is, it looks like the people in Jonesborough are just fed up and ready to move on.  By coming out to play for 2 different coaches in 2 weeks, the kids have shown they just want to play football and be high school kids.  None of the adults looks good here on either side.

Edited by BlueDevil58

59 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

It's funny that the comments on the TMZ story are mostly anti-GS.  I actually listened and looked at every bit of the "evidence" that he posted to make sure that I was being fair to him and had the whole story.

In some ways, it makes me feel more sympathetic towards the guy, which is what his "leaks" were designed to do.  Crockett is a tough place to coach, and it looks like he was led to believe he'd get certain things that he didn't and had to deal with more BS than would normally be expected of a HS coach.  That's part of coaching (or teaching) in a rural school like DCHS, but it's a very unpleasant part.  I think that he really did have his heart in the right place on some of the things he was speaking out about.

However, that same material still shows me that he just doesn't understand a lot of very basic legal issues regarding education, school funding, school zoning, and school employment.  Just because other teachers, who could check permission slips, posted pics of kids doesn't mean he had permission to do so for all the ones there.  It's possible one single kid in those photos might not have had a permission slip (or if it was a Special Ed. class and posting those pics reveals which kids are in Special Ed, that's another issue), so if one parent got upset about one single kid's face in those pics, that's a lawsuit.  If GS had went and covered or blurred the faces of the kids in those pics, he'd have a stronger case, but he didn't.

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt he has a leg to stand on in any lawsuit since he was an at-will employee who could be suspended and/or fired by the director at any time for any reason, per his contract.  Hiring a law firm to investigate is a lot more than a typical non-faculty coach would get, and GS's admitted and demonstrated insubordination would serve as plenty of cause to can him.

GS might hope to go after them for slander or libel, but that will be exceptionally hard to prove based on everything I've seen.  The school district may actually wind up suing him for the same thing and they'd have a lot more stuff to point at as evidence.  I can't see a lawyer taking this case unless he's just trying to use it for publicity.

The texts he leaked showed the trainer was worried and disagreed with GS having that kid run cone drills.  GS might not consider that "practice," but legally if there's a note from a doctor or trainer saying he needs to avoid activity like that, legally he has to.  The whole dispute is over what "practice" means (or at least what that note said he could and could not do) and whether cone drills and sprints count.  A case could be made that they do.

Just because the principal and director were respectful to him via text right up until he got suspended doesn't mean they didn't get on him, but his supporters don't seem to get that.  If anything, it seems like the director was trying to keep him in the fold for publicity and political reasons right up until he torched his bridges beyond repair.

Then he released a video of the kid who said GS made him practice in violation of the doctor's note dunking a basketball, which is going after the kid and identifying him to GS's legion of irate fans on facebook.  The kid's parents may now have a legal case against GS, too.

As bad as this is, it looks like the people in Jonesborough are just fed up and ready to move on.  By coming out to play for 2 different coaches in 2 weeks, the kids have shown they just want to play football and be high school kids.  None of the adults looks good here on either side.

From what I did watch, there are a few things there that will keep GS from getting a Penny.  The phrase “”Fire me or deal with it” doesn’t look good on him, because it’s showing him antagonizing his administrators.  He does show some want to change, but the director or principal is right, nothing can happen over night.  Reading the comments, people keep saying “tear down school abc and build a new one.”  From what we’ve seen lately, it takes 49 million to build an elementary or middle school and it takes 80 million to build a new high school.   The aging buildings in the county would be JES BCMS Fall Branch Sulphur Springs, South central, West View..... Boone and Crockett just got renovations 10 years ago, so they aren’t on the slate for new schools anytime soon.  If people wanted fixed what they say they want, I could easily see 500 million needed to “fix” structures in the school system.  It’s not happening.

lets say GS does have a case, he sues.... I don’t imagine it could be rewarded a ton, but let’s say a million for giggles.  That’s enough to fund teachers, supplies, assistant teachers, multiple foxes to structures... and that’s money people in the county will be paying for.  He’s not going to turn around and give that money back to the system, he is going to laugh all the way to the bank at WC.

as for the leaks, you can construe that he did leak the texts, but unless there were cell phone records, everything was posted by that other guy on social media, so technically GS didn’t leak anything.  WC schools didn’t either, they announced he was suspended but GS showed that letter to the press, not the school system.

drama.  BTW Boone wins tomorrow.

• Like 1

He might find a publicity seeking lawyer to file a suit to promote himself/herself, but that's about it.  He has no claim for wrongful termination because he was an employee at will, and not only is a defamation claim subject to a very high standard of proof for a public figure (basically he would have to prove the school system knew the things they said were false and published them anyway), but he's the one who published all the alleged defamation by releasing the letters to the media and spreading them around everywhere!  Good luck with that.

• Like 1

The screenshots of his phone, to me, show that he had to leak those print outs himself.  Especially since he talked to the guy who was the same dude who leaked the recorded conversation and also put together his rally.  It's not hard to see what happened, regardless of the legalities.

You're absolutely right that there's no way on earth that the schools could reasonably  do everything, or even most of the things, GS was demanding (and trying to "force"--his own word in those texts) from them, but people want that pie in the sky and think the schools system is some kind of satanic conspiracy, apparently.  Antagonizing your bosses when told "no" (or even just told "we have to work on this," which is mostly what Halliburton's texts amounted to) makes it pretty open and shut why he was justifiably fired.

The level of cognitive dissonance required to demand the schools magically cough up hundreds of millions of dollars immediately because he tells them to (or else...) because "the kids need it" and then telling people to not support the schools by suing them and taking away more of their funding (to give to a guy who already has millions) is insane.

He's got the rabble riled up now, though.  He's even taken some shots at Lingerfelt.  We'll see how much of a circus the school board meeting is tonight.  Who knows how long this will last or even how many of those "supporters" he has online actually have kids in the system or even live in Washington Co.

In the meantime, I support both teams.  I think Boone wins by at least 21, but I also think that Jenkins will try to take it easy on Crockett in light of all that's happened.