AFTER 4 LOSING SEASON SHOULD A SCHOOL OF 2000 STUDENT BE ABLE TO OPT OUT OF REGION IN FOOTBALL

riots

TRUE i COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH ANYTHING ANYONE POST ON THIS SUBJECT, BUT WHAT SO AMAZING IS THE SAME PEOPLE DON'T STICK TO THEIR COURSE OF THINKING, ITS OK FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS TO GET THE heck BEAT OUT OF THEM FOR 4 STRAIGHT YEARS, SOME KIDS SO USED TO LOSING THEY DON'T EVEN SHOW EMOTION

BUT SOME OF YOU WITH THAT SAME ATTITUDE WANT Butch JONES FIRED RIGHT NOW DOUBLE STANDARD, BUT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A LOSER TOO, JUST SAYING

THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING TO SCHOOLS WITH LARGE ENROLLMENT 4YRS AND YOU CANT GET TO .500 SOME LONGER THAN THAT

Okay.

Why is this question being posted only for large schools? Do the kids at the smaller schools not matter as much since that seems to be the concern.

You made some mention of it being okay for Republic High School to be in region 3 6A and lose by 50 every week? They are in 1A in one of the worst top to bottom regions in the smallest classification and still couldn't win a game. They played Red Boiling Springs, Pickett County and Glencliff etc.

The bottom line is that in sports and in life somebody has to be at the bottom. That is just how it works. Is it unfair? Absolutely. But that fact very much mirrors life. In order for somebody to be rich a bunch of other people have to be poor.

There is more to school than just football anyways.... Some kids are getting a better education at these schools that aren't good at football. Some of them get to play on better basketball or baseball programs. Etc.

Another thing is that you have non-region games and can schedule your opponents. If you are struggling then you need to schedule some opponents that are on your level even if that means going down in classification. In most regions you are gonna have 4-5 non-region games. You might have to do that in order to get kids to buy into the program because nobody wants to lose every week especially in a sport like football where you are getting pushed around every week. Football is one of the hardest sports to lose because you feel it both mentally and physically.

Exactly what are we talking about in terms of opting out or moving down? How bad must a team be and does a team have to move up to take their spot? Because then that isn't fair for the team having to move up.

Lets take Antioch as an example. They have won just 7 games the last 4 years. So would this propose moving them from region 5 in 6A down to region 5 in 5A? Would they do that much better?

Because Antioch played 5A Page this year. Page is currently 6-3 and probably will finish as the 4 seed in that region. They beat Antioch 36-0. White County is the only team in that region that I could sit here and say that Antioch would beat outright. They wouldn't make the playoffs. Instead of winning 0 region games they might win 1 or 2.

The other thing is that when these regions are made location is kept in mind as well. Teams opting out would throw things out of whack as well.

One of the only arguments that I could see for this being a good thing would be in open enrollment areas. Because open enrollment in areas like Blount County pretty much guarantees that schools like Maryville and Alcoa are always gonna be better because the top kids just transfer to those schools.

No, absolutely not. We have 6 Division 1 Classifications and 3 Division II classifications right now. 9 State Championship Gold Balls are played for every year. The top 4 from every region go to the playoffs.

Let's do some math.  

8 Regions at each classification, Top 4 Playoffs, 6 Classification in Division 1. 

8 x 4 = 32

32 x 6 = 192 teams in the playoffs come round 1 in Division 1!!!

There are currently 297 High Schools participating in Division 1

192/297 = .646

.646 x 100 = 64.6%

or Approximatley 65% of the schools that play Division 1 get in the playoffs.... This is more than fair. 

Let's not count the fact there are 43 playoff spots for the 3 Division II classifications. 

If your schools is going 0-10, 1-9 season after season after season. Then schedule 4-5 non-conference games you can win. Or drop out of TSSAA play independent and schedule 8-10 cupcake games that you can win. Build your program up and reenter TSSAA.

Hey, look at what Kerr is doing at Union County. There were 3 teams on that schedule that Kerr knew he could beat and the kids over there are having the time of their life. Attendance and everything is way up. They have new uniforms. Union County won not counting this year won like maybe 5 games since 2012. Am I saying they are going to be playoff contenders in a couple years... No, I'm not saying that but part of rebuilding or building a struggling program is making sure you as a coach schedule teams that you can have success about build a little buzz and excitement and get other kids to come out. Who knows maybe in 2-3 years Kerr takes union county to a 4th seed playoff spot. I know one thing Union County is NOT doing right now. Taking a defeatist attitude and asking to move down. 

Edited by haweanbula

really I don't think there is no wrong way,or right way to answer that question. because opinion are mixed. no matter how many variation we come up with.

at the end of the day we become bias, toward the coach that keep losing the games,, , that's says you do care about losing,,, he the one who get paid to win or coach the team to victories, its not about always having a winning seasons. its more about being able to compete . if you have a 4-6 or a .500 season that's some progress

But i see where someone said Warren Co. has 28 losing seasons in a row, if you don't think that's a broken system for a town and student body of that size think again, those people have just accepted not having  a winning season as an only option.  and look forward to losing.

Losing seasons, not necessarily, some teams can have some bad luck or be in a good region and drop to 4-6, but maybe if there are four or five seasons of winning few games they could be moved down one class. Cannon would be the example in this region. If they go down to 2A and still don't win, go down to 1A. If they don't win in 1A opt out of region play or reconsider the need for a program.

Once they hit .500 in either of two seasons moved down, they move back up a class.

Edited by Indian

2 hours ago, riots said:

really I don't think there is no wrong way,or right way to answer that question. because opinion are mixed. no matter how many variation we come up with.

at the end of the day we become bias, toward the coach that keep losing the games,, , that's says you do care about losing,,, he the one who get paid to win or coach the team to victories, its not about always having a winning seasons. its more about being able to compete . if you have a 4-6 or a .500 season that's some progress

But i see where someone said Warren Co. has 28 losing seasons in a row, if you don't think that's a broken system for a town and student body of that size think again, those people have just accepted not having  a winning season as an only option.  and look forward to losing.

Opinions are not mixed!   You're the only one on this entire thread thinking that way!    I agree with the poster who said this is a stupid topic.   Why am I even responding to it??   That's the question of the day, folks......:shock:

Edited by FreeAgent11
  • Like 1