Quarterfinals: Marion County (7-5) at Tyner Academy (10-2)

steelcityroller

2 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

Thanks MVP. My first trip to Hartsville in 2013 I knew then that TC was a special place. With all the crap that was going on with former coaches vandalizing our field house and all the negative press our kids were getting it was a dark time for our program. I was at the field a couple hours before kickoff and a gray haired man who said he was supt. of schools ( I think he said his name was Satterfield but not sure) talked to me for a long time about it. He and along with other TC fans were the most gracious fans I believe I have ever been around. They genuinely seemed concerned for our kids and assured us that they would bounce back from adversity. It was hard to see at that time but they were right. That memory will always stay with me. TC should be proud of their program and the people surrounding it.

I like to think TC has some fine people in it. And that grey haired man is the legendary Clint Satterfield that Lead TC to 5 State Titles and had close to 250 wins as HC.

I was at that game as well (actually walked the MC sidelines much like i did this past weeks game). MC does it right. Outside of the random railbirds chirping (we all have those), I heard nothing but class. You could tell MC players and coaches knew they were in for a battle and even though they came out on top, they had much respect for the opponent. MC and TC have very similar traits and i like it. Go get that Gold!

• Upvote 1

From that Hargis man himself:

Marion County (7-5) at Tyner (10-2)

» That was then: The first meeting was Sept. 15 with Tyner rallying for three TDs in the final five minutes for a 37-28 win. The teams combined for 35 points in a wild fourth quarter, and by the end the Rams had outgained Marion 403-340 in total yards (a balanced 190 rushing, 214 passing). All-state defensive lineman Tracey Justice was a big reason for the late momentum shift as he helped shut down Marion's offense and helped Tyner outgain the Warriors 110 to minus-21 over the final three possessions.

Rams quarterback Jaylen Bowens was all over the field, finishing with 114 passing yards, 51 rushing and an interception on defense. That game was the springboard the Rams used to gain the confidence needed to believe they could play with anybody, and they have won seven straight games since that night.

» This is now: Jacob Saylors, who was named a state Mr. Football finalist earlier this week, has proven why he's one of the top two-way players in Tennessee over the past month by rushing for 200-plus yards in four of the past five games and intercepting four passes during that time. Although the Warriors have plenty of other weapons — including dual-threat QB Isaiah Sampson, receiver Kane Hale and running backs Seth McClain and Brett Nelson — when the game is on the line, expect Saylors to be the man with the ball in his hands.

Tyner is much tougher to defend because of the number of athletes who can make plays in space. It starts with Jeremy Elston, a 1,200-yard rusher, and includes quarterback Bowens (1,000-plus all-purpose) as well as burly fullback Tyon Young and speedy receiver/defensive back Jeremiah Batiste. Any of those guys are capable of changing a game's outlook on one play, but while the Rams offense is averaging 40-plus points, it's the defense that has been the biggest reason for the current run they're on, holding six of the last nine opponents to one score or fewer. Justice has 100-plus tackles, 25 for loss, and seems to always be disrupting plays in the backfield.

5 hours ago, TynerRamFan said:

Kickoff is less than 10 hours away...no poster, fan or prognosticator can win this game for you tonight!! My prayer is that no one gets seriously injured! Let's go "RAMS"!!

Tee-Fi...RamTrain!!

Too close to call.  Tyner can score quicker than anyone I’ve ever seen.  We are real familiar with Tyner and it’s always a good game.