Science Hill @ Dobyns-Bennett (Region 1 Championship)

DBKPT93

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

I'd like to have seen DB come into Alcoa undefeated.......that would have added a lot more hype to next weeks matchup.  Maybe the Tribe come in mad, ready to makeup for that loss? :-o

Well I don't think getting mad will help them cover a receiver on defense and it would probably up their penalty count. I wonder what the record is for most penalties in a game? Maybe we could go for that. DB has had 23 penalties for 217 yards in the last two games against two teams with losing records. Maybe that's a record? Only "DB" at 8-1 could lose the #1 seed in the playoffs to a team with a 4-5 record. It's to the point where you just have to laugh about it. 

17 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Tonight I suppose you could say SH was the better team, but in no way is DB out of it, they still have a very fine team.

When playoff's roll around regions 1 & 2 everyone very equal except Maryville. Any given night anyone can win or loose except Maryville much to the disbelief of the DB fans with them parent goggles on. Its been hilarious this week listening to all the DB fans believing they could play with the Rebels. They will get introduced to Blount county  football this week at Alcoa and in 2 weeks at Maryville if they beat Bradley or Mcminn 1st round.

32 minutes ago, toppernationfan said:

When playoff's roll around regions 1 & 2 everyone very equal except Maryville. Any given night anyone can win or loose except Maryville much to the disbelief of the DB fans with them parent goggles on. Its been hilarious this week listening to all the DB fans believing they could play with the Rebels. They will get introduced to Blount county  football this week at Alcoa and in 2 weeks at Maryville if they beat Bradley or Mcminn 1st round.

You didn't hear that from me. Actually the only one I saw that kind of talk from was blazer who is a Daniel Boone fan. That's db, not DB. I don't think DB will need to worry about Maryville though. 

Now I don't personally know this but according to the announcers on Sports Monster, DB just lost outright ownership of 1st place.  Depends on what happens next Friday. SH can not win 1st place on their own.  That depends on an unlikely loss by Farragut or some such based on standings. They seemed to think it would take a wierd twist of events for DB to not end up 1st seed. Somebody verify all this????

23 minutes ago, DBGRAD70 said:

Now I don't personally know this but according to the announcers on Sports Monster, DB just lost outright ownership of 1st place.  Depends on what happens next Friday. SH can not win 1st place on their own.  That depends on an unlikely loss by Farragut or some such based on standings. They seemed to think it would take a wierd twist of events for DB to not end up 1st seed. Somebody verify all this????

If Science wins Friday night its a 2 way tie with DB for first place. Science Hill will be the 1 seed because they beat DB head to head. Farragut lost last night making this possible.

A little trivia just to irritate the band hater.

The DB band just got awarded Grand Champ 1st overall at the Lynchburg Regional Bands of America Championship!

I wonder how that would have worked out with damaged instruments.

I expect that the full band will be at any home playoff game and a pep band at away games.  Why? Because it costs over $7000 to transport the whole band (before somebody smarts off).

1 hour ago, DBGRAD70 said:

The DB band just got awarded Grand Champ 1st overall at the Lynchburg Regional Bands of America Championship!

I expect that the full band will be at any home playoff game and a pep band at away games.  Why? Because it costs over $7000 to transport the whole band (before somebody smarts off).

Best band in the state without question.Lot of the time over the years as you already know,the band has competitions during the playoffs anyway,nomatter if it's away or home.The biggest thing that most of us who never had kids in the band would get upset about is folks leaving after the half time show.The kids in the band are still working hard until the end to support the football team,so why couldn't their parents stay and atleast support their own kids in the band  even if they don't give two cents about a football game.I guess it's their ticket to do with as they please would be their answer.Myself,I always liked watching my son and his teammates go over to the band and the students after the game .Would think more band folks would enjoy that just the same.

5 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

Best band in the state without question.Lot of the time over the years as you already know,the band has competitions during the playoffs anyway,nomatter if it's away or home.The biggest thing that most of us who never had kids in the band would get upset about is folks leaving after the half time show.The kids in the band are still working hard until the end to support the football team,so why couldn't their parents stay and atleast support their own kids in the band  even if they don't give two cents about a football game.I guess it's their ticket to do with as they please would be their answer.Myself,I always liked watching my son and his teammates go over to the band and the students after the game .Would think more band folks would enjoy that just the same.

I was a band parent years ago but I loved football too.  I never left a game early ... Well maybe into 4th qtr and DB ahead by 35 points and wife wanting to go. I did not like the fact that so many left after half time either. But that is no reason to run the band down, especially if they are competing at such a high level and being so successful.  They are one of the many blessings at DB.

As much as I am personally irritated by Lafe Cook, he is an exellent band director.  His ego that makes him somewhat irritating gives him the drive needed to be a winner.  We need a touch of that in our football coaching.  The drive to get better an better. Don't say good enough with a 10-0 season.  Don't say good enough with 40-7 at halftime.   Do we have that now? I'm doubting. Heck, most of the coaches are the same. I still say get rid of any coach who is satisfied with anything less than a win at state championships. Gone.

BTW, that was the final competition this year.  Band is here for the playoffs if needed.

Edited by DBGRAD70
more info

10 hours ago, DBGRAD70 said:

I was a band parent years ago but I loved football too.  I never left a game early ... Well maybe into 4th qtr and DB ahead by 35 points and wife wanting to go. I did not like the fact that so many left after half time either. But that is no reason to run the band down, especially if they are competing at such a high level and being so successful.  They are one of the many blessings at DB.

As much as I am personally irritated by Lafe Cook, he is an exellent band director.  His ego that makes him somewhat irritating gives him the drive needed to be a winner.  We need a touch of that in our football coaching.  The drive to get better an better. Don't say good enough with a 10-0 season.  Don't say good enough with 40-7 at halftime.   Do we have that now? I'm doubting. Heck, most of the coaches are the same. I still say get rid of any coach who is satisfied with anything less than a win at state championships. Gone.

BTW, that was the final competition this year.  Band is here for the playoffs if needed.

Agree with most everything ,one Lafe  Cook is about all a town this size could take ! Just kidding,he is a great band director but your not the first to talk about his ego and it probably wouldn't hurt for all the coaches to take nothing less then a state championship as being a great year.I know That's how my old school looks at it.Our problem has become some of the fans egos in Greeneville.That would never happen in Kingsport,haha.

17 hours ago, DBGRAD70 said:

No offense intended, but here's your link:

https://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php?/forum/67-band/

And I am really not a band hater.  Music is a huge part of my life, and my kids were involved in music, but weren't in the band.  It's simply the rule of time and place.