Repairing the Memphis stereotype and more sportsmanship.

1WAREAGLE

I am new to CoachT and have noticed the stereotype that has been placed on Memphis football. I truly respect and admire the football programs in the Huntington, Milan, Jackson, and surrounding areas.

This tension has to be dismantled. Our boys from all of Tennessee go off to college and become brothers on the same college teams. Why is it that in high school those bonds can't be the same?

Prep would love to spend more time during the spring and possibly the summer to put away with the tension. Football is all some of us have.

I have played against teams like Martin WestView all the way to Alcoa. We have worked out together,laughed, had great times,but during the match up it was business and battle.

To see adults talk this way about another program amazes me especially a 2nd year program.

I don't think you realize just how much our local teams dislike each other. Most of the kids that I know who hated other teams kids didn't make friends with them until after high school ended if at all. Yes the Memphis schools have the stereotype of being undisciplined and quit if you play smash mouth football against them. If you wanted to look through the Dresden threads the same was said about us this year and it was 100% true. The only way to shut up most of the T posters is to put them in the basketball gym when you play them in football playoffs. 

I wish Prep the best this season but LC, Cornersville and Huntingdon are the class of the field for west TN. I'll be a huge prep fan if you play Huntingdon though. lol 

It’s going to happen. Especially on here. But it’s not just memphis teams that are done that way. Every team gets it on here. If your team isn’t discipline, make them discipline it starts in the spring and summer. As far as not being physical  most teams in Memphis aren’t. Especially in 1a, they are athletic teams. You can’t change your team if they aren’t physical then they just aren’t you can work on hitting and tackling and blocking in practice. But you have to play with the hand your dealt and be a spread team that throws a lot. That’s okay. Nothing is wrong with it.  Normally those teams don’t match up well against physical pound the ball teams but if you can’t do that then you just can’t. No one in huntingdon for example cares if you say  they can’t throw and all they can do is run the ball. Because that’s them. They are built to run the ball. Most Memphis teams are small up front. But like the other guy said when you find a rival school it’s not nice on here or the field. Lake county absolutely hates union city. Played them for years. Had great games with them. Have gotten blown out by them. There aren’t many from lake county that likes union city period. It comes with the territory. It’s not just the Memphis teams. 

I think Memphis schools get a bad rep because most of the people in upper west TN have only seen 1A and 2A Memphis teams play.  I know 10-15 teams in Memphis that could beat any team outside of Memphis in West TN.  but teams outside of Memphis will only schedule certain teams during the season.  The myth that most coaches in Memphis know about teams in rural areas is that everyone is good, well dicipline, and well coached.  Yes it is some good coaches but lets be honest maybe ten teams from 1A to 5A are legit,then you have a whole bunch of subpar programs.

Edited by Tigers38

Yeah bigger Memphis teams are good. But you can’t compare 5a school to 1a it’s almost certain that a five a team would beat a 1a team. But as far in their classifications I don’t think there are ten that would beat teams in west tn. I would say there are more than ten. I wouldn’t say everyone below those teams are subpar though. I can’t speak for everyone else but  when I say a Memphis team I’m talking about our classification. I’m not worried about what the 4a or 5a school are doing. We will not see them. You can be disciplined and well coached and not be very good. And you can also be good and not be disciplined or well coached. 

1 hour ago, Tigers38 said:

I think Memphis schools get a bad rep because most of the people in upper west TN have only seen 1A and 2A Memphis teams play.  I know 10-15 teams in Memphis that could beat any team outside of Memphis in West TN.  but teams outside of Memphis will only schedule certain teams during the season.  The myth that most coaches in Memphis know about teams in rural areas is that everyone is good, well dicipline, and well coached.  Yes it is some good coaches but lets be honest maybe ten teams from 1A to 5A are legit,then you have a whole bunch of subpar programs.

A quality 1A or 2A program is possible in Memphis. However, coaching in 1A or 2A in Memphis is night and day different then coaching a 1A or 2A program from rural west Tennessee. Fairley is currently building a quality 2A program. Freedom Prep is in it's 2nd year in 1A. They are building a quality program. Hopefully, they will be able to compete with the rural west Tennessee schools soon enough. 

But ... it's different. Man ... is it different.

Edited by kwc

26 minutes ago, kwc said:

A quality 1A or 2A program is possible in Memphis. However, coaching in 1A or 2A in Memphis is night and day different then coaching a 1A or 2A program from rural west Tennessee. Fairley is currently building a quality 2A program. Freedom Prep is in it's 2nd year in 1A. They are building a quality program. Hopefully, they will be able to compete with the rural west Tennessee schools soon enough. 

But ... it's different. Man ... is it different.

Everyone agrees on that! kwc I have always respected your knowledge of Memphis and we are both tiger fans! I couldn’t imagine having to field a 1A team...every time you get a dominant young player either they move and have a zoning change or someone is recruiting! I love the city and it’s my 2nd home...hopefully there will be some bright years ahead! But it’s living in poverty...trust me I see it every day in my lil home county 

There has been plenty of smack talk from Memphis over the years. So to direct it towards rual teams is wrong. As it was said earlier these rual teams don’t like each other until after high school. Plus I remember Just a few years ago how Memphis had their parade to celebrate all of the Memphis teams state championships. But to get on here and post it to rub noses in it what would you expect. Plus when we all new the 2A title was gained illegally. Yep I said It. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tigers38 said:

You said you know 10-15 teams in Memphis that can beat any team in West TN outside of Memphis. There is not 10-15 teams in Memphis that can beat Dyersburg, Covington and Henry Co. No way. 

57 minutes ago, shockernation said:

Everyone agrees on that! kwc I have always respected your knowledge of Memphis and we are both tiger fans! I couldn’t imagine having to field a 1A team...every time you get a dominant young player either they move and have a zoning change or someone is recruiting! I love the city and it’s my 2nd home...hopefully there will be some bright years ahead! But it’s living in poverty...trust me I see it every day in my lil home county 

It’s going to get scary if some of these small schools can keep their guys instead of them transfer to a 6a or a suburb or a private school. Douglass has some good size and ability a lot of it really young. If they can keep that bunch together and build on it they will be a good team. 

2 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You said you know 10-15 teams in Memphis that can beat any team in West TN outside of Memphis. There is not 10-15 teams in Memphis that can beat Dyersburg, Covington and Henry Co. No way. 

Yea I think there may be 10 such teams in Memphis who could. I wouldn’t favor all of them against HC or Covington. But 15 is preposterous.