AFTER 4 LOSING SEASON SHOULD A SCHOOL OF 2000 STUDENT BE ABLE TO OPT OUT OF REGION IN FOOTBALL

riots

A couple thoughts:

This is a major problem with our society. "Everyone needs a chance". Everyone has a chance. A chance to work harder. A chance to be more committed. A chance to build a program. A chance to make a change within the coaching staff, administration, support system, etc. 

What do we teach kids by doing this? You don't have to work harder and try to better yourself, just wait for the system to give you a better situation. Don't better yourself. Good lesson. 

This is a ridiculous question to even pose. 

7 minutes ago, eers said:

A couple thoughts:

This is a major problem with our society. "Everyone needs a chance". Everyone has a chance. A chance to work harder. A chance to be more committed. A chance to build a program. A chance to make a change within the coaching staff, administration, support system, etc. 

What do we teach kids by doing this? You don't have to work harder and try to better yourself, just wait for the system to give you a better situation. Don't better yourself. Good lesson. 

This is a ridiculous question to even pose. 

Okay, then schedule your team vs Maryville, MBA, Oakland, and Brentwood Academy every week. Crazy, no, just work harder. The point is, with so many blowouts and some teams not getting better over periods of time, there may be a better way of classifying some teams than simple enrollment, at least temporarily.

46 minutes ago, Indian said:

Okay, then schedule your team vs Maryville, MBA, Oakland, and Brentwood Academy every week. Crazy, no, just work harder. The point is, with so many blowouts and some teams not getting better over periods of time, there may be a better way of classifying some teams than simple enrollment, at least temporarily.

Ummm... is that who your team plays every week? If so, fire the AD he's an idiot. 

It's a systematic problem that can be fixed. It just takes the right combination of people. Lebanon this year may be a good example. Several tried and no success. This year they beat some teams and made the playoffs. Was it a fluke or a change of culture? Time will tell I suppose. 

I saw someone post Portland in a previous post. The team I saw should not have a 2-8 record. No reason they aren't a playoff team or at least 5-5/6-4. 

Sometimes it's the jimmys and the joes. Sometimes it's the coach. Sometimes it's even bigger than that. Regardless, it can be fixed. Not overnight, but it can be. High School sports are meant to teach life lessons and pretending everything should be fair and how everyone wants it has lead to many of the crisis we now have. 

Wrong solution. Yes, work harder. Kids. Coaches. Administration. Boosters. Community. 

Edited by eers
  • Like 1

This question seem s to be pointed in the wrong direction. It is very self serving, however I will address a couple of points. 

1. I will not allow my kids to play in a program that is not competitive. I will not raise  a child in a 100% losing environment. 

2. All regions are competitive, that is also why there are non region games. You can choose those opponents to help bolster your program

3. If you are losing all the time then I would take a look at your administration. I am talking about the ones that put these coaches in place. 

4. Athletes are not the problem. There are a lot of athletes in each and every school walking the hallways that don't even compete. To me, that is a coaching problem.

5. If you want to play winnng football, you have to develop a winning attitude before you ever play the game. 

Sometimes a person's best is just not good enough. People have to learn to live with that, and move on.

Having said that, the players should know that it perhaps takes more determination to show up for practices every day while still knowing that you'll likely lose again that Friday. The scenario is really much like life. People show up for work everyday and work their job to the best of their ability, with no real end-goal in sight (other than retirement). If you think about it, the players who lose every week may be better prepared for life than the one who were on a state championships caliber team every year.

19 hours ago, Indian said:

I agree, a tad, when you have a Wartburg at 5-44 the past five years in 2A, Cannon County 4-45 in 3A, Community 12-38 in 2A, Sullivan Central 6-43 in 4A, Sheffield 5-44 in 3A, Portland 8-43 in 4A. Give them the option to move down one class for two years, if they hit .500 either year they move back up. If they're still batting in the .200 range or worse they can move down again after two more years.

Yea but they day they go from 2-8 move down and make it to the state championship the next year. All h e double hockey sticks will break alose.

14 hours ago, eers said:

Ummm... is that who your team plays every week? If so, fire the AD he's an idiot. 

It's a systematic problem that can be fixed. It just takes the right combination of people. Lebanon this year may be a good example. Several tried and no success. This year they beat some teams and made the playoffs. Was it a fluke or a change of culture? Time will tell I suppose. 

I saw someone post Portland in a previous post. The team I saw should not have a 2-8 record. No reason they aren't a playoff team or at least 5-5/6-4. 

Sometimes it's the jimmys and the joes. Sometimes it's the coach. Sometimes it's even bigger than that. Regardless, it can be fixed. Not overnight, but it can be. High School sports are meant to teach life lessons and pretending everything should be fair and how everyone wants it has lead to many of the crisis we now have. 

Wrong solution. Yes, work harder. Kids. Coaches. Administration. Boosters. Community. 

I endorse this post!!

15 hours ago, Indian said:

No...there's not a better way than enrollment. Student population numbers represent the odds of a kid being athletic or not across the board. Everything else can be controlled, such as youth leagues, weight training, practice time, coach involvement and effort, ect...all things that improve programs even down to making the program appealing to students. Life is hard, and if you are to succeed you have to apply yourself...nothing in our society prepares kids as well as athletics to prosper after their education is done. Society is partly to blame...if I choose not to earn my own living, there are numerous government programs that will supply me with food, a place to live, healthcare, transportation...heck, even a mobile phone! if my grandfather didn't work, he and his family didn't eat. 

Scotts Hill's football program isn't ten years gone from a cow pasture with no lights and a JV schedule...we won two games a year for a while, but we (program and community) worked hard and gradually (at first then more quickly) got better. Numbers went from low twenty's to almost seventy players, playoff games came, new facilities...well you get the picture. This has been a rough season...schedule has been killer, we graduated most of our starters, and we replaced a great coach, but we don't want anything given! We will continue to work hard and get better, and our time will come. Success doesn't mean much if it isn't earned.