William blount offseason thread

6 minutes ago, GREYRIDERx said:

Bus riders and steak eaters...if it were easy everyone would play. Its about heart and dedication. The game of football has helped my boys in life, especially the MARYVILLE program. The game of football is a pure team sport they learn much about life and over coming adversity. Our sons will be better equipped to enter adulthood than others , for the most part. 

It helped me through life also, it just took me a few years after I got out to put the puzzle together. I'm very excited for your two youngest and can't wait to see them play this year. Glad to see them not follow the path other kids their age choose which is the lazy way out. Going to be a fun three years ahead.

It's time to play who will quit our favorite coach before the season is over. Please pick up cards at the concession stand during the Jamboree August 10 and fill out and turn in before leaving the game.  Winners can either choose between autographed plastic football by the Coach himself or you can attend next year's football banquet sometime in the middle of spring. Second prizes are an autographed air horn by the Coaches Wife.

2ex8ux5.jpg

Edited by BarneySox2007

1 hour ago, GREYRIDERx said:

Bus riders and steak eaters...if it were easy everyone would play. Its about heart and dedication. The game of football has helped my boys in life, especially the MARYVILLE program. The game of football is a pure team sport they learn much about life and over coming adversity. Our sons will be better equipped to enter adulthood than others , for the most part. 

AMEN!

On 7/31/2018 at 11:37 AM, cbg said:

The damage has already been done and parents are not allowing their boy's to participate in football due to head injuries.  As long as you have kids getting concussions due to football injuries the participation rates will continue to decline.  The parents are not going to do any R & D and will allow the media to dictate the agenda.  If a helmet is ever developed that will significantly reduce head injuries you very well could see the participation numbers rise once again.  IMO, the horse has left the barn and it will be extremely difficult to reverse to the trend of kids not playing football.  

From my long term experience I make this broad observation:  The lazy kids and the enabling parents of those kids will kill football long before CTE concerns does.  Football is hard work and our youth don't like hard work.  They stay indoors and play games that require much less energy.  It's almost across the board that the number youth participants in organized sports (that require physical effort) is down and falling.  And since football generally requires the most effort and time, it's falling faster than most.  It's not just football and CTE.

Edited by OldRebel2

19 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

From my long term experience I make this broad observation:  The lazy kids and the enabling parents of those kids will kill football long before CTE concerns does.  Football is hard work and our youth don't like hard work.  They stay indoors and play games that require much less energy.  It's almost across the board that the number youth participants in organized sports (that require physical effort) is down and falling.  And since football generally requires the most effort and time, it's falling faster than most.  It's not just football and CTE.

This is not limited to football. but just work in general. I don't believe a kid has to play a sport to be successful in life, but I believe it helps. We are seeing our culture slip ever deeper into entitlement and poor work ethic. When is the last time you went to a fast food chain and thought "wow what a polite well mannered /professional attitude that person has" We now want 20 dollars an hour to stand around pick our nose and text message our friends about how lame our job is. These are most likely the parent in the stand or at the end of the field talking aboout how stupid the coach is for not playing their son. The one who shows up late to practice, jacks around on the sidelines and when given an opportunity doesn't know his assignment, because he never paid attention, but somehow it is the coaches fault. ... ok ok ok I am of the soapbox.. sorry 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlnwickFootball said:

Reckon disgraced Baylor coach Art Briles is going to It Lee to take on the Fighting Fickerts!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-baylor-coach-art-briles-hired-to-coach-guelfi-firenze-football-team-in-italy/

Eye'll taik tha Fightin' Ficks bye a helmint and 2 pares ov arnge and blu kleets....:popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Football (as I was taught growing up) has already gone away. It’s now glorified flag football. Very few teams run downhill. The “spread” has trickled down to the youth leagues. How many really big hits do we see during murvils 15 game season? Less than 5? It’s a fact of life. Most don’t take unnecessary chances with their kids. I hate it. I miss Butkus. I miss LT, Lambert, and Lewis. It’s now about not touching the qb or receiver. Might as well put the flags on.

• Like 1