Peabody self imposed sanctions per TSSAA

FightingBlue0

2 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

I learn something new everyday. There are a few historic football programs in that group. 

Blount County has the big two incorporated cities in Maryville/Alcoa that have their own school systems. We also have the incorporated cities of Friendsville, Louisville, Rockford, and Townsend. We had community schools in the county before consolidation back in 1977 (Heritage) and 1979 William Blount.

Walland won the Single A State Championship in 1975.

We also have a bunch of unincorporated towns with post offices and zip codes. Walland, Tallassee, and a small part of the Greenback zip code.

South Pittsburg beat Walland in 1974 and the following week hosted Brentwood Academy for the Class A  championship.  I remember Walland and their championship run the following year.  

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Red Rebels said:

I learn something new everyday. There are a few historic football programs in that group. 

Blount County has the big two incorporated cities in Maryville/Alcoa that have their own school systems. We also have the incorporated cities of Friendsville, Louisville, Rockford, and Townsend. We had community schools in the county before consolidation back in 1977 (Heritage) and 1979 William Blount.

Walland won the Single A State Championship in 1975.

We also have a bunch of unincorporated towns with post offices and zip codes. Walland, Tallassee, and a small part of the Greenback zip code.

I think that the main point of BPM's post slipped by unnoticed...not only are there several small townships within the boarders of Gibson Co., almost all have been declared Special School Districts. These all operate independently of each other, with their own School Boards and Directors. If I remember correctly, only Gibson and Carroll counties have traditionally had these districts in Tennessee, with some talk of trying to repeal a law forbidding creating more such districts in order to appease concerns regarding the Memphis City/Shelby County situation a few years ago. I believe that was resolved by creating Charter Schools and leaving the laws regarding Special Districts as it stood.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, Southtowner said:

South Pittsburg beat Walland in 1974 and the following week hosted Brentwood Academy for the Class A  championship.  I remember Walland and their championship run the following year.  

Walland lost to Rockwood in the semifinals in 1976 and Rockwood beat Dyer County for the title.

Only 8 teams made the playoffs in the 70s for each of A, AA and AAA.  It was brutal. It is amazing how many schools made the field of 8 in the 70s that don't exist now like TPS, Lanier, Jacksboro, Walland, Maury, Spring City etc.  The field expanded to 16 in 1977.  It was brutal. 

In AA Ketron and Knox Rule were good enough to make the field of 8 but are long gone.

Edited by rlh

10 minutes ago, rlh said:

Only 8 teams made the playoffs in the 70s for each of A, AA and AAA.  It was brutal. It is amazing how many schools made the field of 8 in the 70s that don't exist now like TPS, Lanier, Jacksboro, Walland, Maury, Spring City etc.  The field expanded to 16 in 1977.  It was brutal. 

In AA Ketron and Knox Rule were good enough to make the field of 8 but are long gone.

Greenback had a bunch of rivals that are gone. Lanier, Friendsville, and Vonore were all Single A schools that butted up against the Greenback District. The green line is the county lines of Blount, Loudon, and Monroe.

zwm90y.png

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Red Rebels said:

Greenback had a bunch of rivals that are gone. Lanier, Friendsville, and Vonore were all Single A schools that butted up against the Greenback District. The green line is the county lines of Blount, Loudon, and Monroe.

zwm90y.png

I'm a big supporter of smaller community schools. I think they are much better for the average or even below average kid. I may run for local office in the next few years and I have a plan to bring back some smaller community schools to Blount county as the population continues to grow

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

I'm a big supporter of smaller community schools. I think they are much better for the average or even below average kid. I may run for local office in the next few years and I have a plan to bring back some smaller community schools to Blount county as the population continues to grow

If you look at the zip code map, William Blount is in Friendsville. They probably got special permission to call it Maryville on the address since it's right on the line. GO FALCONS!

33upc2o.png

Build the new Lanier on US 411. They've built too many schools on two lane roads.

23 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

If you look at the zip code map, William Blount is in Friendsville. They probably got special permission to call it Maryville on the address since it's right on the line. GO FALCONS!

33upc2o.png

Build the new Lanier on US 411. They've built too many schools on two lane roads.

Hmm. That's a thought. I hadn't originally considered 411 in my plan because I don't want the kids dealing with crossing that much traffic if it can be avoided.  I was thinking between Carpenters and Lanier. I lived 16 miles from WB, I want a smaller community school closer to where the kids live.

On 3/19/2018 at 2:13 PM, 32hammer said:

Amen!