Smokey Mountain Duals

Bump11

9 minutes ago, topperpride11 said:

Say what you want but SH is in the conversation. Cleveland beat us today without 3 of our starters and we had some banged up kids. We might or might not get them at State Duals but I can guarantee you we will make them sweat. I can also guarantee you that we are a very good tournament team and Cleveland might be chasing us at the individual tournament.

What 3 starters was Science Hill missing??

Cleveland was missing both Sweeney and Benefeld and you guys got 6 points in those two weights..  

30 minutes ago, topperpride11 said:

Say what you want but SH is in the conversation. Cleveland beat us today without 3 of our starters and we had some banged up kids. We might or might not get them at State Duals but I can guarantee you we will make them sweat. I can also guarantee you that we are a very good tournament team and Cleveland might be chasing us at the individual tournament.

You all are a good team. Just not Cleveland good. Individual is gonna be a lot harder than you want to think it is gonna be. We know you're a big SH homer. That's a good thing, but beginning to think you really don't know just how stacked that Cleveland team is. Not taking anything away from SH. Most likely will finish 2nd in both states coming up. This Cleveland team could most likely have every kid on that starting roster place this year. If not winning most of them. SH is going to have to have one heck of a roster to compete with that. And that, they do not. 

14 minutes ago, DaBears1976 said:

You all are a good team. Just not Cleveland good. Individual is gonna be a lot harder than you want to think it is gonna be. We know you're a big SH homer. That's a good thing, but beginning to think you really don't know just how stacked that Cleveland team is. Not taking anything away from SH. Most likely will finish 2nd in both states coming up. This Cleveland team could most likely have every kid on that starting roster place this year. If not winning most of them. SH is going to have to have one heck of a roster to compete with that. And that, they do not. 

I think Cleveland made a statement today and it is that they are the best dual team in the state.  However, I think DaBears is smoking the wacky weed if he truly believes they will place everyone on their roster.  That statement is no less than absurd.  This Cleveland team doesn't really even compare to your own Bradley team from two seasons ago who placed 8 or 9.  I don't see Cleveland placing more than six and that might be optimistic.  

Wilson Central also made a statement that they will be part of the process in Franklin.

My last question:  DaBears, since when did you become the eternal Cleveland optimist?  Your bears are down this year and you want to jump on the Raider wagon so you can roll with a winner?  Let me guess, you are also a New England Patriots fan?

46 minutes ago, topperpride11 said:

No one disputed whether or not SH is in the conversation. Three starters out and you lost by 23 points. Sweating debatable at best. So let’s look at it below.

106 Bodo pinned in 40 seconds. 

113 Starter out presumably. Mann goes in here anyway after Christmas provided he can make the weight more than twice. Remains to be seen. Even if he does how do you close the gap here?

120 Seeley won by pin.

126 Mann pinned in 25 seconds.

132 Frye pinned in 1:22

138 Story won by pin. You would need this again 50/50 chance.

145 Stiltner pinned in 3:44

152 James won by decision 5-1. Sweeney out for us and he beat James last year.

160 Diehl won by major 18-6.

170 Forfeit to Jones. Another starter out. 

182 Kalogeros pinned in 2:39

195 Brown won by decision 6-5. We bumped here and your guy wrestled a back up.

220 Medina won by decision 4-2. Our 195 wrestled here.

285 Cross pinned in 27 seconds. Not a typo.

So where are you getting 23 points? Most of the matches resulting in pins are not close. James is a physical specimen but not a bonus point machine. Mann dropping to 113 is not a guaranteed six points. You are already getting bonus from Seeley, Story, and Diehl.

For anyone but Cleveland to win the D1 individual state championship they would need a ton of help and that is not going to happen.  Even if Cleveland lost a few that they shouldn't the tournament is just not difficult enough at this point for someone to slip in and win the title.  Now if D1 and D2 were combined that would be very possible but as it is now its shouldn't be close.

18 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I think Cleveland made a statement today and it is that they are the best dual team in the state.  However, I think DaBears is smoking the wacky weed if he truly believes they will place everyone on their roster.  That statement is no less than absurd.  This Cleveland team doesn't really even compare to your own Bradley team from two seasons ago who placed 8 or 9.  I don't see Cleveland placing more than six and that might be optimistic.  

Wilson Central also made a statement that they will be part of the process in Franklin.

My last question:  DaBears, since when did you become the eternal Cleveland optimist?  Your bears are down this year and you want to jump on the Raider wagon so you can roll with a winner?  Let me guess, you are also a New England Patriots fan?

First thing, I'm far from a Raider fan, but why hide it if they're good this year? I'm jumping on no kind of wagon. I know you know nothing about this county and of course region. Know how jealous you really are over all the state's and "legacy" votes we all get. I'll over look all your statements. In this county, we try support each other. We keep those states inside this county. Rather it's Da Bears or Raiders. Oh and no, I don't like the Patriots.  Wrong on all accounts. 

