Trousdale at Watertown, region title?

tcjacket13

Wow... what a game. Shout out to the H2O student section. They were AMAZING. I had to sleep on it and let it all sink in. Last years Purple Tiger team would have smoked this years version of the Jackets. By the same token last years Jackets would have smoked this years Purple Tigers. Both teams have a lot of work to do. But iron sharpens iron and I hope these teams will meet again later this year.

Tigers need to figure out how to keep it 1st and 10 and stop putting themselves in 1st and 15 situations. WAY to many mental penalties. The offense and offensive play calling needs to get better. The O-line played better in the second half of this game but it's still no where near where it needs to be. There were 2 TC players in the back field on nearly every snap. Now that has a lot to do with the VERY predictable play calling. On a bunch of plays TC had NO ONE covering a WR. The kids saw it, I saw them telling the coaches, but it was NEVER taken advantage of. And even when they were covering the WR's they were playing 5 to 8 yards off them. That's free yardage that again was never taken advantage of. Except for a couple of passes that went deep, one that connected for a TD, most of H2O's passes were behind the line of scrimmage. Defenses know it's coming and they are usually lined up to stop it this year. Time to change it up coaches. Safe is death, time to innovate. That may mean getting the ball into other players hands. If the O-line can't get to the second level, D-Ray will have no place to go. He can beat one or two guys, but not 4 and 5. So getting the ball into the hands of players that the entire defense hasn't game planned around would, 1) be affective and 2) open things up for D-Ray later in the game. The H2O defense played well. They aren't big, but they are fast to the ball and they swarm. That speed can come back to haunt them as they are too easily deceived by motion and misdirection. They also tackle way too high. Get low! The body can't go where the feet can't take it.

TC needs to find a way to throw the ball, even if it's not successful. Just the threat of a passing game would help the run, which TC has always been great at. Honestly, year after year the boys from the Creek Bank run hard. It's really impressive. But if every team knows that's ALL you can do, it becomes easier stop it, no matter how good you are at it. If TC could throw the ball, even just a little bit they would have won state last year, no doubt. If this years team can find that part of their game, they'd be even harder to beat than they already are.

So overall we saw two good teams play a great game last night. Now it's up to the players and coaching staffs to decide if they want to be great teams or are they satisfied with good. Good is the enemy of great. 

Congrats to Watertown. They surprised many people. I don't think either team is where many thought they would be.

I've watched some of the film from last night, and despite what some say, the best team won. H2O played the majority of the first half on TC's side of the 50, and could've scored more points. Good luck to both teams.

1 minute ago, croz6110 said:

Congrats to Watertown. They surprised many people. I don't think either team is where many thought they would be.

I've watched some of the film from last night, and despite what some say, the best team won. H2O played the majority of the first half on TC's side of the 50, and could've scored more points. Good luck to both teams.

Agreed... I also think H2O was able find some offensive rhythm in the second half last night that will go a long way as the season goes on!