William blount offseason thread

4 hours ago, AllRegion said:

Football will be just fine. We will NEVER see a world without football, and that's the truth. Getting in your car and driving down the road is dangerous, yet people have their kids do it every day. You can't live in bubble wrap, and I believe that enough kids will always want to play for football to survive. The game is too important, it means too much to people, and it's just too big to completely go away.

Agree

9 hours ago, AllRegion said:

Football will be just fine. We will NEVER see a world without football, and that's the truth. Getting in your car and driving down the road is dangerous, yet people have their kids do it every day. You can't live in bubble wrap, and I believe that enough kids will always want to play for football to survive. The game is too important, it means too much to people, and it's just too big to completely go away.

I agree 100% football isn't going away either but the facts are out there that number of players out to play isn't what it once was a few years ago. It don't take a rocket scientist to see Heritage drop down into the mid 30's range of players with their middle school having only 23 or Maryville Junior High with only in the low 30's out that once averaged 50 kids for decades. I don't think football is going to dry up and go away but I hope those loses are the fat and not the meat of those teams or it will spell trouble down the road. Not sure I could handle Maryville replacing WB as the laughing stock of high school football.

29 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I agree 100% football isn't going away either but the facts are out there that number of players out to play isn't what it once was a few years ago. It don't take a rocket scientist to see Heritage drop down into the mid 30's range of players with their middle school having only 23 or Maryville Junior High with only in the low 30's out that once averaged 50 kids for decades. I don't think football is going to dry up and go away but I hope those loses are the fat and not the meat of those teams or it will spell trouble down the road. Not sure I could handle Maryville replacing WB as the laughing stock of high school football.

You don’t need 50 on a roster when only 16 or 17 get to play 

58 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Not sure I could handle Maryville replacing WB as the laughing stock of high school football.

I don't think you'll ever see Maryville become a program in turmoil. But even if you did, you'd still love them just the same. Trust me, I know from experience

2 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

I don't think you'll ever see Maryville become a program in turmoil. But even if you did, you'd still love them just the same. Trust me, I know from experience

There was a time in the very late 80's til 1996 I didn't go as often because the leadership of Maryville High was strongly having a negative effect on the program sort of the way WB has right now.  It took a coach like Hamontree that voided all connections with the other teaching staff and the brown noser parents to break that party up and get the thing turned into the right direction.  I've followed pretty close since then. Mark this down from experience and a fact, if Maryville ever starts to fail Alcoa will follow suit right behind because they feed off of each other. If you don't believe me look at the team records and see how close each other had their dominations.

10 hours ago, AllRegion said:

Has cigarette smoking gone away? One look at the profits of Phillip Morris says "NO!" Smoking is one of the most harmful things one could do for their health, and has been proven to lead to death, yet people light up every day. On the other hand, HS football has NO proven link to long-term harm...so why would the sport shrivel up and die? It won't. 

Of course smoking hasn't gone away, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that football will disappear. But I think it's safe to say that a much smaller percentage of the population smokes today.

Just because we don't see a "proven link" now doesn't mean that there isn't one. It wasn't until the early 1950s that the health effects of cigarette smoking were "officially" known and accepted in the medical community, and it took even longer before society as a whole came to accept that reality. In 1953, nearly half (~47%) of American adults were smoking. Today, ~15% of American adults smoke, and less than 10% of adults with a college degree do it.

I just want the whole story. Nothing wrong with that.

4 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Of course smoking hasn't gone away, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that football will disappear. But I think it's safe to say that a much smaller percentage of the population smokes today.

Just because we don't see a "proven link" now doesn't mean that there isn't one. It wasn't until the early 1950s that the health effects of cigarette smoking were "officially" known and accepted in the medical community, and it took even longer before society as a whole came to accept that reality. In 1953, nearly half (~47%) of American adults were smoking. Today, ~15% of American adults smoke, and less than 10% of adults with a college degree do it.

I just want the whole story. Nothing wrong with that.

I am totally fine with this and 100% agree with it. I'm not an idiot. You bang your head against something, there could be issues.

My problem is we are still in the beginning stages and don't know everything and assume we do, football is being made as safe as possible (within 5 years colleges won't be allowed to hit in practice mideason more than 1 day a week), and frankly a lot of the studies are, for a lack of better word, rigged. And of course, media coverage.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Solomon said:

My problem is we are still in the beginning stages and don't know everything and assume we do, football is being made as safe as possible (within 5 years colleges won't be allowed to hit in practice mideason more than 1 day a week), and frankly a lot of the studies are, for a lack of better word, rigged. And of course, media coverage. 

Agreed. Sounds kinda like the global warming debate. :popcorneater:

On 8/1/2018 at 7:49 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Bus riders and steak eaters...if it were easy everyone would play. Its about heart and dedication. The game of football has helped my boys in life, especially the MARYVILLE program. The game of football is a pure team sport they learn much about life and over coming adversity. Our sons will be better equipped to enter adulthood than others , for the most part.