Mairvul Footbawl 2018

STARSNBARS

2 hours ago, HTV said:

Some interesting quotes in that story.

There's no doubt.  

It was a bitter loss for Oakland, no doubt about it. I can understand the frustration expressed by Creasy. 

When I think about that game, it was incredibly evenly matched. The biggest one play that I will always remember in that game was the Maryville RB ( I think it was Cobb) breaking the tackle on the 4th down screen pass and barely getting the first down late in the fourth quarter to keep the drive alive for the winning FG. Oakland had the play defended perfectly and just didn’t wrap up and make the tackle to get the 4th down stop. Game would have probably gone to OT if not for that play- game was that close.

IMO, it didn’t come down to coaching or officiating- Maryville just made one more play physically. Both teams were very talented and well coached. I suspect it will be the same this year. 

4 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Here are are some excerpts from the Murfreesboro Post. How to complain about officiating by saying I’m not complaining:

“I think it’s the kind of rivalry that everyone loves about high school football,” Oakland coach Kevin Creasy said. “We may run into them again in the playoffs, we may not. But for our fans and their fans, it’s a great rivalry that we may have for years and years.”

It’s disappointing that we left there with a loss,” Creasy said. “We can say what we want to about officiating, but we’ve never ran out of there saying we lost because of an official. There’s no doubt an official made a mistake or two, but we as coaches made a mistake or two, our players made a mistake or two and our coverage had a mistake or two, so everybody is responsible. Maryville is responsible for making a play or two. 

“So, here’s the best thing we can do: quit blaming stuff on everyone else and worry about what we can control. What we can control are turnovers, penalties, how many times we score and how many times we stop them. That’s been our attitude. It’s easy to say that Maryville’s quarterback was the difference maker or some guy that refed the game didn’t have his best game and cost us. It’s our fault that we didn’t win that game. If we win, then it’s their fault. If we lose again, it’s back to our fault.”

https://www.murfreesboropost.com/sports/oakland-versus-maryville-the-next-great-high-school-rivalry/article_476ce392-934e-11e8-b42d-dffd9801a66d.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

If Maryville's coach ever delivers a statement such as that he will have a foot to pull out of his butt. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Here are are some excerpts from the Murfreesboro Post. How to complain about officiating by saying I’m not complaining:

“I think it’s the kind of rivalry that everyone loves about high school football,” Oakland coach Kevin Creasy said. “We may run into them again in the playoffs, we may not. But for our fans and their fans, it’s a great rivalry that we may have for years and years.”

It’s disappointing that we left there with a loss,” Creasy said. “We can say what we want to about officiating, but we’ve never ran out of there saying we lost because of an official. There’s no doubt an official made a mistake or two, but we as coaches made a mistake or two, our players made a mistake or two and our coverage had a mistake or two, so everybody is responsible. Maryville is responsible for making a play or two. 

“So, here’s the best thing we can do: quit blaming stuff on everyone else and worry about what we can control. What we can control are turnovers, penalties, how many times we score and how many times we stop them. That’s been our attitude. It’s easy to say that Maryville’s quarterback was the difference maker or some guy that refed the game didn’t have his best game and cost us. It’s our fault that we didn’t win that game. If we win, then it’s their fault. If we lose again, it’s back to our fault.”

https://www.murfreesboropost.com/sports/oakland-versus-maryville-the-next-great-high-school-rivalry/article_476ce392-934e-11e8-b42d-dffd9801a66d.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

:roflolk:

4 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

It was a bitter loss for Oakland, no doubt about it. I can understand the frustration expressed by Creasy. 

When I think about that game, it was incredibly evenly matched. The biggest one play that I will always remember in that game was the Maryville RB ( I think it was Cobb) breaking the tackle on the 4th down screen pass and barely getting the first down late in the fourth quarter to keep the drive alive for the winning FG. Oakland had the play defended perfectly and just didn’t wrap up and make the tackle to get the 4th down stop. Game would have probably gone to OT if not for that play- game was that close.

IMO, it didn’t come down to coaching or officiating- Maryville just made one more play physically. Both teams were very talented and well coached. I suspect it will be the same this year. 

Yep. Jeron Rooks had Cobb dead to rites, but Cobb was just too strong to go down.  Maryville made the first down by the nose of the ball, but to be fair it was really a bad spot.  If you watch the video it's not hard to see that it was marked a full yard short of where it should have been.  Oakland almost got a huge break there.