Waverly at Fairview

rednecktiger31

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

He changed the offense to try to get some first downs and keep Fairview's offense off of the field.  It was a great gameplan.  Fairview has had great success against Waverly these last 5 years going 4-1 and only losing a double OT affair.  Both teams got better from this game and will go on to have great seasons.  

I guess McConnell called you and told you that? Lol Yea. I know McConnell always throws in a little wrinkle for each team Waverly plays.. but as someone who has seen this offense for 5 years... it was extremely different. I believe it was because we did not have our starting back. I know McConnell’s mentality and I can assure you he wasn’t “trying to keep Fairview’s offense off the field” Your talking about a coach that produces an offense that scores most times in 1-5 plays on offense normally. Fast Paced. Wide open quick scoring offense. I just don’t believe that was his game plan. I just believe he altered the offense to give multiple new backs touches and to throw off the defensive game plan of Fairview. I’d say Fairview expected us to throw all night and he was trying to establish a run game. Either way it was a different Waverly. 

10 minutes ago, Trollin said:

I guess McConnell called you and told you that? Lol Yea. I know McConnell always throws in a little wrinkle for each team Waverly plays.. but as someone who has seen this offense for 5 years... it was extremely different. I believe it was because we did not have our starting back. I know McConnell’s mentality and I can assure you he wasn’t “trying to keep Fairview’s offense off the field” Your talking about a coach that produces an offense that scores most times in 1-5 plays on offense normally. Fast Paced. Wide open quick scoring offense. I just don’t believe that was his game plan. I just believe he altered the offense to give multiple new backs touches and to throw off the defensive game plan of Fairview. I’d say Fairview expected us to throw all night and he was trying to establish a run game. Either way it was a different Waverly. 

Troll if you have seen all 5 years of McConnells offense then you should remember McConnell did the same exact thing against Fairview last year. They got in the single wing in the 2nd half against Fairview and was able to mount a comeback. 

What is Waverly's weakness right now?? Their defense. So why would a coach want to constantly put them on the field against a potent offense? McConnell is a smart guy. He knows if he wanted his defense to stand a chance to slow down Fairview, he needed his defense to rest. 

Still shocked at the drop off of the Waverly defense then last couple of years. 2016 they were outstanding on the defensive side of the ball and since then it has been a steady decline. If they want a long November run down by the Tennessee River, they got to improve on that side of the ball in a hurry.

10 hours ago, Swarm said:

Wow! Good job Nostradamus!

Fairview played a good game and congrats on the W. Some of you may not be happy with the way waverly played but myself Im very pleased with what I just seen last night. A little more work in some areas but this is only our 3rd game. The rest of 2A better look out!

27 minutes ago, vandyfan1 said:

Fairview played a good game and congrats on the W. Some of you may not be happy with the way waverly played but myself Im very pleased with what I just seen last night. A little more work in some areas but this is only our 3rd game. The rest of 2A better look out!

we are watching:mrgreen:

2 hours ago, District12AA said:

Troll if you have seen all 5 years of McConnells offense then you should remember McConnell did the same exact thing against Fairview last year. They got in the single wing in the 2nd half against Fairview and was able to mount a comeback. 

What is Waverly's weakness right now?? Their defense. So why would a coach want to constantly put them on the field against a potent offense? McConnell is a smart guy. He knows if he wanted his defense to stand a chance to slow down Fairview, he needed his defense to rest. 

Still shocked at the drop off of the Waverly defense then last couple of years. 2016 they were outstanding on the defensive side of the ball and since then it has been a steady decline. If they want a long November run down by the Tennessee River, they got to improve on that side of the ball in a hurry.

I know McConnell is smart. Last night was different than last year. And yes the defense needs work. That defensive coordinator has been there a couple years. 

3 hours ago, District12AA said:

It helped in 2016 to have had 4 or 5 19 year old 4 year starters on defense. We currently have mostly juniors on defense and last year they were sophomores starting for the first time.

Probably not a popular statement, but it’s my opinion. Until the defense quits giving up so many points there will be no state championship. Great fun to watch offense with one of the best QBs I’ve seen. It difficult for an offense to out score everyone throughout the playoffs. I’m not sure that it’s ever been done without at least good defense .

The defense is slowly improving. I'm more than confident in them for regional play. With so many players playing both sides now I believe the style of offense we played against Fairview wore the tigers out the most. But that's just my opinion. I'm really wondering how we will stand with davidson academy next week. That will undoubtedly be the toughest test all season long. 

8 hours ago, Swarm said:

I thought at one time Fairview was about to really pull out in front of the Tigers. We were up by 22 points halfway through the 3rd quarter. Seemed like Hughes got a little too conservative after that and let Waverly claw back a little too close for comfort. He probably assumed our tackling would have been better than it was. It was horrible. There were several HUGE plays Waverly made when we had them tangled up for a big loss or even a turnover on downs. Only for them to come out of the pile still running and converting the first down or even scoring. Hats off to Waverly for fighting back and making those plays. 

Swarm, I really respect your insights and I've enjoyed reading your comments this week, but I disagree with you on this point. I truly don't believe your coach went conservative which allowed Waverly to come back. What you witnessed is the resilience of our boys! There is no quit in them no matter how bad it looks. They put their whole heart into this game and this team, which is why we think so highly of them and believe they can beat anyone. We know they also believe this and they play like they do. Of course it hasn't worked out the last couple of weeks, lol, but everyone knows now, that when you play Waverly you play until the last second is off the clock because we most definitely will! heck of a game! Congrats on the W!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Super8Dad said:

Swarm, I really respect your insights and I've enjoyed reading your comments this week, but I disagree with you on this point. I truly don't believe your coach went conservative which allowed Waverly to come back. What you witnessed is the resilience of our boys! There is no quit in them no matter how bad it looks. They put their whole heart into this game and this team, which is why we think so highly of them and believe they can beat anyone. We know they also believe this and they play like they do. Of course it hasn't worked out the last couple of weeks, lol, but everyone knows now, that when you play Waverly you play until the last second is off the clock because we most definitely will! heck of a game! Congrats on the W!

Very well said!

4 hours ago, Super8Dad said:

Great post!

I assure you I meant no disrespect at all. Everyone in Fairview has seen and still sees Waverly's heart and passion. Believe that. Every second of every game we've played against each other for the last 5 years has been intense and meaningful. A back and forth war with momentum constantly swinging both directions. It was a pleasure to see it happen again last night. 

My comment was based on how Coach lined up under center and try to pound the rock for 2 drives after the opening TD drive of the 2nd half. Waverly was having none of it and forced him to open the offense back up. I for one was definitely not comfortable with a 22 point lead. Especially with a quarter and a half to play. It was obvious that Waverly was going to score more times than not when they got the ball and I felt like we also had to do that to win the game. Lucky for us we were able to slip in a few big plays to extend drives and get a couple scores in the 2nd half. If not we wouldn't have held on to the lead.

Thirdly, I dont think Waverly's defense is nearly as bad as it's getting credit for. They tackled well. Alot better than we did. Our offense will give alot of good teams problems. It will take a pretty exceptional defense to shut it down. Aside from Davidson Academy I dont think you'll see another O as good as ours until you face Columbia Academy in the quarter finals. Plenty of time to get the D shored up before then. I will say that I'm anxious to see how the game with Riverside goes. I hear their defense is legit.  

Best wishes to the Waverly Tigers for a successful, championship season from us in Fairview. I'll be pulling for you from here on out. You can do it!  :thumb:

• Upvote 2