3A Title Game - Alcoa vs Covington

CHARGERFAN

5 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

Wouldn’t go there just yet. Covington is a worthy opponent. Alcoa’s offense hasn’t been clicking since the AE game. This isn’t the same team offensively that beat Murvul earlier in the season. Will take another team effort to get the win!

Well that makes 2 of us....our offense has been having troubles of their own for several weeks now. We’ve lost a couple of key linemen and are apparently not confident in shotgun anymore. Our defense has been bailing us out as of late. I hope the offense gets it figured out by Saturday!

Alcoa: 14-0

Covington: 14-0

What a lineup for the 3A Championship game. Alcoa has a ton of championships and deservedly so. Covington plays for the Gold Ball for the sixth time. We've been always a bridesmaid, never a bride. But, one of these times we're going to break through and bring that Gold Ball home to Covington. Is this the year?

Alcoa has the advantage of a deep bench. Covington plays some guys both ways. But, you can only put 11 guys on the field at a time. 

From what I read on here, Alcoa did have some trouble with Upperman. Covington definitely had trouble with Stratford. Who can right the ship and be ready to go on Saturday?

I have a question. Does Alcoa play on grass or turf at home? Covington played Stratford in a mud hole, as the playoffs destroyed our nice grass sod. Last year our team traveled to practice on some turf fields ahead of the championship, to give our guys a feel for turf. I'll bet we will do so again. What I wonder is whether Alcoa practices on grass or turf?

11 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Alcoa: 14-0

Covington: 14-0

What a lineup for the 3A Championship game. Alcoa has a ton of championships and deservedly so. Covington plays for the Gold Ball for the sixth time. We've been always a bridesmaid, never a bride. But, one of these times we're going to break through and bring that Gold Ball home to Covington. Is this the year?

Alcoa has the advantage of a deep bench. Covington plays some guys both ways. But, you can only put 11 guys on the field at a time. 

From what I read on here, Alcoa did have some trouble with Upperman. Covington definitely had trouble with Stratford. Who can right the ship and be ready to go on Saturday?

I have a question. Does Alcoa play on grass or turf at home? Covington played Stratford in a mud hole, as the playoffs destroyed our nice grass sod. Last year our team traveled to practice on some turf fields ahead of the championship, to give our guys a feel for turf. I'll bet we will do so again. What I wonder is whether Alcoa practices on grass or turf?

Alcoa plays and practices on turf. Got turf after the 2013 season.

Edited by Throwdeslant

6 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

Alcoa plays and practices on turf. Got turf after the 2013 season.

That's really nice to have turf! One would think it would have to be a small advantage when playing in Cookeville if your home field is also turf. It's just so dang expensive. Most booster clubs could not even begin to think about installing one as it cost upwards of $800,000. You need that one super-rich booster or some NFL alumni to get one it seems. 

5 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

That's really nice to have turf! One would think it would have to be a small advantage when playing in Cookeville if your home field is also turf. It's just so dang expensive. Most booster clubs could not even begin to think about installing one as it cost upwards of $800,000. You need that one super-rich booster or some NFL alumni to get one it seems. 

Agree! Community support and tax dollars went a long way to provide the turf. :thumb:

4 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Uh.....excuse me.... would y'all mind discussing Upperman vs Alcoa in your own thread and not hijack this one, please.

I agree. Covington made it to the championship and has earned the right to their own thread. This will be a good game . I always go for the team that beat my team. Having said that, good luck Covington. You have your hands full.

20 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

I agree. Covington made it to the championship and has earned the right to their own thread. This will be a good game . I always go for the team that beat my team. Having said that, good luck Covington. You have your hands full.

Oh yea, we are fully aware of the task set before us! I just grateful that Upperman and AE have made them appear to be somewhat human. We played with them last year for 3 1/2 quarters, but I know a year can make a lot of difference and they appear to be even stronger. After attending 14 games, I still can't tell if Covington this year is better than the team they had last. Earlier in the season, I would've said the offense looks more efficient, however, the past 5 weeks or so they haven't been mowing over people and at times seem fairly ineffective. I feel like we are missing that deep threat that we had in Winfrey that helped us so much during our run last year. Also, I would have thought that our defense would be lacking compared to last season with the loses of Booker, Lewis, and Toliver. However, these guys have really showed up and have continued to get better and are looking as solid as any. 

2 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Oh yea, we are fully aware of the task set before us! I just grateful that Upperman and AE have made them appear to be somewhat human. We played with them last year for 3 1/2 quarters, but I know a year can make a lot of difference and they appear to be even stronger. After attending 14 games, I still can't tell if Covington this year is better than the team they had last. Earlier in the season, I would've said the offense looks more efficient, however, the past 5 weeks or so they haven't been mowing over people and at times seem fairly ineffective. I feel like we are missing that deep threat that we had in Winfrey that helped us so much during our run last year. Also, I would have thought that our defense would be lacking compared to last season with the loses of Booker, Lewis, and Toliver. However, these guys have really showed up and have continued to get better and are looking as solid as any. 

I remember watching you guys last year in Cookeville and was surprised by how physical you were. That is what is neede to beat Alcoa. No way that a finesse team can beat them. I think you guys will have a good shot if you are as physical and fast as last year.