State Dual Results And Updates

Bump11

1 hour ago, reftn said:

Hat tip to this thread. I havent been here in a couple of years, but at the Duals all weekend.  

For 18 pages the officiating has gone unsathed.   The back and forth has been excellent.

Pulled an MJ?  Meaning undeserved victory?

MJ would have been at the duals this year had there not been a misconduct call on  the last wrestler.  Beech and MJ tied at region. MJ had more pins 6-5 and I believe we're going to win on criteria, BUT the last MJ wrestler punched the mat and tossed his headgear after his loss.  I watched in disbelief as Jeff questioned the call.  That gave The victory to Beech  . . .

5 hours ago, reftn said:

Hat tip to this thread. I havent been here in a couple of years, but at the Duals all weekend.  

For 18 pages the officiating has gone unsathed.   The back and forth has been excellent.

I think we have all resigned ourselves to the fact that many of the officials in Tennessee want to be the center of the show and insert themselves in too many match situations.  Case in point, you said yourself you haven't been here in a couple of years but felt the need to come on and mention the officials.  Typical official behavior. 

That being said, there are some VERY good officials in our state and the officiating at State seemed decent for the most part.  There are always those head scratchers where you are wondering how the official's regressed back to their teenage days when they can't hold their own temper and decide to insert themselves and make a difference in the match.  The Arlington match is a good example.  No excuses but I'm not sure that was the proper call.  

22 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I think we have all resigned ourselves to the fact that many of the officials in Tennessee want to be the center of the show and insert themselves in too many match situations.  Case in point, you said yourself you haven't been here in a couple of years but felt the need to come on and mention the officials.  Typical official behavior. 

That being said, there are some VERY good officials in our state and the officiating at State seemed decent for the most part.  There are always those head scratchers where you are wondering how the official's regressed back to their teenage days when they can't hold their own temper and decide to insert themselves and make a difference in the match.  The Arlington match is a good example.  No excuses but I'm not sure that was the proper call.  

I was complimenting all those that participated without feeling the need to feel they had find a scapegoat in officiating.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the kid from Arlington blew his nose on the mat?  That is what I understood, though it was not my match.  I could be citing the wrong match, but I know this incident involved Brentwood.
-------------------------

Reading up thread if the call in question was regarding an escape point, then I am in error.

Edited by reftn
missed information

1 minute ago, reftn said:

I was complimenting all those that participated without feeling the need to feel they had find a scapegoat in officiating.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the kid from Arlington blew his nose on the mat?  That is what I understood, though it was not my match.  I could be citing the wrong match, but I know this incident involved Brentwood.

Different match.  That was a match point - the wrestler lost in OT because he blew his nose on the edge of the mat, not a team point.  

• Like 1

Just want to point out that no one I spoke with from Arlington blamed the loss on the Ref's decision to call unsportsmanlike.  Yeah it was bizarre at the moment -- although we've seen this type of call before -- but Brentwood forfeited heavyweight knowing they would win it on criteria.  If Arlington had been one up (34-33) the heavyweight match would have been wrestled.  At that point it, in my opinion, it would have been a toss up on who came out on top.  Point being that, even had the penalty point not been awarded,  BW could have still won that dual.  

17 minutes ago, Nainten said:

Just want to point out that no one I spoke with from Arlington blamed the loss on the Ref's decision to call unsportsmanlike.  Yeah it was bizarre at the moment -- although we've seen this type of call before -- but Brentwood forfeited heavyweight knowing they would win it on criteria.  If Arlington had been one up (34-33) the heavyweight match would have been wrestled.  At that point it, in my opinion, it would have been a toss up on who came out on top.  Point being that, even had the penalty point not been awarded,  BW could have still won that dual.  

Very true. The officials weren’t the reason that they lost. Arlington could’ve put it out of hand by winning one of the tight matches that they lost, or by picking up pins at 126 or 195. I think what was upsetting was that it did end with a forfeit at heavyweight, and that the deciding criteria was for something that the coaching staff, in my opinion, should’ve received a warning for at most. They were never warned, just penalized the team point.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, reftn said:

Easy there. 

This is Tennessee, we are resigned to the fact of inconsistency, and differing rule interpretations. 

Hate the way they rotate. The match got called three different ways. Could you imagine how frustrating it would be for a pitcher to have a different umpire every batter. Pitchers adjust to the umps zone. Wrestlers do the same thing.