Martin Westview @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

Congratulations Covington.  I know that I've said I would love to see a Covington-Haywood game, but after reading the posts about this game and watching Haywood's lackluster performance against Dyersburg...not so much.  In fact, I shudder at the thought!  I hope your linebacker is okay, and good luck the rest of the way.

12 minutes ago, bglass said:

If a team can tackle after catch they can control Westview's offense. They actually had their best plays running the ball . 

You are right. But, the time that they had first and goal inside the ten, our Chargers stuffed them in 4 plays and took over on downs. Their back did have some good runs, including on their lone TD drive.

Just found a couple of rushing stats for Covington, courtesy of the Commercial Appeal:

Marcus Hayes (junior and Mr. Football candidate from 2018) had 15 carries for 177 yards and five touchdowns, including an 80-yarder on the game’s first play.

Jamarion Dowell (freshman) added 116 yards on just 3 carries, with 2 TD's. 

With running backs like this, the offense for my Chargers appears to have a bright future.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

IMO Covington is the best team in West Tennessee not including the 6A schools in Memphis. Covington has a great defense and that might lead them to a 3A title this year. Covington is legit. Their offense is not flashy but it gets the job done. They have very quick backs and the quarterback can throw the ball good enough to keep a defense honest. 

On 9/21/2019 at 6:55 PM, lakecounty1968 said:

IMO Covington is the best team in West Tennessee not including the 6A schools in Memphis. Covington has a great defense and that might lead them to a 3A title this year. Covington is legit. Their offense is not flashy but it gets the job done. They have very quick backs and the quarterback can throw the ball good enough to keep a defense honest. 

On behalf of the Covington team and coaches, this fan wants to thank you for the kind words. Covington is the small public school in Tipton County, where there are also two 5A schools (Munford and Brighton). It's not always easy to win against these bigger schools for local bragging rights.

Covington also plays in Region 7-3A, with competition like South Gibson County, Milan, McNairy County, and Westview. I believe that this is the toughest 3A region in the state. I think that means if you survive in this region, you are pretty seasoned. 

I really like where our team is right at this point in the season. If we can stay healthy, I would hope that your forecast could happen. We'll see.