Oak Ridge Football 2019

ORDT

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Anybody know why the banquet has been moved up a month to Dec. 13?  It has always been in January.  Also, does anybody know where Jacob Adams 126 tackles on the year places him on the all time leading tackler list?  I know he was chasing Coach James Mitchell's record for all time leading tackler.  

Jacob Adams had 351 tackles soph-senior year (98, 127, 126). That places him 4th all time career tackles without freshman stats for his varsity play. With freshman year varsity play included, he might be 2nd or 3rd. 

4 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Anybody know why the banquet has been moved up a month to Dec. 13?  It has always been in January.  Also, does anybody know where Jacob Adams 126 tackles on the year places him on the all time leading tackler list?  I know he was chasing Coach James Mitchell's record for all time leading tackler.  

The Freshman Banquet is December 19, 2019.

The Varsity Banquet is January 29, 2020.

• Thanks 1

Right now Central is getting more athletes than Oak Ridge, thus their state runs, but that changes, with Powell better and Fulton down, he has to keep the kids coming to Central, if Fulton and Powell both are up, it could hurt some.  Coach Rosser has done a remarkable job at Central because he has pumped new energy into that program and as Packer said, "closed Broadway"  So, talent wise, right now Central is the better job, but as an overall job, Oak Ridge is a better job, this year short on skill talent, was an off year, but things should be better next season and there is a wave of new talent coming from Robertsville too.  Oak Ridge might have made the semis two out of the last three years had Catholic been where it is now, and who knows, may have won a title, but that's the way it goes.  Best of luck to Central next Friday, don't know much about Summitt (I think) but its good to get to Cookeville.

On 11/30/2019 at 6:08 PM, chsbobcat09 said:

The reason I said it last time and this time is because I actually speak to him daily unlike everyone else on this message board. When I tell people that I guess they think I’m joking but believe what you want. Btw, Enlighten me on how Oak Ridge is the better job “all the way around?” Last time OR won State was? Last time they made the semis was? Sorry but I’m taking any answers from stats from 40 years ago either. I’m sorry but right now, Central is the better job and he’s continuing to build our program. Wether we win state this year or not doesn’t matter, the process of continuing to build our program never ends. 

U can tell me he is sitting beside you right now and it still don't change nothing on my end but forget about how good who knows who.It don't matter right now.But I think Oak Ridge is a better job in every way.You wanna talk about last time we won state like that means we haven't been good since then.When was last time Central had a really good team pre Rossier.I don't feel like looking it up but I only remember blistering Central in the last 15 or so yrs when we played.Oak Ridge has been good enuff to win state plenty of times since we won but for different reasons hasn't got it done,You act like Central has been a powerhouse over the last 15 or so yrs.You made it to semis because you had a cakewalk in 2017.Oak Ridge would've blasted yall in 2017 so what does making it to semis mean.And besides this yr when Oak Ridge was really down when have you had more talent than Oak Ridge.More money,loaded with young talent,Upgrades to an already great place to play.I cant think of any reason you would wanna coach at Central over Oak Ridge unless you went there.

Edited by STILLNUM1

On 11/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, STILLNUM1 said:

You said the same thing last time this come up.Oak Ridge is a better job all the way around.Unless Rossier has changed his mind since the summer I know he we come back.But it looks like we will never know because a lot of People on the Oak Ridge side think Gaddis will get to retire when he wants.I think the longer it goes the more comfortable Rossier will get and the harder it would be for him to leave.Rossier is a great man who is great to be around and Im not gonna say any more about it because its not right to him and don't matter right now.But good luck next week.

I'm not sure about the pay situation but I'm sure they "take care" of Rosser in some way. If Rosser is smart, and I'm sure that he is, coming to Oak Ridge would not be a wise move for two reasons. First, the expectations are MUCH higher and the fans are rarely, if ever, satisfied, no matter what. Second, and most important, especially when coupled with the first reason, the talent is MUCH greater at Central. Just watch them on TV and you'll see that this is true. Yes, OR has Jackson but Central has much more speed every year, much more overall talent, and many more linemen. If he's smart, he doesn't come here. In addition, it's much harder to recruit kids/families to come to Oak Ridge when they have to pay THOUSANDS for tuition. There's no such problem in Knox County,

On 12/2/2019 at 2:05 PM, oridgecat said:

Pretty sure that would be the freshman banquet. They always have that sometime in November or December. I've never seen the varsity banquet this early, but I'm just guessing.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:24 PM, Cactus Jack said:

Right now Central is getting more athletes than Oak Ridge, thus their state runs, but that changes, with Powell better and Fulton down, he has to keep the kids coming to Central, if Fulton and Powell both are up, it could hurt some.  Coach Rosser has done a remarkable job at Central because he has pumped new energy into that program and as Packer said, "closed Broadway"  So, talent wise, right now Central is the better job, but as an overall job, Oak Ridge is a better job, this year short on skill talent, was an off year, but things should be better next season and there is a wave of new talent coming from Robertsville too.  Oak Ridge might have made the semis two out of the last three years had Catholic been where it is now, and who knows, may have won a title, but that's the way it goes.  Best of luck to Central next Friday, don't know much about Summitt (I think) but its good to get to Cookeville.