1 hour ago, durdon said:

I retract my comment.. I was talking to a GA Coach and bragging about Cleveland and McCallie beating Jefferson and Woodland and he was telling me how great their top 3 in GA are.

on further review after looking at UG and Buford,  Cleveland and McCallie would beat both..  Camden probably would be a tough match up for both but who knows.   this really shows were TN wrestling is at.. 

Any chance Camden would get an invite to the Al Miller Duals next December?

8 hours ago, StarRaider said:

Any chance Camden would get an invite to the Al Miller Duals next December?

I am sure that Cleveland will ask but I doubt they will come.  Camden is basically a Fl team.  They are 30 minutes outside of Jacksonville and they primarily wrestle in the state of Fl during the season.   They are not very well liked by the ATL power programs because they don’t get to see Camden during the season and then they roll up to state in 7A and just wax everybody, or at least they have the past 5 years.  They are a factory much like Cleveland and Bradley. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for them but they have filled every weight and they have 3 kids ranked by Flo.  

• Upvote 1

Cleveland wrestlers win tasty prize

CLEVELAND BLUE RAIDER Trae McDaniel wrestles to a win in a 106-pound bout at the Smoky Mountain Duals, in Pigeon Forge. McDaniel recorded a perfect 8-0 record to help the Raiders win the championship.
CLEVELAND BLUE RAIDER Trae McDaniel wrestles to a win in a 106-pound bout at the Smoky Mountain Duals, in Pigeon Forge. McDaniel recorded a perfect 8-0 record to help the Raiders win the championship.
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Posted Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:00 am

By PATRICK MacCOON    

With a prime rib dinner on the line, the state's top-ranked wrestling program brought home the unique first-place prize at the two-day Smoky Mountain Duals in Pigeon Forge.

Cleveland wrapped up the championship Friday afternoon with a 36-30 defeat of a powerhouse Jefferson High School, which has won the past 17 state championships in Georgia on its climb from Class A to Class AAAA.

"They are a stud program and they were definitely our biggest competition," said first-year CHS head coach Joey Knox. "They gave us a good match. We came out on top with a hard fight and a lot of great matches.

"Burns Meagher pulled out a clutch win to get us going. We had Jack Hicks, Logan Strickland, Jackson Bradford Titus Swafford get us some big bonus points with pins. Trae McDaniel had a great match too and got us six points. Without those bonus points, we wouldn't have won the duals."

The Blue Raiders went 8-0 while wrestling in the LeConte Convention Center, which improves their record to 23-1 overall on the season.

While Knox's uber talented group also landed statement victories over a pair of familiar Class AAA powers in No. 2 Science Hill (48-25) and No. 4 Wilson Central (55-21) along with a 56-21 defeat of Woodward Academy, Ga. Friday, he believes the best is still yet to come.

"I was sitting there today watching us and we still haven't wrestled our best," said Knox of his team who outscored eight opponents a combined 487-115. "I know what our guys are capable of and they still have yet to synchronize with their full potential. I think once they all get going at the same time nobody will have anything for us. That will be very entertaining and I think that will happen in the state tournament."

Hicks landed four pins, three in the first round, and also defeated the  state's fourth-ranked wrestler in Wilson Central's Sinjin Noga in a 3-2 decision. Cleveland's "stud" wrestler won all seven of his matches on his way to taking home his second Most Outstanding Wrestler Award.

Hicks is now 20-2 overall on the season and was the Al Miller Cleveland Duals top wrestler as well. The senior brute force has shown interest in wrestling for Appalachian State already.

With 10 ranked wrestlers and a solid lineup throughout, the goals for the  Blue Raiders are not to only have all 14 wrestlers advance to the state tournament.

"It is a given expectation to have all 14 guys make it to Murfreesboro," Knox said. "We have a lofty goal that I think we can achieve and that is us for us to place all of our guys at the state tournament. I don't think that has ever been done. That's been our goal the whole year."

A freshman for CHS in McDaniel showcased his great technique going 8-0 over the weekend with a team best six pins.

Zach Brezna (160) picked up four pins over the duals tournament, while Logan Strickland also excelled moving up to 220 with four falls. Dylan Jones (170) and Swafford (285) each had three pins.

The Blue Raiders will now enjoy Christmas with their families before returning to the mats and eating a big team meal together.

"We are looking forward to eating the smoked prime rib we won after practice Wednesday," Knox said. "This was a great tournament and we got to wrestle a lot. It really pushed us right before we have quite a bit of off time before our next match. It was a great way to end the first half."

CHS will return to the mats with a matchup against seventh-ranked Soddy-Daisy at home on Jan. 4.