6AAA 2019-2020

Alumn89

• 3 weeks later...

Cookeville played really well.  They doubled Slatten to make him give it up early and then tried to deny it back to him.  Slatten did Slatten and was a stud.  He is so good.  Love watching that kid play.   Cookeville missing their starting PG and probably their best perimeter defender hurt them late.   Cookeville started and played two freshmen most of the night with the 3rd out with an injury.  They are going to be REALLY REALLY good in a couple years.  The freshmen class coming in this year is stacked again.  Cookeville is a very solid team and can play with anyone in 6AAA.

Late getting here but my thoughts on the Sparta/CHS game 

-Slatten was as good as I've ever seen around the Upper Cumberland.  That is some high praise, but he was that good Friday night.  Hats off to him. 

-Interested in any info on the two players missing from the game.  Nash from WCHS and Ayers from CHS.  The broadcaster was unclear or didn't know why these two weren't playing.  I think they clearly both missed their respective guards. 

-Heard was good for CHS.  Shot the ball really well and handled it too.  

-CHS had way too many turnovers.  Other than that, I thought they played well.  Had a chance to tie it late in the 4th quarter at the line but missed 2 out of 3.  It should be another great game the next time they play.   

I'm not sure anyone thought Cookeville would be this far along at this point.  Clearly they have 2 stud freshmen, with a couple more playing big minutes on the bench.  But the play of their seniors and junior Oakley down low has been a bright spot.  

Will be interesting to see if they can win one at home tonight vs a Stone team picked ahead of them.

Hate to hear that.  Hope he recovers quickly

Cookeville absolutely played terrible tonight in  a loss to Stone.  I don't think they can beat many people playing that way.  Probably shot 30% or worse as well , which doesn't help matters. 

I know we are young, but 0-2 is a tough way to start with Warren Co up next! 

Stone Memorial's defense may have had a little something to do with Cookeville playing "terrible" & "30%" last night.  

They held CHS to only 6 points in the 4th Q.

Stone is only giving up 42.7 points per game in their first 3 district contests.  Going (2-1) with a loss at Warren Co. without (Eldridge) probably their best defender - out with ankle injury.  

Stone has had some off nights on the offensive end of the floor, but they will guard and make teams earn buckets every night.  

2 hours ago, ThePinkPanther said:

Stone Memorial's defense may have had a little something to do with Cookeville playing "terrible" & "30%" last night.  

They held CHS to only 6 points in the 4th Q.

Stone is only giving up 42.7 points per game in their first 3 district contests.  Going (2-1) with a loss at Warren Co. without (Eldridge) probably their best defender - out with ankle injury.  

Stone has had some off nights on the offensive end of the floor, but they will guard and make teams earn buckets every night.  

thats all well and good.  But Cookeville has played good defensive teams before and not looked that sluggish.   

Congrats on the win.  

• 2 weeks later...