West Tn Class A

Intense

31 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

I disagree. I think last years team was better

I'm not dissing last year's team at Greenfield, but up until this point compared to last year....Greenfield's schedule this year has been twice as difficult. If they hadn't scheduled Arlington or played SS twice, they'd have only 1 loss if they kept the other teams on there from last year. I think GC is a lot better this year compared to last year too. GC and Greenfield are the top two in the West. 

1 hour ago, BullShark said:

Spot on here.  From what I have seen so far, it is Greenfield and Gibson County then a huge gap to the others that you mentioned.  Upsets can happen but I think Greenfield and Gibson are the most likely reps for West Tn to the state tourney.  Gleason and TCA have great guards but lack a post presence to play through, Dresden lacks depth (and players in general so far this year) and Peabody and Huntingdon don't have the guards needed to make a deep post season run.  Anyone else agree or disagree?

I think that it’s hard to argue against GC and Greenfield until a Single A school beats them.  GC is coached by a legend who is an excellent coach and great person.  Greenfield has excellent coaching as well.  Both teams have extremely talented, high IQ, basketball players.  I disagree with your comment about TCA post players.  That’s our hidden gem.  Granted, they didn’t play well against USJ but they proved against Crockett Co that they can play well against the great teams.  Don’t count TCA out.  I would say the same about Dresden and Gleason.  All three are quality teams but until one of them knocks off one of the two stud teams they will be playing second fiddle. This has been great conversation and hopefully this thread will continue for awhile.  

25 minutes ago, Intense said:

I think that it’s hard to argue against GC and Greenfield until a Single A school beats them.  GC is coached by a legend who is an excellent coach and great person.  Greenfield has excellent coaching as well.  Both teams have extremely talented, high IQ, basketball players.  I disagree with your comment about TCA post players.  That’s our hidden gem.  Granted, they didn’t play well against USJ but they proved against Crockett Co that they can play well against the great teams.  Don’t count TCA out.  I would say the same about Dresden and Gleason.  All three are quality teams but until one of them knocks off one of the two stud teams they will be playing second fiddle. This has been great conversation and hopefully this thread will continue for awhile.  

I think TCA has pretty good post play but they are not that deep. Alyssa Goehring is a good player. When you lose a post like Savannah Lee, you feel it. But I think Alyssa can play and will get better as the season goes. I will say this. GC and Greenfield look like the two best teams so far because they have both played a beast of a schedule and won against some tough teams. But TCA, Peabody, Gleason, Dresden and Union City are good teams that can knock either off if they have a bad night.

2 hours ago, Intense said:

TCA has a very solid starting 5 with great guards but little depth.   I guess I am comparing this year's team with last year's.  Last year TCA had a post that they played through and that could take over a game.  The guards were good last year but still inexperienced.  This year, it looks like the opposite.  Guards are playing well and post play is not as experienced but has a lot of potential.  In the games I have seen, the points for the posts have come from stick backs and fast breaks.  They do run the court well.  I think next year will be the year for TCA when all 5 starters have major experience.  That said, GC and Greenfield have played beast schedules.  Kudos to both of them. I think it will help out come February.

I'll just say this I wouldn't count Peabody out. Something always seems to happen around January with this group to where everything starts clicking! They're off to their best start this year in many years, very young and inexperienced with 5 sophs playing, but I think they will start coming around at the right time. Other teams to me have already peaked! Peabody has had a couple losses lately due to illness, injuries and best player being suspended because of a hot headed official! Something really need to be done about the officiating in the west! There needs to be some accountability!  I know Peabody plays a very good team out of Mississippi 4A this week at Milan. State ranked and undefeated I think so that will be another game to go on their schedule that is as tough as anyone's around. I wouldn't count them out, Hart gets them playing their best at the right time coming down the stretch. And their pressure defense will cause problems for teams! 

On 12/25/2018 at 2:48 PM, BullShark said:

TCA has a very solid starting 5 with great guards but little depth.   I guess I am comparing this year's team with last year's.  Last year TCA had a post that they played through and that could take over a game.  The guards were good last year but still inexperienced.  This year, it looks like the opposite.  Guards are playing well and post play is not as experienced but has a lot of potential.  In the games I have seen, the points for the posts have come from stick backs and fast breaks.  They do run the court well.  I think next year will be the year for TCA when all 5 starters have major experience.  That said, GC and Greenfield have played beast schedules.  Kudos to both of them. I think it will help out come February.

Pretty good insight!  How many TCA games have you seen?

On 12/25/2018 at 4:02 PM, wingman10 said:

GC has a great chance of winning the gold. Just keep working hard, try to stay healthy, improve and peak come tournament time

I think they got a good shot if they play respectable offensively. Defensively I think they are the best in the state. I think they played their best offensively in a three game stretch in our tournament this past week. We play Gleason tomm. and if we win we will play the Henry County Westview winner. Just got to keep working hard. Keep in mind with their depth I don't think they have a choice but to work hard. If someone is not playing hard, he will put in someone else.

Edited by pioneer42

On 12/25/2018 at 10:10 AM, SuperFan14A said:

I'm not dissing last year's team at Greenfield, but up until this point compared to last year....Greenfield's schedule this year has been twice as difficult. If they hadn't scheduled Arlington or played SS twice, they'd have only 1 loss if they kept the other teams on there from last year. I think GC is a lot better this year compared to last year too. GC and Greenfield are the top two in the West. 

I am calling it now... Greenfield will repeat in Single A! I am hoping for a West Tn championship game Greenfield versus Gibson Co. I haven’t seen GC but they beat us(South Side) at their home but on a neutral site or our house we win by 10 or better! I think Greenfield’s schedule is a little tougher than GC but both played tough opponents. It should be a good one in Single A! Best wishes to both teams & hope both teams stay healthy!