Rhea Co. @ Powell Round 2

Rhea Co.

2 hours ago, guthook said:

Here's the thing that people forget about high school sports.  The Powell kids aren't cheating.  If anyone is cheating it's adults.  So the Powell kids will "be able to look in the mirror the next morning" too.  Hold off on your righteous indignation...

Spot on. What happened last year was no different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Victorioussecrets said:

I wouldn’t say ALL schools in Knoxville are recruiting. I would be willing to bet my paycheck that Hardin Valley, Farragut and Bearden aren’t recruiting. I know of one of the Powell freshmen that played on every youth football team in Knox County. His dad has shopped him around like it’s Black Friday. Stuff like this is what’s hurting high school football. 

There is definitely a lot of shopping going on. Happens all the time, but most find a legal avenue, either a legitimate transfer, legit address change ect, it’s not terribly hard to legally transfer in Knox co which can lead to kids parents having enough power to say ohhh school A won’t play you? Well you can go to Some other school and it’s not too hard to make it happen.

Edited by Bluegreymom

6 hours ago, Bluegreymom said:

There is definitely a lot of shopping going on. Happens all the time, but most find a legal avenue, either a legitimate transfer, legit address change ect, it’s not terribly hard to legally transfer in Knox co which can lead to kids parents having enough power to say ohhh school A won’t play you? Well you can go to Some other school and it’s not too hard to make it happen.

Is it legal, ok under the T$$AA rules for a Head Coach,( Matt Lowe), to be on a social media app with players from other schools? Can they have any contact per T$$AA rules?                All the legal transfers you are describing is not what is really happening here. Lowe targets players from other teams that he has had contact with when they are in middle school. He has coaches and friends/aquaintences that also knew them in middle school that keep in contact with these players even though they don't go to Powell as a freshman. Lowe and these other Powell coaches/teachers/aquaintences continue their contact withe these players and parents to convince them to go to Powell even though they play at another school. One such player Lowe and the Powell coaching staff/ support staff are targeting started all 10 games for the school he played for now. He had a great season for a freshman. So it not about lack of playing time.    What the real bad part of this is about is Lowe targets players who live in government housing and does not have deep roots where they live. They could easily move to another part of town with a little help from some of Lowe's support staff. If you don't think this happens in Knoxville, East Tennessee, the whole State/country, you have your head stuck in the ground.

Josh Jones probably  has contact info for every parent of a 7th and 8th grader that plays in this city and surrounding areas ... his connections with the all star games he has ran ... I don't care for Lowe or his cockiness  .. but he is smart  . Hiring a youth football coach who can and is getting players  ... if he can get all the kids to buy in .. he is a heck of a recruiter ... that's the only reason he is that position ..  he definitely hasn't earned his keep  .. but Lowe is sneaky .. shady ...  and will win at all costs ..

2 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Is it legal, ok under the T$$AA rules for a Head Coach,( Matt Lowe), to be on a social media app with players from other schools? Can they have any contact per T$$AA rules?                All the legal transfers you are describing is not what is really happening here. Lowe targets players from other teams that he has had contact with when they are in middle school. He has coaches and friends/aquaintences that also knew them in middle school that keep in contact with these players even though they don't go to Powell as a freshman. Lowe and these other Powell coaches/teachers/aquaintences continue their contact withe these players and parents to convince them to go to Powell even though they play at another school. One such player Lowe and the Powell coaching staff/ support staff are targeting started all 10 games for the school he played for now. He had a great season for a freshman. So it not about lack of playing time.    What the real bad part of this is about is Lowe targets players who live in government housing and does not have deep roots where they live. They could easily move to another part of town with a little help from some of Lowe's support staff. If you don't think this happens in Knoxville, East Tennessee, the whole State/country, you have your head stuck in the ground.

I have no idea if the rumors about coach Lowe are true or not. A lot of people have similar stories so it does seem like a where there is smoke there is fire type of thing. I don’t personally know him or anyone in his program. What I was speaking to was the fact that saying a parent shopped a kid around doesn’t inherently make the school guilty of anything and I was simply citing examples of how parents legally change programs all the time. It was not meant to be a defense of Powell or any other program. Just saying be careful not to equate kids being shopped around with wrongdoing or at least illegal activity in the part of a school because those aren’t necessarily one in the same. 

4 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

I have no idea if the rumors about coach Lowe are true or not. A lot of people have similar stories so it does seem like a where there is smoke there is fire type of thing. I don’t personally know him or anyone in his program. What I was speaking to was the fact that saying a parent shopped a kid around doesn’t inherently make the school guilty of anything and I was simply citing examples of how parents legally change programs all the time. It was not meant to be a defense of Powell or any other program. Just saying be careful not to equate kids being shopped around with wrongdoing or at least illegal activity in the part of a school because those aren’t necessarily one in the same. 

Do you know if it is OK, or legal under T$$AA rules for Coach Lowe to be in contact with players on HS teams that are not on his team. We are not talking about middle school students. These parents have not started the contact with Coach Lowe. Coach Lowe and his support staff have. Some of these people are not even football coaches. They also target young men that play for other teams that did not commit/sign/decide to go to Powell starting their 9th grade year. After these players that Coach Lowe and the Powell support staff have had contact with (as a middle school student) decide to not go to Powell, the contact by Coach Lowe and his support staff should end.                 What is even worse is that Coach Lowe and his support staff often target players that do not have a father in the home and live in government housing that could be influenced to move to greener pastures. Of course this encouragement could come with some monetary help to relocate into the Powell zone. It happens. How do you travel cash.

1 minute ago, BigTime1950 said:

Do you know if it is OK, or legal under T$$AA rules for Coach Lowe to be in contact with players on HS teams that are not on his team. We are not talking about middle school students. These parents have not started the contact with Coach Lowe. Coach Lowe and his support staff have. Some of these people are not even football coaches. They also target young men that play for other teams that did not commit/sign/decide to go to Powell starting their 9th grade year. After these players that Coach Lowe and the Powell support staff have had contact with (as a middle school student) decide to not go to Powell, the contact by Coach Lowe and his support staff should end.                 What is even worse is that Coach Lowe and his support staff often target players that do not have a father in the home and live in government housing that could be influenced to move to greener pastures. Of course this encouragement could come with some monetary help to relocate into the Powell zone. It happens. How do you travel cash.

I mean how do you travel cash.

23 hours ago, 57eagle said:

They may very well "take it out" on Rhea County but our young men will be able to look in the mirror the next morning. You may cheat yourself to a few wins here and there but the day of reckoning always seems to come. If the Eagles miraculously win this game they will have done it the right way and not "if you are not cheating you ain't trying"     GO EAGLES!

I see where you're coming from but the kids are not the ones at fault. It's coaches and school administrators who have to "look in the mirror the next morning" and maybe a few parents. Best of luck tonight and safe travels! 

12 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

No.  That would be a tssaa violation if they're recruiting.  Someone just has to have screenshots and a member school has to turn it in.