1A semi final Greenback @ Whitwell

orngnblk

5 hours ago, rtl112 said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  I know he's the head coach and made the decision but why is what I was saying. Hmmm. Lol.  I didn't see the game,  I was just wondering.  Plus, I was just be sarcastic.

I get sarcasm, obviously you missed the sarcasm in my post in response to yours lol. 

Just a lot of folks seem to forget the pre Ryan Era of GB. Before this staff showed up they were, well, like oneida to be blunt. Made it to the show once, almost always solid but rarely truly good, typically a first to third round team then on to basketball. All of a sudden the semi's are a let down after 3 consecutive show appearances and a gold ball last year. Sorry to say but it's kind of like listeningto a rich kid complain about trying to decide which car to drive to school when you spent the morning waiting for ole yellar in the rain :roflolk: 

Not all the GB folks have forgotten where they come from and especially how easily it could return at some point in the future. I know that but sure seems like a lot of second guessing this staff given their body of work. Been a lot of talk about this senior classes record and achievements, very rightly so I will add. Anyone know what Coach Ryans record is at GB during his tenure, bet it's pretty impressive as well, especially the last 5 or 6 years. I'll hang up and listen to the panels response :geek:

7 minutes ago, crow said:

I get sarcasm, obviously you missed the sarcasm in my post in response to yours lol. 

Just a lot of folks seem to forget the pre Ryan Era of GB. Before this staff showed up they were, well, like oneida to be blunt. Made it to the show once, almost always solid but rarely truly good, typically a first to third round team then on to basketball. All of a sudden the semi's are a let down after 3 consecutive show appearances and a gold ball last year. Sorry to say but it's kind of like listeningto a rich kid complain about trying to decide which car to drive to school when you spent the morning waiting for ole yellar in the rain :roflolk: 

Not all the GB folks have forgotten where they come from and especially how easily it could return at some point in the future. I know that but sure seems like a lot of second guessing this staff given their body of work. Been a lot of talk about this senior classes record and achievements, very rightly so I will add. Anyone know what Coach Ryans record is at GB during his tenure, bet it's pretty impressive as well, especially the last 5 or 6 years. I'll hang up and listen to the panels response :geek:

Good post. Coach Ryan is a good coach. He knows the game inside-out. He might as well coach every aspect of the game from defense to offense to special teams. He just knows the game. But, not to take anything away from him, he did have very high caliber players during his coaching tenure. He’s coached some very good players. Not just because I played for him either. But regardless he is a good coach. And yes we have been to state the past 3 years but that’s the difference between us GB fans. We really expect to be good. Years past, they were playing to get past the 3rd round. They weren’t playing to go win it all. That’s what GB expects now. Put the best players on the field in the right position, coach the right way, and give everything you have and go win a gold ball. If that’s not everyone’s mentality, then you have a losing mentality. We just expect more. With the caliber players we have, we have the right to be upset that we don’t have another shot at a gold ball. But that’s how it goes. You have to go earn it. And we didn’t earn it this past Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moonie said:

In years past there weren’t 9 classes of football. 

Ryan didn’t win gold until Tssaa added more classes 6 public and three private’s.  Good coach and good players the level of competition is not what it used to be now with 9 classes. 

I agree to many classes but watered down or not Ryan and GB are getting done what few if any others are doing. 

2 hours ago, cherokee23 said:

Good post. Coach Ryan is a good coach. He knows the game inside-out. He might as well coach every aspect of the game from defense to offense to special teams. He just knows the game. But, not to take anything away from him, he did have very high caliber players during his coaching tenure. He’s coached some very good players. Not just because I played for him either. But regardless he is a good coach. And yes we have been to state the past 3 years but that’s the difference between us GB fans. We really expect to be good. Years past, they were playing to get past the 3rd round. They weren’t playing to go win it all. That’s what GB expects now. Put the best players on the field in the right position, coach the right way, and give everything you have and go win a gold ball. If that’s not everyone’s mentality, then you have a losing mentality. We just expect more. With the caliber players we have, we have the right to be upset that we don’t have another shot at a gold ball. But that’s how it goes. You have to go earn it. And we didn’t earn it this past Friday. 

Easy there young fellar, just because GB has reached their level of success doesn't make the mentality they have special. Everyone thinks they're world beaters until somebody proves them wrong. The GB teams of the past I'm sure weren't striving for 1 and done unless it was a 4-6 team just glad to get to dance at all. Plenty of teams with as much or more expectations, pride and historical success than GB, just not as recent. All I'm saying is Ryan has done a lot at GB especially looking where he started. Not been that long ago GB was not THE name in 1A, they are now. For him to be getting beat up over Monday morning quarterbacks thinking they have all the answers 2 days later after the outcome is known. Whistles are are a lot heavier than people think. Meaning it looks like the easiest job in the world to most when in reality most couldn't successfully run a practice. Either way GB isn't "MY" team so I guess it isn't my concern. Truth be told if y'all run him off it would probably benefit "my" team. So, yeah everybody keep ragging on Ryan, great plan :thumb:

