1A semi final Greenback @ Whitwell

orngnblk

10 minutes ago, Tiger1988 said:

That's it ladykee. As a realist, if Petty is out, we probably lose this game. If we have to play next week without our QB, we will show up and play the hand we are dealt. Hope you didn't take that last post as disrespectful because it wasn't intended that way. I just meant to say that if 23 plays, Whitwell more than likely loses.

Not disrespectful at all! I like realists that speak truth whether it hurts or not. No sugarcoaters in this household. Whitwell is solid and most teams won’t beat them without their best. Wish we had all bullets in the gun but that was not the case. 

What about GB’s #55! Wow what a game...he wreaked havoc out there and is underrated just because his size but I’d put him up against anybody. He should repeat as Allstate and is possibly the best two way Center/DL in GB history. Leading tackler and just smart. He doesn’t take plays off and makes no excuses. He’ll be playing baseball at the next level and is a very skilled catcher and pretty darn good pitcher. Big bat too! 

Another shout to #36 undersized DE but more fight and heart than most. Kid ain’t afraid of nothing and expects no pat on the back and you won’t ever see him sulking. He’s a true Cherokee and leads by example! Hard runner too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ImaSavage said:

Lol reality is what happened, the woulda coulda shoulda game isn’t reality ..

True but don’t act like Whitwell went out and beat a 100% GB team and that they are the better team. GB just didn’t execute. And if the field goals were kicked, GB would’ve won regardless. Reality is Whitwell won, yes. But not because they just went out and smashed us. They survived and barely escaped. 

8 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

True but don’t act like Whitwell went out and beat a 100% GB team and that they are the better team. GB just didn’t execute. And if the field goals were kicked, GB would’ve won regardless. Reality is Whitwell won, yes. But not because they just went out and smashed us. They survived and barely escaped. 

Which is all that is needed. 23 is easily the best WR I've seen play this year and honestly probably the best player, but you play with what's dealt. Hoping for a speedy recovery because hes too fun to watch!

Petty is a very good player indeed.  One of the greatest?  Probably not, but it really doesn't matter. He was great last night when it counted.  Also Wingo and Stewart. 

This Whitwell team and Greenback team along with SP are very close.  The thing that sets Whitwell apart were the intangibles (the it factor) and the fact they have at least 5 all state caliber type playmakers.

This back n forth about who had what and what each team was missing is part of the game. Football is a game of attrition.  

Football is also a game of having to adapt once an injury occurs or having to adjust to your opponent. Last night Whitwell was very comfortable in their Wildcat package. It's really what they do best in my opinion. 

Seemed to me Greenback wasn't very comfortable in throwing the ball last night. They ran their own wildcat package with Hanley lined up in the H spot.

Whitwell adapted better last night when their qb went down. But like I said they are very comfortable in that Wildcat package. 

Greenback had a couple opportunities to maybe try a FG but once you pass the first one up then your just chasing points and coaching dictates passing up the next.

It was a great game.  So was the game the week before.  We left multiple points on the field.  It wasn't meant to be.  Those are the intangibles. When Whitwell needed a play all year someone has stepped up and made it. That's what the better team does. 

Just my take.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Southtowner said:

Petty is a very good player indeed.  One of the greatest?  Probably not, but it really doesn't matter. He was great last night when it counted.  Also Wingo and Stewart. 

This Whitwell team and Greenback team along with SP are very close.  The thing that sets Whitwell apart were the intangibles (the it factor) and the fact they have at least 5 all state caliber type playmakers.

This back n forth about who had what and what each team was missing is part of the game. Football is a game of attrition.  

Football is also a game of having to adapt once an injury occurs or having to adjust to your opponent. Last night Whitwell was very comfortable in their Wildcat package. It's really what they do best in my opinion. 

Seemed to me Greenback wasn't very comfortable in throwing the ball last night. They ran their own wildcat package with Hanley lined up in the H spot.

Whitwell adapted better last night when their qb went down. But like I said they are very comfortable in that Wildcat package. 

Greenback had a couple opportunities to maybe try a FG but once you pass the first one up then your just chasing points and coaching dictates passing up the next.

It was a great game.  So was the game the week before.  We left multiple points on the field.  It wasn't meant to be.  Those are the intangibles. When Whitwell needed a play all year someone has stepped up and made it. That's what the better team does. 

Just my take.  

Correct on all accounts. You guys will be the team to beat next year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Just my take.  

Heard them talk to Petty after the game, was really impressed  . Kid is a gamer and seems humble in doing so. Best is a stretch by a mile.  I've seen some GREAT one's over the years.  That being said ,he'd be an impact player on most teams in the state.

All the talk about the Greenback receiver, I'd say this kid has d1 written all over him.  But like Southtower said ,a kid on the sidelines can't beat you.

47 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Just my take.  

I agree with your take lol! Still frustrating but it is what it is and Whitwell is worthy of going for that Gold ball. They are a very respectable team and I can relate to how much this means to them. I am looking forward to seeing what Cornersville does when Petty & Wingo are coming at them.

36 minutes ago, pujo said:

Heard them talk to Petty after the game, was really impressed  . Kid is a gamer and seems humble in doing so. Best is a stretch by a mile.  I've seen some GREAT one's over the years.  That being said ,he'd be an impact player on most teams in the state.

All the talk about the Greenback receiver, I'd say this kid has d1 written all over him.  But like Southtower said ,a kid on the sidelines can't beat you.

Yep and standing on the sidelines watching your team fight and you can’t do anything is gut wrenching. He’s got another year but he’s not thinking about that at the moment...just wishing he could help his teammates out. We weren’t able to adjust enough in 2 short weeks in our passing game which was our bread and butter but proud the guys showed the ability to run to have a chance against a pretty good run defense.

44 minutes ago, pujo said:

And him being on the sideline is why we weren’t comfortable passing the ball. Easy to see because that was the most we ran the football all year. When it came down to it, Whitwell’s best players were able to play. GB’s transferred and got hurt. And that’s why we are sitting at home. Because they had the better players on the field and won the game.