Too soon to start football !!

fb247

4 hours ago, cbg said:

You are correct with regards to high school football beginning much too soon.  Practice should have started this year on Monday August 6 and the first game should be Friday August 31.  That would give teams 4 weeks to prepare for the first regular season game.  Participation numbers are down across the country and while head injuries are being credited as a major reason another reason is the high school coaches continue to micro managing the time of their players.  I am the first to admit that kids need to participate in strength & conditioning along with running during the summer months.  However, this should be limited to 5 days per week and a total of 2 hours per day.  If you want to work on your 7 on 7 team that is part of the 2 hours per day.  It's up to the coach how they use that allotted time.  All the high school football coaches give lip service to the idea of being a multi sport athlete while in high school but I have yet to see a high school football coach attend a summer league baseball game or AAU basketball game unless they had a child playing.  Do they show up to watch and show support their football players?  

I know here in Gallatin they have excused absences when playing other sports like baseball when they are also on the baseball team.  

On 7/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, cbg said:

You are correct with regards to high school football beginning much too soon.  Practice should have started this year on Monday August 6 and the first game should be Friday August 31.  That would give teams 4 weeks to prepare for the first regular season game.  Participation numbers are down across the country and while head injuries are being credited as a major reason another reason is the high school coaches continue to micro managing the time of their players.  I am the first to admit that kids need to participate in strength & conditioning along with running during the summer months.  However, this should be limited to 5 days per week and a total of 2 hours per day.  If you want to work on your 7 on 7 team that is part of the 2 hours per day.  It's up to the coach how they use that allotted time.  All the high school football coaches give lip service to the idea of being a multi sport athlete while in high school but I have yet to see a high school football coach attend a summer league baseball game or AAU basketball game unless they had a child playing.  Do they show up to watch and show support their football players?  

The Tennessean newspaper must read coacht. I just read an article about football starting to soon. 

On 7/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, cbg said:

Greenback doesnt even have spring practice so the Baseball kids can focus on Baseball.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:24 PM, JSamson7 said:

We keep in year round on 825 Lawrence Ave. Even our feeder programs are starting earlier this year. As Stars would put it, "Mebbe that will hep us holt offt" those Middle Tennessee programs a few more years... 

The youth programs are starting earlier, but ending earlier (Sep 29) because of the disruptive Fall Break by the three school systems.  It's hard for the youth teams to play in October anymore.

3 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

The youth programs are starting earlier, but ending earlier (Sep 29) because of the disruptive Fall Break by the three school systems.  It's hard for the youth teams to play in October anymore.

This is true, which means I'll get them earlier for mat season!

Thought this thread was abound football starting too early in August.  Georgia starts the same time we do, August 17, unless some choose to play on Thursday the 16th.  

BUT, they play their state championship games the week after Tennessee does.  Now how and why do they do that.  They have 12 regular season weeks to play 10 games.  The start with their state championship games and count backwards, just like Tennessee does.  THEY CAN'T PLAY THEIR CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES THE SAME WEEK AS TENNESSEE DOES, BECAUSE OF THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN THE DOME.

Check it out.  

On 7/23/2018 at 1:56 PM, JSamson7 said:

This is true, which means I'll get them earlier for mat season!

Maybe.  There are lots of the youth players talking about playing "travel football" after the youth season because the season is so short.

Edited by OldRebel2