Fulton @ OR

SweetScience

Oak Ridge messed up not starting 14 vs Powell and see how he could do.I still think we blew a great chance to practice and get better.Because tonight I seen the same things hurt O.R. that has all yr.Herbert just cannot pass enuff to win big games.The defense has struggled to get to the qb and I was very shocked the coaches didn't  try to blitz more.Malone who looks 25 by the way was so good when he had time.It was amzing how bad he looked with a little bit of pressure.The diff in these teams was Fulton has got better every week and Oak Ridge has looked the same or worse the last 3 plus games.The play calling on offense was not good again for Oak Ridge.Too many plays that take forever to develop.Im just real disappointed in the offense and have been for 5 yrs.Offense has kept us from Cookeville and too many good skill guys to let that happen.Who knows but I think if 14 starts all yr and Booker plays a little RB/WR/Wildcat QB and gets more rest for D I think we are on another level right now.O well lets see if we can fix some things and win a playoff game.

• Upvote 1

Stillnum1, couldn't agree more with the plays taking too long to develop. Triple option is ok against most teams, but meet up with a team with as much or more speed and that extra second or so can spell doom for the play. And not bringing more pressure on Malone really hurt. Even the announcers continuously talked about Malone having all day to find receivers. And the fact that Fulton had to play 3 freshman on the oline and OR still couldn't get to him doesn't help.

• Like 1

It looked to me like they were trying to pressure Malone but just couldn't get to him. As for Booker and the sophomore, that's a real dilemma. I would want Booker running the option but the sophomore throwing the passes...not sure how to achieve that. How bad is Booker hurt? What did he hurt? Who are we likely to play?

40 minutes ago, catswild said:

It looked to me like they were trying to pressure Malone but just couldn't get to him. As for Booker and the sophomore, that's a real dilemma. I would want Booker running the option but the sophomore throwing the passes...not sure how to achieve that. How bad is Booker hurt? What did he hurt? Who are we likely to play?

We haven't been able to generate much pressure all year. I figured with TJ coming back that we would be able to, especially with them starting 3 freshman (If that's true, which I'm sure it is, that makes us look pretty bad considering we couldn't generate more pressure than that), but nope. I think #14 would do just fine running the offense if they decided to start him 1st game of the playoffs. He may not be quite as good as Booker running the option, but he isn't far behind, especially for a Sophomore. 

Looks like we will be playing either Rhea Co, Soddy Daisy, or even Catholic (I am hoping not them lol), but it will all depend upon how those games go tonight in that region. Booker's injury seems to have been his left shoulder. Right now nobody really knows his status for next week, it's all up in the air right now. 

13  status TBD.  Region 4 will be settled after tonight.  We will play the 3 seed.  Could be any of these teams.   It will be Rhea if Catholic beats LC and Soddy beats WV.  And both of those teams should win tonight.    

Division I, Class 5A, Region 4
  1 2 3 4
Knoxville Catholic wins, Rhea Co. wins, Walker Valley wins Knoxville Catholic Rhea Co. Lenoir City Soddy-Daisy
Cane Ridge wins, Knoxville Catholic wins, Walker Valley wins Knoxville Catholic Lenoir City Soddy-Daisy Rhea Co.
Knoxville Catholic wins, Soddy-Daisy wins Soddy-Daisy Knoxville Catholic Rhea Co. Lenoir City
Lenoir City wins Lenoir City Soddy-Daisy Knoxville Catholic Rhea Co.
Edited by oridgecat

49 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

We haven't been able to generate much pressure all year. I figured with TJ coming back that we would be able to, especially with them starting 3 freshman (If that's true, which I'm sure it is, that makes us look pretty bad considering we couldn't generate more pressure than that), but nope. I think #14 would do just fine running the offense if they decided to start him 1st game of the playoffs. He may not be quite as good as Booker running the option, but he isn't far behind, especially for a Sophomore. 

Looks like we will be playing either Rhea Co, Soddy Daisy, or even Catholic (I am hoping not them lol), but it will all depend upon how those games go tonight in that region. Booker's injury seems to have been his left shoulder. Right now nobody really knows his status for next week, it's all up in the air right now. 

Wow...from the way he got hit, I thought it was a leg or knee. I guess he landed on his shoulder and hurt it

45 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

13  status TBD.  Region 4 will be settled after tonight.  We will play the 3 seed.  Could be any of these teams.   It will be Rhea if Catholic beats LC and Soddy beats WV.  And both of those teams should win tonight.    

