Knox County Recruiting Service

Pinocchio007

24 minutes ago, abetee said:

Knox County should consider high schools in between these overcrowded zones, like Cedar Bluff, with no sports (or maybe just basketball). I think a good number of kids would enjoy the vibe of an academic school. If a student wanted to, say, play football they could go to Farragut or Bearden, like at magnet schools. Maybe even have a no sports school in the Hardin Valley area to ease overcrowding. 

Sounds like Knox County needs Schools on Wheels so they can pick up and move where the people are living now instead of driving ten miles away to school when one is across the street from you right now.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:48 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Sounds like Knox County needs Schools on Wheels so they can pick up and move where the people are living now instead of driving ten miles away to school when one is across the street from you right now.

Knox county School Board Politics are the reason for the unrealistic school zones. The school board is elected and so is the Superintendent.

5 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Knox county School Board Politics are the reason for the unrealistic school zones. The school board is elected and so is the Superintendent.

Superintendent hasn't been an elected position here since 1992.

And unless you want to go back to the county-city school merger, good luck trying to fix the zones. So many of the current issues stem from closure decisions that were made during that time.

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

He is elected by the school board. Even though it's 9 members, they vote who is in office, or who is out. Superintendent is subject to removal also by school board. It's still political.

Just curious, but how would you prefer that a superintendent be chosen? State law changed the superintendent selection process in 1996, so this would be a state-wide issue, not just a KCS problem.

Edited by osunut2

28 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Just curious, but how would you prefer that a superintendent be chosen? State law changed the superintendent selection process in 1996, so this would be a state-wide issue, not just a KCS problem.

I would rather have the Superintendent of Knox County Schools elected by the voters of the county instead of voted in or out by 9 people. 

13 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

I would rather have the Superintendent of Knox County Schools elected by the voters of the county instead of voted in or out by 9 people. 

I do agree that I would prefer an elected superintendent, as long as the individuals running are "qualified" to do the job.

Edited by osunut2

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

WRONG!!! Then you guarantee him four years tenure with no recourse for actions during that term. The nine people who appoint (not elect) the Director of Schools are voted in by the public, so you DO still have a voice. They can also fire the DOS.

• Upvote 1

It's not an "elected" position. It's a hired and contracted position. 

That said, I really don't like that the superintendent only has to keep 5 (simple majority of the 9 school board members) people happy to keep his/her job.  The problem is that with the school board members being district elected, one can only vote for the persons running in the district in which you live.  One has no say on the other board members, so there is little accountability overall.  I would like to see some "at large" members of the board who have to run and be elected county wide, like some councils and boards are set up in other municipalities.  

On 9/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, tradertwo said:

WRONG!!! Then you guarantee him four years tenure with no recourse for actions during that term. The nine people who appoint (not elect) the Director of Schools are voted in by the public, so you DO still have a voice. They can also fire the DOS.

They have to vote him/her out, it's an election when you vote. Just a smaller number.