You're right on target.

We have one of the most loyal and supportive fan bases you will find anywhere.  High expectations is part of the job at OR.  The fans want to compete for championships. If a coach viewed that as a bad thing or an unrealistic expectation, then OR is clearly not a place where a guy would want to come coach. 

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

U can tell me he is sitting beside you right now and it still don't change nothing on my end but forget about how good who knows who.It don't matter right now.But I think Oak Ridge is a better job in every way.You wanna talk about last time we won state like that means we haven't been good since then.When was last time Central had a really good team pre Rossier.I don't feel like looking it up but I only remember blistering Central in the last 15 or so yrs when we played.Oak Ridge has been good enuff to win state plenty of times since we won but for different reasons hasn't got it done,You act like Central has been a powerhouse over the last 15 or so yrs.You made it to semis because you had a cakewalk in 2017.Oak Ridge would've blasted yall in 2017 so what does making it to semis mean.And besides this yr when Oak Ridge was really down when have you had more talent than Oak Ridge.More money,loaded with young talent,Upgrades to an already great place to play.I cant think of any reason you would wanna coach at Central over Oak Ridge unless you went there. 

From 2007 until about 2014, Central wasn't much. Joel Helton was a lame duck and "retired" after the 2010 season, which was followed by the miserable Joe Hassell years. But before all of that, they were a contender just about every year under Helton and have been under Rosser since his 2nd year. It's a shame that the only time Central and OR have played in the past two decades were the six meetings between 2009 and 2014, which were some of Central's worst teams in my lifetime.

Back in the Region 3-4A days, it always came down to Central and Maryville. Anyone who has followed high school football here for the past 2-3 decades knows the quality of football that Central has played over that period of time, and Bryson Rosser deserves a lot of credit for getting Central back to that level of football.

That said, I standby my earlier statement that OR is still a better job than Central in a lot of ways. But to your point about OR being "good enuff to win state plenty of times," if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, well, you probably know the rest...

3 hours ago, bonkers said:

I'm not sure about the pay situation but I'm sure they "take care" of Rosser in some way. If Rosser is smart, and I'm sure that he is, coming to Oak Ridge would not be a wise move for two reasons. First, the expectations are MUCH higher and the fans are rarely, if ever, satisfied, no matter what. Second, and most important, especially when coupled with the first reason, the talent is MUCH greater at Central. Just watch them on TV and you'll see that this is true. Yes, OR has Jackson but Central has much more speed every year, much more overall talent, and many more linemen. If he's smart, he doesn't come here. In addition, it's much harder to recruit kids/families to come to Oak Ridge when they have to pay THOUSANDS for tuition. There's no such problem in Knox County, 

I'm sure that they take care of him in some way, but let's be real - coaching supplements in Knox County are a joke. KCS can do absolutely nothing financially to attract (or retain) top-tier coaches, just like they can do nothing financially to attract top educators. But OR can (and does).

46 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

From 2007 until about 2014, Central wasn't much. Joel Helton was a lame duck and "retired" after the 2010 season, which was followed by the miserable Joe Hassell years. But before all of that, they were a contender just about every year under Helton and have been under Rosser since his 2nd year. It's a shame that the only time Central and OR have played in the past two decades were the six meetings between 2009 and 2014, which were some of Central's worst teams in my lifetime.

Back in the Region 3-4A days, it always came down to Central and Maryville. Anyone who has followed high school football here for the past 2-3 decades knows the quality of football that Central has played over that period of time, and Bryson Rosser deserves a lot of credit for getting Central back to that level of football.

That said, I standby my earlier statement that OR is still a better job than Central in a lot of ways. But to your point about OR being "good enuff to win state plenty of times," if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, well, you probably know the rest...

Yep, we had the talent to a few times in the 90s, but Riverdale was just a powerhouse back then similar to what Oakland is now, but probably even better because the competition as a whole was stiffer in those days IMO. We should’ve won it in 2005 too (gotta give credit to Ravenwood though) but didn’t.  The past few years we had a great chance to if Catholic had of been in the private’s where they belonged all along. But, the bottom line is we didn’t get it done any of those years, so the point is moot.

Edited by SweetScience

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I'm sure that they take care of him in some way, but let's be real - coaching supplements in Knox County are a joke. KCS can do absolutely nothing financially to attract (or retain) top-tier coaches, just like they can do nothing financially to attract top educators. But OR can (and does).

Huge difference in both teacher/administrative pay and coaching supplements. No comparison. Oak Ridge City Schools are far superior to Knox County Schools there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2