1 2 3 4
Knoxville Catholic wins, Rhea Co. wins, Walker Valley wins Knoxville Catholic Rhea Co. Lenoir City Soddy-Daisy
Cane Ridge wins, Knoxville Catholic wins, Walker Valley wins Knoxville Catholic Lenoir City Soddy-Daisy Rhea Co.
Knoxville Catholic wins, Soddy-Daisy wins Soddy-Daisy Knoxville Catholic Rhea Co. Lenoir City

Thank you...that settles that. Now, we just wait....

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

1 2 3 4

I think option number 3 is the most likely to happen. I think Catholic will beat LC and I don't see 0-9 Walker Valley upsetting SD. Even though Soddy's was down to their 3rd string QB in last weeks game. I think they say Chambers the starter would be back but the 2nd string QB is done with a broken leg. 

I think I will be making my 3rd straight trip to Oak Ridge next friday. 

As for last night, That game went about how I thought it would. I thought the officiating was not very good at all. Fulton was impressive especially knowing they had 3 freshmen starting on the O-line. Fulton's defense, especially the linebacking corp was very impressive. They got a lot of pressure and were in the backfield alot last night. 

The sophomore QB did an outstanding job coming in for Booker. Hopefully Booker's injury isn't too bad. I thought OR played alittle better first half this week. One thing I have noticed for both OR and Fulton is the kicking game could come into play in the playoffs, both were struggling last night.

Edited by Rhea Co.

4 minutes ago, Rhea Co. said:

I think option number 3 is the most likely to happen. I think Catholic will beat LC and I don't see 0-9 Walker Valley upsetting SD. Even though Soddy's was down to their 3rd string QB in last weeks game. I think they say Chambers the starter would be back but the 2nd string QB is done with a broken leg. 

I think I will be making my 3rd straight trip to Oak Ridge next friday. 

As for last night, That game went about how I thought it would. I thought the officiating was not very good at all. Fulton was impressive especially knowing they had 3 freshmen starting on the O-line. Fulton's defense, especially the linebacking corp was very impressive. They got a lot of pressure and were in the backfield alot last night. 

The sophomore QB did an outstanding job coming in for Booker. Hopefully Booker's injury isn't too bad. I thought OR played alittle better first half this week. One thing I have noticed for both OR and Fulton is the kicking game could come into play in the playoffs, both were struggling last night.

I’m both encouraged and discouraged by what I saw last night. I’m discouraged that we lost but encouraged that didn’t play nearly our best and we were still in position to tie the game in the final minutes. How good is your team?  Do you have your typical big and physical offensive line?

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

1 2 3 4

Soddy will not loose to Walker Valley - so OR will get the better seed ... as the # 2  ...  because they will be in bracket with the #1 seed from Region 4  which will be Soddy Daisy ... Fulton will be #1 seed on Region 3 and Knox Cath will be in that bracket  ... so KC and Fulton will have  to play before getting to  OR and OR should get thru that side of bracket fine ... so you got a break by finishing #2  in region  ...   

IMO - IMO - IMO (radio listener, tv watcher, highlights reviewer and occasional game attendee)

Offensive Coordinator lacks instinctive play calling ability, lacks ability to gets plays in on time and has a season of broken plays that make the stats look 'ok'. Bottom line, the Soph QB is the real deal and should have seen PT 2-3 games ago in preparation for Fulton and most certainly the playoffs. This entire season the O has had big plays but at least 85% of them were broken plays; that ain't going to cut it in the playoffs, ever. Time to play smart and for heavens sake, when the game is on the line...and the clock is eating away....get your call in OC?! Last, illegal formations back to back when the game is on the line....come on?! Bottom line, (IMO and doubt this would ever actually happen but I can dream) turn play calling over to the coach who runs the freshman squads (he took #14 and his band of freshman to an undefeated season last year) and has strong play calling instincts, the 'right fit' for the talent on the team.

The Defensive Coordinator has strong instincts and time and time again pulls out some 2nd half shutouts that no team in the State could muster given the circumstances; being down 1-2 scores at the half. He has a line that is undersized but manages to make big plays, a strong LB crew-best around, and decent corners/safeties. Bottom line, his kids respect him and his play calling and has the talent to coach at the next level or a HC job at a larger program.

Ideal scenario for the playoffs - OR starts 14 and all the sudden OR is an entirely new team. If they practice this week with 14 taking reps with the starters OR can go deep into the playoffs if not make it to State Championship.

Bottom line, very proud of this OR team and proud to be an OR fan. Those kids play with heart, just wish they had a better OC.

• Like 1