Greenback 2017 state champions

orngnblk

4 hours ago, maj said:

Believe me when I tell you the direction the team was going prior to Greg and Kill was not a good one. Greenback has always had plenty of talent and even more toughness but not this level of coaching. In my NSHO starting in 2008 there were teams capable of not only getting to Cookeville but being competitive there too. But we never made it. 3 years ago GB was far from a plug and play team that just anybody could coach. The big guy letting it all hang out in the TV interview is the reason why GB has now joined fellow east TN schools a few miles north ( M-ville and Alcoa) in not only believing they can play for a title every year, but expecting to, then play accordingly .

Believe me I know which way it was a heading lol I had a son on those teams as well as this one!! I wasn't really even talking about whether Greg could coach or not the point that I was trying to make is that he came in at a very good time as far as talent and as for the east as a whole is very weak!! It makes a huge difference when you have a lot of talent and when you don't and if you go back when Brent and Greg coached before at GHS they didn't make it as far as they have the last three years! I think for the most part Greg is a pretty good offensive play caller but as far as talent we have had some better athletes the last few years IMO!!

1 minute ago, Gbnation said:

Believe me I know which way it was a heading lol I had a son on those teams as well as this one!! I wasn't really even talking about whether Greg could coach or not the point that I was trying to make is that he came in at a very good time as far as talent and as for the east as a whole is very weak!! It makes a huge difference when you have a lot of talent and when you don't and if you go back when Brent and Greg coached before at GHS they didn't make it as far as they have the last three years! I think for the most part Greg is a pretty good offensive play caller but as far as talent we have had some better athletes the last few years IMO!!

I'll concede some of programs in the east had a drop off in recent years but I've thought many GB teams underperformed and it wasn't because they lacked talent. Greg wasn't in charge when he was coaching prior to 3 years ago. I think the present philosophy would have taken teams 2008-2012 and maybe couple of others deeper in the playoffs possibly all the way.

30 minutes ago, maj said:

I'll concede some of programs in the east had a drop off in recent years but I've thought many GB teams underperformed and it wasn't because they lacked talent. Greg wasn't in charge when he was coaching prior to 3 years ago. I think the present philosophy would have taken teams 2008-2012 and maybe couple of others deeper in the playoffs possibly all the way.

He wasn't the head coach but he did have a lot to do with the team, but I will disagree about the talent being the same. Not saying that those teams didn't have talent because they did but not as much as we had the past two years IMO!

Edited by Gbnation

On 12/1/2017 at 1:04 PM, maj said:

Has any coach in TN had a better 1st 3 year run than Ryan ?

3 straight trips to the finals and now a title.

I don't have the won loss record for the last 3 seasons but I think he's lost a total of 4 games with two of those being in the state finals.

40-5

2015 12-3 (losses to Loudon, Kingston Double OT, NCS (that private semi pro team) in state championship))

2016 14-1 (Undegeated regular season with loss to Dresden in state championship)

2017 14-1 (9-1 regular season loss to GCA with 5 straight wins in playoffs leading to Gold Ball!!)

Pretty impressive run thus far

Edited by ladykee

1 hour ago, maj said:

There was plenty of talent in previous years under other staff with difference being that Coach Ryan will play whoever he feels he needs to get the job done. He gets personal with the kids but does not let that dictate personnel as much as previous coaches have done. If you are a Freshman or Sophomore and better than an upperclassmen you typically will get the chance. As it should be. This ain't a game where you take a number and wait in line. You know Seniors first, then Juniors, then....get the picture. Personal friendships and off field relationships should have no place in coaching a team. That stuff has to be separate and is just the most respected way to do things and only fair to the whole team. Could have had a Gold ball already if things were done right especially in 2013 & 2014 & probably 2012.

Edited by ladykee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, maj said:

I completely agree and you know i was right there with you through that mess. What a breath of fresh air!