Coach Morris is stepping down

SHHS87

47 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Covington does not run a typical W-T. If they have a replacement for #24 their offense will continue to have success. The counters and misdirection plus stretching  the field with the deep ball make it a great offense.

Yep he’ll be gone along with most of lineman on both sides of the ball . 

BPM, You should take a job as a public relations manager for a fortune 500 company. Not sure who he is  " tight " with on the committee but I know a few people as well and Woods absolutely was in the running for this vacancy. 

I hope Milan hires Butch Jones. He will make you sound really good and y'all will have great eye discipline but no substance when it really matters. ( I heard from a credible source he was being considered ) 

5 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

BPM, You should take a job as a public relations manager for a fortune 500 company. Not sure who he is  " tight " with on the committee but I know a few people as well and Woods absolutely was in the running for this vacancy. 

I hope Milan hires Butch Jones. He will make you sound really good and y'all will have great eye discipline but no substance when it really matters. ( I heard from a credible source he was being considered ) 

I have been around this school, community and program for a very long time. Sometimes it's just best not to argue. In this case it is pointless. Hopefully now that school is back in session they make an announcement soon. 

1 hour ago, SHHS87 said:

I heard coach Ward was offered but turned it down.  BPM, any truth to this?

It is true. He applied and interviewed but end up turning it down. The complete story is in this week's Milan Mirror. 

On another note, according to the article I wasn't mistaken regarding coaching supplement. I was very close. Hmm.....

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

It is true. He applied and interviewed but end up turning it down. The complete story is in this week's Milan Mirror. 

On another note, according to the article I wasn't mistaken regarding coaching supplement. I was very close. Hmm.....

I would think coach Ward turning down the offer stings the Milan faithful a little with him being from Milan.  BPM, after your response earlier, I read the Milan paper.  Sounds like they are being very conservative with the salary for the next coach.  If so, this may cost Milan and may have to settle for an assistant with no previous head coaching experience that is wanting to make a name for himself.  (and I am not saying an assistant coach, if hired,  would not win at Milan.....there are very good assistants out there that is very capable of winning)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SHHS87 said:

I would think coach Ward turning down the offer stings the Milan faithful a little with him being from Milan.  BPM, after your response earlier, I read the Milan paper.  Sounds like they are being very conservative with the salary for the next coach.  If so, this may cost Milan and may have to settle for an assistant with no previous head coaching experience that is wanting to make a name for himself.  (and I am not saying an assistant coach, if hired,  would not win at Milan.....there are very good assistants out there that is very capable of winning)

I would agree that it is a bit of a head scratcher. To me though the article was a little misleading according to salary. The quotes in the paper about some people might have to take a pay cut or the salary was low compared to other schools in the area was Milan administrations way of getting the school board to pay as much as possible. For starters they were having to add a position cause Morris is staying thru the end of his contract. The article quoted that the new position could cost up to $35000 and change. That seems low but realize that is only for 7 months. Now thru July. On top of that the new hire would receive a 7 months of the $10500 coaching supplement (about 6k) and some of the additional $7000 in supplement it said Morris was additionally receiving.  Total pay for the new hire could be as high as around $44000 for the next seven months. That's just over $80000 for a entire year. There are not many coaches in public schools in TN that make that much. 

16 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Also I think they are exhausting all possible avenues to make the correct decision. It shows the tradition of the school having so many people apply for the job. 

IMO....I don't think Milan would hire a current assistant coach....too high profile of a job to have someone with no HC experience...last count I heard there were 43 applicants...but then again...Morris had no head coaching experience when he was hired....and look what he did....

2 minutes ago, cofo said:

IMO....I don't think Milan would hire a current assistant coach....too high profile of a job to have someone with no HC experience...last count I heard there were 43 applicants...but then again...Morris had no head coaching experience when he was hired....and look what he did....

I heard the 43 count in the newspaper article a couple of weeks ago. The next week it was over 50. It is frustrating that this is dragging on and Ward did not accept. But there are plenty more and a lot of good ones. Everything will work out ok.