2 minutes ago, crow said:

Easy there young fellar, just because GB has reached their level of success doesn't make the mentality they have special. Everyone thinks they're world beaters until somebody proves them wrong. The GB teams of the past I'm sure weren't striving for 1 and done unless it was a 4-6 team just glad to get to dance at all. Plenty of teams with as much or more expectations, pride and historical success than GB, just not as recent. All I'm saying is Ryan has done a lot at GB especially looking where he started. Not been that long ago GB was not THE name in 1A, they are now. For him to be getting beat up over Monday morning quarterbacks thinking they have all the answers 2 days later after the outcome is known. Whistles are are a lot heavier than people think. Meaning it looks like the easiest job in the world to most when in reality most couldn't successfully run a practice. Either way GB isn't "MY" team so I guess it isn't my concern. Truth be told if y'all run him off it would probably benefit "my" team. So, yeah everybody keep ragging on Ryan, great plan :thumb:

I believe you’re seeing it the wrong way. I don’t think anybody is “dogging” Coach Ryan for his decisions. At the time, the first field goal wouldn’t have done us any good. I’m just saying from the score standpoint, the 3 field goals should’ve been kicked. Did it cost us the game? No. The players on the field didn’t do what it took to win. And I’m not singling out GB fans’ mentaility. I’m saying that if anyone plays the game not to win it all, that’s playing with a losing mentality. GB fans expect to win. There’s nothing wrong with that. I think some are taking these posts the wrong way about the decisions made Friday. And believe me, I’m no Monday morning QB but I know what all is put in on a daily basis from the coaches and players standpoint. And if you have the mentality that most of these GB players and coaches have, you’ll be a winner in the end. Doesn’t mean they’re on their high horse, it means they are playing with a winning mentality. If anyone has a problem with players, coaches, and fans having that kind of mentality, regardless of how successful we’ve been, you weren’t cut out for this anyways. OH AND DID I MENTION THAT COACH RYAN IS A GOOD COACH? 

35 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

I believe you’re seeing it the wrong way. I don’t think anybody is “dogging” Coach Ryan for his decisions. At the time, the first field goal wouldn’t have done us any good. I’m just saying from the score standpoint, the 3 field goals should’ve been kicked. Did it cost us the game? No. The players on the field didn’t do what it took to win. And I’m not singling out GB fans’ mentaility. I’m saying that if anyone plays the game not to win it all, that’s playing with a losing mentality. GB fans expect to win. There’s nothing wrong with that. I think some are taking these posts the wrong way about the decisions made Friday. And believe me, I’m no Monday morning QB but I know what all is put in on a daily basis from the coaches and players standpoint. And if you have the mentality that most of these GB players and coaches have, you’ll be a winner in the end. Doesn’t mean they’re on their high horse, it means they are playing with a winning mentality. If anyone has a problem with players, coaches, and fans having that kind of mentality, regardless of how successful we’ve been, you weren’t cut out for this anyways. OH AND DID I MENTION THAT COACH RYAN IS A GOOD COACH? 

There's the problem! "The players on the field didn't do what it took to win", "… I know what all is put in on a daily basis from the coaches and players...", and " …if you have the mentality that most of these GB players and coaches have, you'll be a winner in the end". All three quotes take only GB's input into consideration, but the outcome of the game was decided between two teams, not just the 'kees. Whitwell's kids wanted this just as much (probably more), their coaches prepared just as diligently, and both believed in each others (coaches and players)  ability to get it done, just as GB did. Ryan believed in his team to get those first downs, and I'm sure that the kids believed that they would too, they weren't stopped because of a "bad" decision to go for them, but because Whitwell stopped them.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, moonie said:

In years past there weren’t 9 classes of football. 

Ryan didn’t win gold until Tssaa added more classes 6 public and three private’s.  Good coach and good players the level of competition is not what it used to be now with 9 classes. 

Ryan was playing HS ball when it was 3 classes and was in college playing when it changed.So yes Einstein you are correct Ryan didnt win when it was less than 9 classes.The other people before him excluding Satterfield didnt either.The ones who took over after 08 tried to make it into a math equation instead of letting the boys play ball and putting the kids on the field to win.Too much ego and not enough football intelligence.JMHO!:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

What was his first year as HC? 2012? 

2 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Ryan was playing HS ball when it was 3 classes and was in college playing when it changed.So yes Einstein you are correct Ryan didnt win when it was less than 9 classes.The other people before him excluding Satterfield didnt either.The ones who took over after 08 tried to make it into a math equation instead of letting the boys play ball and putting the kids on the field to win.Too much ego and not enough football intelligence.JMHO!:rolleyes:

On 11/28/2018 at 6:00 PM, crow said:

No, after I quoted you, I noticed your comment was probably sarcasm.  No pun intended.

Edited by rtl112