Girls HS ball in Tennessee

dmm88

On 12/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, dmm88 said:

The product doesn't look good right now IMO. So what's the fix??? More classifications, a shot clock, referee training, like anything that you feel would improve the brand.

Dmm, you must be from West TN.  I would have to say this early in the season that girls hoops in West TN is not good with the possible exceptions of Huntingdon, Westview and Greenfield.  I have seen several games and am underwhelmed with most teams.  Middle and East TN teams on the contrary look much better.  East of the river the talent and teams are strong and the games are a good watch.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, dmm88 said:

The product doesn't look good right now IMO. So what's the fix??? More classifications, a shot clock, referee training, like anything that you feel would improve the brand.

Four classes would help. The new charter or other schools adding teams each year affects the cutoffs drastically.

Not sure four classes is the answer as it would just water down and already weak product (at least in West TN).  The crazy number of classes in football has really watered down what it means to win a state ch-ship.  The number of football state champions in TN is ridiculous!  

A shot clock would be a good start for high school IMO.  Also, I think there is a true lack of fundamentals in girls basketball.  West TN should start basketball school leagues in elementary school.  Many times girls don't get their first exposure to basketball until middle school in the 7th grade.  They can be freak athletes but if the first time they play organized basketball is the 7th grade, they are WAAAAAY behind the curve.

The first post mentioned four classes. I think it will be looked at closer for the next reclassification. Even with a lot of private schools going Division II, the number of new schools, mostly charter and magnet, adding teams throws off the classes. Having four classes would keep teams with similar size against each other and maybe allow some teams to develop. Some wouldnt do well regardless.

Football isn't the best comparison. 6 classes with fewer teams.

• 2 weeks later...

AAU is part of the problem! These bigger AAU programs usually have players that are top notch players and athletes that may not can afford to play and pay these Coaches and trainers and then there are the players whose parents have money that can afford to do so which also pays the way for the stand out player that cant! But these AAU teams are made up of just the best players or again players that can afford the cost to pay these so called great AAU Coaches so again alot of kids are not given the opportunity to get better! So these AAU kids who play on these select teams all the time don't know how to play with other non AAU kids! And the HS Coach just lets his 1 or 2 AAU players kinda run wild on the court! Makes for ugly HS games!

There is good & bad basketball in every state.  AAU is not the problem, its just a way for a kid to get more exposure.  The true problem is the lack of teaching fundamentals,  When i am watching a girls game I can point out every players weakness and I relate that weakness to a lack of working on fundamentals by their H.S. coach.  I've seen enough basketball boys and girls to know that a lot of coaches are not concerned with teaching more than they are concerned with winning.  When you look at college basketball you can tell the players that have been taught fundamentals of the game, they are the girls that are starting as freshman or getting a lot of playing time.  Another problem is the parents. some parents only want their child to play at a high level but they are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary for the child to play at that level.  AAU is a problem only when it comes to the player going back to their H.S. team, does that player have the ability to make others around her better in most cases no, becasues she has played on an elite team where everyone is good she doesn't have to worry about making her teammates better or carrying the team.  I don't care how many teams are ranked in TN I've seen better basketball.  So what if there are 2 or 3 teams ranked in the top 25 if the rest of the teams are not very good.

Here in the upper cumberland we have some pretty good girl basketball,however none really go to the next level anymore to play d1 because they are what I call "upper cumberland set shooters"(and they can shoot). A girl that can create,  shoot off the dribble quickly and elevate to a jump shot are what i consider elite players, we just dont see that around here very often.